U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:03 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,749,979 times
We tried painting a popcorn ceiling that was circa 1980s and used a sprayer, just like he said, and we stopped. It was just a nightmare because it absorbs all the paint. Only stuff from before the 70's would be asbestos--the newer stuff is styrofoam like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 10:01 AM

141 posts, read 503,377 times
you can paint a popcorn ceiling with a roller. You just have to be careful. If some of it does fall off there is a tube of ceiling repair that you can buy at home depot that works great and matches perfectly. I would have a tube on hand before you even begin. Also any area that you have to repair with the tube of patch should have a coat of kilz put on it before you continue painting. Let it dry good and then continue with the paint. I used regular indoor latex (Behr) and it turned out fine. Once you paint your ceiling you will notice it has a smoother appearance than before, doesn't look so much like popcorn anymore. These ceilings used to be called acoustic ceilings and helped keep larger rooms from souding hollow or echoing. my house was built in 1983 and since I have repainted every ceiling in the house, even the vaulted ceiling in the living room, I am happy with the results. We put up crown molding in all the bedrooms and it looks very nice. Personally I would rather paint the ceiling than take down all that popcorn and possibly be left with bad flat ceiling that cost even more to repair before it could be painted.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:16 AM

1,773 posts, read 5,081,490 times
One observation after painting a popcorn ceiling with latex... you lose the sound absorbing quality of the popcorn. Now we have an echo whereas before we did not. Just something to think about and what I would consider another reason to leave the ceiling alone completely or to remove the popcorn.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:33 AM

20,804 posts, read 29,203,892 times
We have painting many ceilings that have that popcorn stuff with a thick nap roller and no problems. The first house was an older house and we were concerned about asbestos so we didn't want to attempt removal. We had to put on 2 coats of paint but that isn't unusual. We liked the look so much we painted all the ceilings in our next house and again, no problems. We were in the paint store and someone was questioning the paint guy about painting his ceilings and he was telling the guy the same thing everyone here is, it is difficult and the stuff falls off. We told him the exact opposite.

All of our ceilings are painted a couple shades lighter then the walls in the room and it gives the room such a cozy feel.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:42 AM

967 posts, read 3,163,386 times
You can take a sample of the material and have it tested to see if it contains asbestos. I'm sure you can find the kits if you do a Google search. My step-daughter actually found they had asbestos even though the condo was built in the 80s. I guess the builder must have used older materials. If it does contain asbestos you're supposed to have it removed professionally. good luck!!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:47 PM

11,848 posts, read 10,269,706 times
Ugh, I am having flashbacks. I painted my popcorn ceilings because they were white with silver glitter in them, and I wanted the ceilings a blush color, anyway I used very fluffy roller........
Some of it will fly off, and I'm talking 747 here, so cover EVERYTHING.... Once the first coat is dry the second coat goes on easier with no fly off.........

I think it would have been better to have someone come in and spray them, but that also everything must get covered.

*** Even though I still like the popcorn, I would never ever ever ever popcorn any other house I ever live in again, so help me ***

Old 05-27-2009, 09:29 PM

1,571 posts, read 3,252,476 times
I have no idea what all the fuss is about. I've painted dozens of popcorn ceilings - no trouble at all. I use a roller - but seldom a big fluffy one, I'd say medium on the fluff.

I use 2 coats - the first one fairly light, --if the poopcorn gets too wet and heavy it could fall off) the second coat heavier. Be sure it's completely dry before the second coat. It's a messy process if the popcorn has not been painted before - but remember you are painting a textured surface! Yes, some of the popcorn will come off - but less will on the second coat. I wrote an article about painting a popcorn ceiling - if you'd like a copy send me a direct message.

If you want to remove the popcorn simply spray it with warm water and scrape if off. The water will cause the popcorn to become a slury and it will just scrape off. Spray small sections - spray as you go. Even if it's older and does contain asbestoes - you can't inhale a slury. I don't worry about it.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:09 AM

433 posts, read 1,067,671 times
My previous house had popcorn ceilings. When I was painting the wall and got paint on the ceiling and tried to wipe it off with water the popcorn just fell apart. I can't imagine that a roller saturated with paint wouldn't just ruin it.

I know most people hate this stuff and I didn't like it either but every house we looked at new or old in Savannah, GA had this ceiling. It is so outdated everywhere else but there even the new construction has it.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 AM

15,820 posts, read 28,597,550 times
I tried painting some with a spong roller. it worked great up until I got to the last 9-16 square feet. That section became saturated with paint and then fell on my face. It was too large an area to replace so we had to remove it all. Use a graden sprayer with warm water and it comes right off. It wsa so easy that we ended up removing all of it in the whole house. As noted above, since it was turend into a slurry by the water, I did nto worry about the aesbestos. Of course your can end up with disposal problems.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:35 AM

1 posts, read 35,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
I have no idea what all the fuss is about. I've painted dozens of popcorn ceilings - no trouble at all. I use a roller - but seldom a big fluffy one, I'd say medium on the fluff.

I use 2 coats - the first one fairly light, --if the poopcorn gets too wet and heavy it could fall off) the second coat heavier. Be sure it's completely dry before the second coat. It's a messy process if the popcorn has not been painted before - but remember you are painting a textured surface! Yes, some of the popcorn will come off - but less will on the second coat. I wrote an article about painting a popcorn ceiling - if you'd like a copy send me a direct message.

If you want to remove the popcorn simply spray it with warm water and scrape if off. The water will cause the popcorn to become a slury and it will just scrape off. Spray small sections - spray as you go. Even if it's older and does contain asbestoes - you can't inhale a slury. I don't worry about it.
Do you mind to send me a copy of your article regarding "painting a popcorn ceiling? I intend to paint my apartment which has popcorn ceiling and I hate them. I don't like to use an airless sprayer because it will fly everywhere (will be a messy job). I would like to try your way of doing it.

Thank you very much for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating