Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:11 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Ikea sells basically the same sink with much more options for additional accessories starting at $85 vs the $1600 for the Kohler. All the ikea sinks are the same dimensions. Ikea has an entire section of the store dedicated to accessories for these sinks that all fit perfectly.
Huge price difference, I would think Kohler is higher quality and look much better in a higher end kitchen, I wonder if the price is justified, the dampers are nifty at a great price, thanks. The walk-in hearth and scullery another poster mentioned sound ideal to me, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Ikea sells basically the same sink with much more options for additional accessories starting at $85 vs the $1600 for the Kohler. All the ikea sinks are the same dimensions. Ikea has an entire section of the store dedicated to accessories for these sinks that all fit perfectly.

Get a double sink with one deep, the other not so deep.

The dif between Kohler and Ikea is thickness of the metal, and the insulation on the underside of the tubs. This insulation prevents the sink from 'sweating' and dropping water onto the items in the under sink cabinet. Sounds minor, but it is a huge issue.

Not sure the prices you quote are like for like, but I know I didn't pay $1600 for a high quality kitchen sink. Spend an afternoon at Ferguson and you will get a good idea of selection, quality and price. Do No Buy these sorts of items from a Big Box Store. Lower quality, higher price for what you get.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 AM

122 posts, read 306,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Huge price difference, I would think Kohler is higher quality and look much better in a higher end kitchen, I wonder if the price is justified, the dampers are nifty at a great price, thanks. The walk-in hearth and scullery another poster mentioned sound ideal to me, lol.
You get what you pay for. There is a substantial difference on the guage (thickness) of the sink. Lower is thicker. The Kohler is 16 guage, where the Ikea is 19.You would absolutely feel the difference in quality. Research sink gauges and see if this difference is important to you. It is important to me and I'd find other places in my kitchen to save money rather than the sink.

However, there are much cheaper options out there at 16 gauge than that specific Kohler - but it does look fantastic and I'm bookmarking it for my next kitchen. Check at your granite supplier; they will probably have several other options.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
If it is my kitchen, I don't give a rip about what is fashionable or what other people like. It's for me to cook in, so I will have what I like.

Top of the list of desires is a kitchen sink big enough to get the cookie sheets and roasting pans all the way into it. Couple that with a high kitchen faucet for more room. A garbage disposal in the drain of the big deep sink so that all the little scraps that would end up in the strainer basket just get washed down the drain.

I would like one of those 6 burner, twin oven, commercial knock-off cook stoves.

The house I just sold, in addition to lots of regular windows, had huge windows up high. Total privacy, no need for window coverings, and the light in that kitchen was amazing. Good light is very important when you are cooking. You might be able to get the same effect with a couple of sky lights.

I need lots of storage and cabinets large enough for large pots. I like the pull out shelves. I'd also like to have top cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling.

Don't waste you money on one of those adorable little greenhouse windows that goes over the sink. It is too far to reach and water the plants over the width of the sink, and your plants will all bake to death with the heat, anyway.

I happen to like glazed tile counters. No maintenance, everything wipes right off, no staining, no sealing. I have never had any problems with the grout and I never even do anything special to care for it.

If I had the money, I might go full bore commercial with stainless steel counter tops, stainless steel shelving, huge commercial appliances, and a big drain in the middle of the floor for mopping the floor.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:39 PM

550 posts, read 965,729 times
I just went through the thread, but am not sure if anyone suggested either an "open" concept vs. a "closed" one. For me personally, though our kitchen was thoroughly updated relatively recently (5 years ago), I really wish that it was more open. It would make entertaining and watching kids so much easier.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:38 PM

122 posts, read 306,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradivarius View Post
I just went through the thread, but am not sure if anyone suggested either an "open" concept vs. a "closed" one. For me personally, though our kitchen was thoroughly updated relatively recently (5 years ago), I really wish that it was more open. It would make entertaining and watching kids so much easier.
I've only ever had closed. Now I want open. I may end up hating it, but right now it seems so appealing.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:49 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,838 times
Have you tought about concrete countertops. Research it and see what is available. I have these in my kitchen and bath.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,475 times
I don't like open kitchens...you can't just leave the dishes and go do something else because it looks terrible. Not to mention the noise of pots, pans and plates ruins the tv's sound.

If you like the look of wood but want the ease of tile, they've come out with tile that looks like planks. Even the 'big box' stores have it now. Here's an example: Merola Tile Alpino Caoba 17-3/4 in. x 17-3/4 in. Ceramic Floor and Wall Tile (17.63 sq. ft. / case)-FHN18ALC at The Home Depot

Old 11-15-2013, 09:56 PM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Ditto with what everyone has suggested. I like a walk in pantry. I also like a walk in broom closet with a mop sink, it sure makes clean ups easier. A built in desk with shelves for cookbooks, drawer for invitations, phone and computer hook up (in other words, command central).

Old 11-17-2013, 07:06 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I have not read all the posts, but my must haves are a pull out trash and recycle waste baskets, so the trash is always out of sight, and lower drawers, rather than cupboards (or pull out drawers behind cupboard doors).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating