Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,547 times

Advertisements

After battling with DH for the past 15 years, he has finally agreed that our den would be nicer without all the bricks! We have two large brick walls with seating hearths. The bricks stick out 3" from the wall and the hearth is another 16" from that, then there's 23 ft. of wall space, to the ceiling, taken up by bricks. This not only dates the house, but it limits what I can do with the room. We've always had it one way, with a sofa and love seat forming an L facing the fireplace. Just recently I figured out the "dueling sofas" thing and I love it. If I remove the bricks, it would just open the space up so much more. And of course there's the option of just keeping the bricks but painting them. And lastly, we could just leave it all alone. Believe it or not, I have as many people tell me they like it like it is, but those people have always been used to seeing it, so I'd like to get your suggestions. I've included lots of photos below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 04:13 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,080,393 times
The photos don't appear. You might have to reload them.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,134 posts, read 80,240,475 times
We dealt with this on one of our fireplaces. I used quick set mortar to fill in the gaps between the bricks and exposed aggregate hearth, then used 2" square slate tiles to cover it. Came out really nice and was an easy weekend job. I would not suggest that for the walls, however. Painting them will be alot easier and cheaper than removing them, which is a very messy job. I'd try paint first and see how you like it.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,208,144 times
My wife also wants to get rid of the brick look. Our plan is to tile over it with a dark slate tile of some kind. Still in the research mode for this. Would love to see pictures though of what you have to work with now.

On a side note we are also going to stucko over the outside bricks of the fire place. Most of the homes here are stucko and the newer homes all have a stucko covered texture cote on the fireplaces that matches the homes stucko. Many include some brick accent though.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:47 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,844,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonnie Sharon View Post
After battling with DH for the past 15 years, he has finally agreed that our den would be nicer without all the bricks! We have two large brick walls with seating hearths. The bricks stick out 3" from the wall and the hearth is another 16" from that, then there's 23 ft. of wall space, to the ceiling, taken up by bricks. This not only dates the house, but it limits what I can do with the room. We've always had it one way, with a sofa and love seat forming an L facing the fireplace. Just recently I figured out the "dueling sofas" thing and I love it. If I remove the bricks, it would just open the space up so much more. And of course there's the option of just keeping the bricks but painting them. And lastly, we could just leave it all alone. Believe it or not, I have as many people tell me they like it like it is, but those people have always been used to seeing it, so I'd like to get your suggestions. I've included lots of photos below.
I would love to see the pictures if you get around to trying to post them again.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:40 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,115,469 times
Yes, you need to try to repost the pics.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:38 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,009,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My wife also wants to get rid of the brick look. Our plan is to tile over it with a dark slate tile of some kind. Still in the research mode for this. Would love to see pictures though of what you have to work with now.

We have a small brick fireplace tucked in a corner of our old split home. Now, I am usually not a fan of brick fireplaces and this one was buff brick, severely ugly. I painted it white to lessen the degree of ugliness while we saved the rest of the home from the 70's renovation.

We finally re-clad the brick with 12x24" dark slate coloured porcelain tiles and a slab of leather finished granite for the hearth.

Should have done it long ago.

Last edited by golfgal; 01-04-2014 at 06:49 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 08:57 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,713,397 times
I love brick fireplaces. They are classic and never go out of style, unlike the trendy fireplaces you'll see these days.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,806,784 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/home-...ggestions.html

OP, here I posed the same type of question and posted my pics. I got some great ideas but have yet to implement them. LOL

Old 01-05-2014, 11:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,244,266 times
Don't paint your brick. I love the brick look. Can't stand painted brick. Just seems like a cheap out. I rather have basic drywall than to paint brick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating