Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:36 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times

Advertisements

I stand at 6' 1" barefoot. I have known for long time that I am too tall for the majority of home bathrooms. The big issue I have is with above-sink mirror placement; 9/10 they are always too low and I have to stoop over to shave, comb my hair, and in most instances to brush my teeth. My line-of-sight either falls directly onto to the top of the mirror or above it.

Next, the toilet. These almost always seem to be too low. To add, the bowls themselves seem as if they are meant more for a petite woman than an average-sized human being and definitely not for a man.

I'll leave bathtubs out of this since most Americans prefer to shower....but still....practically all are too small for a person of my height. I do like the occasional soak.

To end, shower heads. Most, in my opinion, are too low for a person of my height.

With that, I am looking to remodel two bathrooms in my home. All of the above issues can easily be rectified to suit everyone, but given the prominence of "short people" bathrooms found in practically every home, I am wondering if this is because of building code or perhaps just a "standard practice"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 12:01 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
K-Luv,

I have to agree with you that bathrooms are designed for people under six feet tall. It has become more popular when renovating to put in a vanity that is a few inches higher (think vanities made by makers of kitchen cabinets rather than the ones in stock at Home Depot). This forces the mirror above the vanity to be placed higher. It is also more popular recently to buy the new toilets that are about 2" higher than the standard height. These new higher toilets are popular for older adults as they age when they have more mobility issues.

Consider keeping at least one "standard" bathroom in the house that will be suitable for children and petite adults. The new taller vanities and higher toilets are not very kid friendly.

You might want to consider updating one bathroom with a taller vanity and toilet and leaving what would normally be considered the kids bathroom at the "standard" height.

Mary2014

Old 04-08-2014, 12:07 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I would say back when homes didn't have master bathrooms, bathrooms might have been built to suit all who use it in a family. As time went on, perhaps plumbers and fixture manufacturers took note of how many homeowners wanted "custom" fits for their needs and began putting shower heads higher, making tubs longer and vanities taller.

From a Time Magazine article:
Quote:
We have been increasing in height for about 140 years. Our health & diets have improved considerably. We have much better vitamin, mineral and protein intakes and we have fewer diseases which decrease nutrients needed for the body to grow.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:11 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Rethink the toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Next, the toilet. These almost always seem to be too low.
Actually, squatting is anatomically better than sitting upright.
So, low is OK.
Best would be squatting outside in the field.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health...sit_there.html

Old 04-08-2014, 03:26 PM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times
I am only 5'9" and most showers seem designed for people shorter than me. I like using a shower wand, though, and found that some of them "sit higher" than others. Right now I have a Delta shower wand that seems like it adds a little height compared with my prior shower wand. Maybe not enough for you! But at least it might help a little.

I also had to adjust the mirror height in one of my bathrooms because it was too low. Luckily it was an easy fix.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:19 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,279 times
I'm your height and have the same issues. Remember that the bathroom is designed for the least common denominator. If the sink were 4 feet off the ground, then a small child wouldn't be able to use it

Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
IMHO its the way it always was, doesn't mean that it should be that way now or in the future.

I'm 6'1"-6'2". Every bathroom I've renovated (my old house and my current one which has 2.5) I have "fixed" the bathroom to accommodate me. My wife is 5'5" and mostly is not inconvenienced by it either as long as both people are present when hanging the mirror.

bathroom cabinets in general are now built higher, those 2-3 inches extra in height really do make a difference.

you should get a "comfort height" or ADA toilet, these are a few inches taller and still considered normal. additionally, get an elongated toilet bowel.

Mirror placement can be dicey, but make sure you get something tall enough and place it with yourself and partner in mind.

Put your shower heads at 7 feet or a little more and you'll be happy.

the tub, is an issue, hard to fix in a small bathroom. they do make longer tubs, and they make deeper tubs. In our master we put a 5'6" Kohler Tea for Two tub.... its big enough, although I wouldn't shower in it...

Old 04-09-2014, 12:21 PM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Yes - builder grade is designed for "average" height:>( You can make quick fix adjustments form adding handheld shower heads on rails to medical potty seats to serious remodel.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:00 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
You should consider getting an adjustable height shower arm or bar.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:41 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I
Next, the toilet. These almost always seem to be too low. To add, the bowls themselves seem as if they are meant more for a petite woman than an average-sized human being and definitely not for a man.
You don't even need to be that tall! I'm tall for a woman (almost 5'10") and even though I'm "young" I've had bad knees for A LONG time. I hate when I walk into the bathrooms only to see the shortest toilet possible. (Even worse when people say they squat/stand over the toilet and I can't do that because I can't really balance myself so yuck on those gross public toilet situations.) Once in awhile, I walk into a bathroom with a very high toilet and I think it's quite nice. I would love to get one of those.

I don't know---I'm used to the regular ones, though I prefer the tall one (and if I was remodeling my own home, I'd think about getting one) I just can't stand the really short ones. Most people go for standard so that's what is done. And I agree with Mary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating