U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2013, 12:09 PM
 
701 posts, read 1,302,956 times
Reputation: 1455

Advertisements

Your kitchen has a lot of charm, I really like the cabinetry, wouldn't touch it, I really like the tile and it does appear to be in good shape, I would just regrout it to clean it up, and I would ditch the wood countertop, that looks like someone's afterthought, and match that counter with the others, or get all new countertops that are compatible with the tile, I understand you're putting in a new floor. I think putting a dishwasher between the stove and sink would do more to make the kitchen look smaller than anything, I would leave that space open. Great space.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2013, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Man with a tan hat
799 posts, read 1,387,673 times
Reputation: 1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
Your kitchen has a lot of charm, I really like the cabinetry, wouldn't touch it, I really like the tile and it does appear to be in good shape, I would just regrout it to clean it up, and I would ditch the wood countertop, that looks like someone's afterthought, and match that counter with the others, or get all new countertops that are compatible with the tile, I understand you're putting in a new floor. I think putting a dishwasher between the stove and sink would do more to make the kitchen look smaller than anything, I would leave that space open. Great space.

You know, the more I looks at the pics of your kitchen, the more I think the only real changes you need are cosmetic. Here are some ideas:

1. Get an open standing shelf that fits in the doorway of your servant's entrance for extra storage. This should be somewhat narrow-- kind of like a baker's rack idea, but more the colors of your cabinets. You could probably have someone build something fairly easily.
2. Redo the floors.
3. Buy a small (24" x 24") good quality freestanding butcher block for extra prep space.
4. I don't know what your lighting is like, but get some new pendant lights.
5. Paint the walls white (above the tile)
6. If you want, redo the counters.
7. Get a new fridge that doesn't stick out so far.
8. Think about putting glass doors in some of your cabinets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 08:56 AM
 
2,806 posts, read 9,465,285 times
Reputation: 1624
I like it. It's adorable. Though I would certainly replace out that window. It looks like it's seen better days.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 AM
 
Location: In the city
1,581 posts, read 3,431,136 times
Reputation: 2358
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I like it. It's adorable. Though I would certainly replace out that window. It looks like it's seen better days.
Yes, the apartment has all original windows. I am allowed to replace them but the building has specific historically accurate windows that you have to use. The building is in the process of getting put on the National Register of Historic Places so they are very picky about how it looks externally. That is a future project for sure.

Anyone have ideas on what color to paint the walls? I was just going to do white, but am open to suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 03:01 PM
 
12,499 posts, read 6,927,182 times
Reputation: 12221
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Yes, the apartment has all original windows. I am allowed to replace them but the building has specific historically accurate windows that you have to use. The building is in the process of getting put on the National Register of Historic Places so they are very picky about how it looks externally. That is a future project for sure.

Anyone have ideas on what color to paint the walls? I was just going to do white, but am open to suggestions.
I think a light shade of blue or green with gray tones would look nice in that kitchen. Maybe something like this? My Kitchen at the Cottage – Before & After | The Cottage at 341 South
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 10:55 AM
 
Location: East Coast
2,916 posts, read 4,820,005 times
Reputation: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
A few more ideas:

I like the white retro appliances in the first. How about grey and white tiles instead of black and white?
I really like those gray and white tiles in the second picture (vs. black and white)...makes for a "softer" look, in my opinon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 02:16 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 96,891,109 times
Reputation: 30490
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I really like those gray and white tiles in the second picture (vs. black and white)...makes for a "softer" look, in my opinon.
I came to the same conclusion when selecting finishes to go with my white cabinets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
28,107 posts, read 31,569,576 times
Reputation: 35069
Hopes, the kitchen in post #45 is pretty, but I would be concerned about exposing the pictures to steam and grease from cooking. There is no vent over the stove.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 03:09 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 96,891,109 times
Reputation: 30490
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Hopes, the kitchen in post #45 is pretty, but I would be concerned about exposing the pictures to steam and grease from cooking. There is no vent over the stove.
It's just an inspiration photo. A similar look can be achieved in a practical manner.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2014, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
28,107 posts, read 31,569,576 times
Reputation: 35069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's just an inspiration photo. A similar look can be achieved in a practical manner.
How? Anything hung on the wall is going to get dirty. Cleaning that many pieces would be a PITA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top