Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 05:02 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times

Advertisements

Use the half that's empty with the Ikea chairs and a coffee table, floor lamp with art on the walls as a conversation/reading area. It doesn't look like it was a dining room to me and whether it was or wasn't has nothing to do with anything you use it for now. My daughter had a large empty space in their living area. It was perfect for the hot-tub and greenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 05:30 PM

890 posts, read 2,279,763 times
I love the idea of a game room/lounge! I would get a bigger, slightly taller table for between the chairs so you are able to sit up straight and play poker/cards/etc. I'd do a round table with a base in the middle so you can scoot up and have your legs under the table while playing. Much more comfortable for guests. Move that arrangement towards the back of the room under the window. Then you can get a piece of furniture to serve as a bar. Much cheaper than building one and no impact on resale. Something like this:

You can set up the kegerator and wine fridge next to it or even build something around them to make it look more built in, but I wouldn't do anything permanent that requires affixing to the floor or wall. I'd probably put these to the left of the opening heading into the hall, assuming there are plugs there. To the right of the opening, I think a chaise lounge would be really cool. Guests could use it to sit and talk while you are making drinks, and it would be a nice place to read a book or magazine at other times. Finally, to complete the look the walls should be painted a bit darker and you can add a new, swanky light fixture to tie it all together.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:38 PM

49 posts, read 92,330 times
Thanks for the ideas everyone! It definitely was not a dining room for the previous owners, the room that is the dining room has a nice chandelier in it and is next to the kitchen on the other side of the house. This room is technically probably the family room, because our other room is adjoining the dining room and would typically considered the living room. But whatever, we are setting things up the way we want, not what tradition would say.

We definitely weren't going to "build-in" a bar, but more-so a bar area. Probably have the wine fridge, kegerator and a piece of furniture(similar to the post above) for storing glassware and the booze!

It seems like a lot of the replies are in line with each other. No built in bar, and making in a a defined area that can be used for multiple things(card games, bar area, quiet room for reading or just to watch a different tv show).

Now to start tearing down the wallpaper, ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
I'd probably put these to the left of the opening heading into the hall, assuming there are plugs there. To the right of the opening, I think a chaise lounge would be really cool.
Which opening are you speaking of, since each picture shows a different opening. I'm assuming the one where you can see the bathroom. I really like your ideas! Thanks!

Old 11-10-2013, 04:08 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
You could also put a desk in there and use it (partially) as an office. Not a go in there and work 9 to 5 every day office, but more of a place to pay bills, keep files, etc.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:18 PM

49 posts, read 92,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
You could also put a desk in there and use it (partially) as an office. Not a go in there and work 9 to 5 every day office, but more of a place to pay bills, keep files, etc.
That's a good thought but we actually have one of the bedrooms set up for that. We have 0 kids currently and 4 guest bedrooms, ha!

Old 11-11-2013, 02:12 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzamorski113 View Post
That's a good thought but we actually have one of the bedrooms set up for that. We have 0 kids currently and 4 guest bedrooms, ha!
Well, remember that suggestion when the little Jzamorski's start coming and you run out of spare bedrooms

Old 11-11-2013, 07:54 PM

890 posts, read 2,279,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzamorski113 View Post
Which opening are you speaking of, since each picture shows a different opening. I'm assuming the one where you can see the bathroom. I really like your ideas! Thanks!
Yes I was referring to the photo of the larger opening across from the bathroom, taken from by the window
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating