U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:07 AM

258 posts, read 627,315 times

Advertisements

Any estimation as to the cost of redoing the entire kitchen in the picture. I understand there are gazillion factors that one takes into account but to get a ballpark with these in mind :

1. Replace all with dark color cabinets
2. granite or maybe less expensive countertops
3. No L shape of the counter in the new kitchen . to be replaced by an island in the middle with cabinets around it
4. stainless steel appliances
5. floors are ok as is
6. some nice lighting
7.there is some additional space on the left side , not seen in the picture. there, it would be nice to have one of these two
A lengthwise counter with cabinets - a kitchen workstation area if you will
or a long pantry ( not deep)

I have covered the very basic features but like I said, we want to have an idea. any suggestions etc very welcome as this is our first time.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
This kitchen  remodel cost-kitchen.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 AM

32,133 posts, read 74,371,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango14 View Post
Any estimation as to the cost of redoing the entire kitchen in the picture.
I understand there are gazillion factors that one takes into account but...
Nope. Not even gonna try.
Just be wary of doing a Mercedes job in a Chevy house or a GM neighborhood.

Take your floorplan to a big box store...
have them run it through the pretty picture machine. See what comes out.
Do that a couple more times with one variable (not two or more) at a time.

Then do that same thing at a real K&B shop with their own staff of installers.
Go home, mull it all over and then decide where you perceive that the value lies.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:11 AM

28,461 posts, read 79,181,683 times
This appears to be a relative recently updated kitchen, likely with cabinets from one of the "RTA" firms like Ikea. I suspect that the cost to purchase cabinets & countertops were under $12k. Looks like a nicer smoothtop electric cooktop, probably about grand, sink looks cheap, under $400, no idea about wall oven but I would guess over $500, dishwasher looks cheap, under $500. So I guess the question would have to: "Does it make sense to throw away over $15K worth of brand new goodies?"

Personally I would think you'd need to have a whole lot nicer house than what I see in this picture for that to make any sense whatsoever OR be in someplace like Palo Alto, even then the sort of cosmetic do overs the OP is suggesting are NOT going to reallly enhance one's use of this home / increase market value...

Old 11-20-2013, 02:01 PM

15,731 posts, read 58,667,895 times
I agree with chet-
Looks like a nice update, done quite recently. And it goes with what appears to be an MCM.

It would be a waste to toss it all-

...and to do an island PROPERLY, you'd need to add at least 2' to the width of the kitchen.

But to answer your question- $40k+

Old 11-21-2013, 12:03 AM

30,047 posts, read 20,997,337 times
If you want more function, I'd say replace the cooktop with a good gas model, replace the sink and fixture, and get in some lighting.

Otherwise the kitchen looks like it would work well. You have some workspace. The house it is in seems to be midcentury modern. The kitchen fits in well with it.

I think you could make a good work space with out completely remodeling.

As your appliances wear out, you can replace them with stainless.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:49 AM

I think the kitchen looks better in the photo ... The appliances are old , dirty and not very good. We thought since we are getting the appliances and replacing the sink, why not create more space and cabinets by doing an island ( there is plenty of room) and a pantry. For the island, the L shape would have to go and hence the whole thing. That's the reasoning. The inside of the cabinets are Old fashioned and a couple of burn marks on the so-so counter.

There is ample space for an island and pantry. Is there any other way to go about this without gutting it all out as many posts have suggested? Thanks

Old 11-21-2013, 09:35 AM

The picture does not show a whole lot of detail but I really doubt "the inside of the cabinets are old fashioned" is acurate -- when I think "old fashioned" that usually conjures up an image like this

All kidding aside I can understand that maybe the picture looks a little better than reality but the thought that you could get rid of the L and somehow not trash everything else shows a basic misunderstanding of how kitchens are outfitted with cabinets & countertops -- especially because of the exposed legs these cabinets are NOT going to be easy to modify.

Similarly while you say you have "plenty of room for an island" the reality is that if you want to call a 18X24 table your "island" you are kidding yourself -- How Much Walking Space Is Required Around a Kitchen Island? Small Space Solutions | The Kitchn

Seriously it does not take a brain surgeon to look at the picture and know that an island is NOT really going to work -- the space for the fridge is almost certainly less than 32" and that drawer next to it is no more than 12", assuming the L is symmetric then that means a 30" deep island base with just one inch of overhang (very very modest and almost non-functional...) would leave a walking aisle of just one foot, that is not safe / workable. The door is is similarly no more than 30" wide and if you try to position an island so that it intrudes on the aisle created on that side you will have an absolutely unpassable situation.

I would not consider making any changes to this kitchen until / unless things are actually broken. When that happens I would give consideration to putting the sink under the window, a far more popular location, and generally not an issue in a properly insulated home in any climate. Although having the range / cooktop on the same wall as the sink would not be my first choice with the ceiling configuration shown I know using a hood that vents through the roof would add LOTS to the cost and you really do not have a big enough kitchen to give you many options, but I do know that no experienced kitchen designer would have plopped down the cooktop way at the end of a run of counter as that leave insufficient room for safely resting even a spoon at alongside that edge of the cooking area.

I think you could get by with less than the amount K'ledgeBldr suggests but even if you "bargain hunt" you are still looking at probably $15-20k and that is assuming LOTS of DIY and great deals. If you end up buying straight out of a "big box store" needing to hire professionals you almost certainly will spend more than double that. The worst thing you can do is rely on on folks that don't factor in the real function of a kitchen -- that is why you have as "wasted" window, bad placement of cooktop and current inefficiencies...

Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 AM

I probably should have mentioned that the proposed island would be in THE FRONT in the picture ie not in the space enclosed by the L. Like I said, there is plenty of room in the kitchen beyond the enclosed space shown I the picture. So the island would be between the 'kitchen proper' and the eat-in-area. Does that make sense?

Yes, it is a fairly expensive proposition : will go to big box store and see what they come up with. It looks like it will upwards of 20k.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:16 AM

If the island were to be closer to the foreground of the photo would you impede traffic flow to whatever room is beyond the cooktop? What about passage to the room on the otherwise of the wall that has the sink? Would the counter / wall that currently has a sink be extended? Lots of questions that are not easy to answer without a measured drawing....

Old 11-21-2013, 10:58 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,531,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango14 View Post
Any estimation as to the cost of redoing the entire kitchen in the picture. I understand there are gazillion factors that one takes into account but to get a ballpark with these in mind :

I have covered the very basic features but like I said, we want to have an idea. any suggestions etc very welcome as this is our first time.

Thanks.
DON'T CHANGE IT! It's beautiful. Maybe have the cabinets refinished (sanded/stained) and new counter tops (stainless steel!). But don't change it.

Seriously, if I were closer I'd buy them from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
This appears to be a relative recently updated kitchen, likely with cabinets from one of the "RTA" firms like Ikea. I suspect that the cost to purchase cabinets & countertops were under $12k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I agree with chet-
Looks like a nice update, done quite recently. And it goes with what appears to be an MCM.
Believe it or not, it looks like that kitchen may be largely original given the style of house (MCM). I'd keep them. It looks great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating