Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 09:37 PM

61 posts, read 230,038 times

Advertisements

I need help deciding how to layout furniture in my living room. I also need help deciding on colors of the sofa, rug, and kitchen bar stools. It's been almost two months since we moved in and we are sooo confused!!

It's open to the kitchen as seen in the floor plan. The walls are a creamy coconut color and the tiles are also creamish. The fireplace has a bunch of different colors like cream, beige, and rust. Our shades are also a creamish color with some browns in it.

I've attached pics below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	floorplan.jpg
Views:	12632
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	129371

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	633
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	129372

Name:	image (1).jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	129373

Name:	image (2).jpeg
Views:	720
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	129374

Name:	image (3).jpeg
Views:	525
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	129375

Name:	photo (1).JPG
Views:	743
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	129376
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 10:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Pretty room. In general, you want to face seating toward and around the fireplace, which is your room's focal point. Because the fireplace is in a corner, that means your seating would probably be catercorner in the room. This is OK. However if you have a TV that also goes in the room, where you put your TV probably is the point at which you want to orient seating. If you plan on placing the TV over the fireplace, then your job is somewhat simplified. You arrange sofa and chairs to face the fireplace and TV. If you place your TV to the left of the fireplace on the blank wall, then you can arrange seating to face it.

Since you haven't given any details about the furniture you have to work with, I can only speak in general. Decide how you want to use and inhabit the room. Watching TV? Listening to music? Those are usually the things we do in family rooms. So, what do you have to work with? You will need a sofa and at least 2 chairs, preferably matching. You will want end tables and a coffee table, and possibly an entertainment center. How do you see the furniture in there? Will it be somewhat formal or very casual?

But the important thing is deciding if and where you will put the TV. After doing that, you can decide how to arrange the seating.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:40 PM

So we have a blank slate to work with! No furniture has been purchased yet. We also don't plan on putting a TV in this room. My husband and I are not big TV watchers and we have a media room for that.

I love the focusing the sofa around fireplace. Problem with that is the husband wants the room to stay open. I was thinking of getting a sectional that starts by the window and goes around the wall on side. But since we are not keeping a TV in this room, it leaves that big wall empty and awkward looking.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
2 questions - what do the windows look out on and are you in an area where you'll use the fireplace for several months a year?

I'd orient towards either the windows or fireplace depending on the answers above.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:02 PM

The windows look out to the backyard. It's just a fence and retaining wall. And I live in tx where I would prob never use fireplace

Old 05-05-2014, 08:07 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
I like your third layout the best. Cute room!

Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckgirl11 View Post
So we have a blank slate to work with! No furniture has been purchased yet. We also don't plan on putting a TV in this room. My husband and I are not big TV watchers and we have a media room for that.

I love the focusing the sofa around fireplace. Problem with that is the husband wants the room to stay open. I was thinking of getting a sectional that starts by the window and goes around the wall on side. But since we are not keeping a TV in this room, it leaves that big wall empty and awkward looking.

You could put tall bookcases on that empty or a sofa table with a huge piece of art above it.

I think a gray sofa/sectional might be nice. But, I would find a rug and then art that I liked and pull colors from that.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
I'd get a sectional sofa and position it like the letter "L" on your floor plan.
The long side would make a natural divider betwwen the living and dining areas. Then you could get a chair or two and put them on the "blank" wall.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the great ideas! Behind that long wall is actually the master bedroom. So this living room is right between the kitchen and master bedroom

Grey is a nice color. What colors would you use to pop out color in this creamish brown room?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating