Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:02 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times

Advertisements

OK, folks, this is going to be my renovations thread for our new house. Or rather, the house that is new to us but that got stuck in 1990 and is about to be LIBERATED!

The hardwood floors come in today and will be delivered today also. They are going to sit in our house for a few days to acclimate and will be laid next week. We ordered the carpet for the stairway and two minor bedrooms and it's going in next week as well. So we decided if we're going to paint, we better do it now!

So...here is the living room - before and after. The previous owners had painted the textured walls in a color that can only be described as flesh colored - a horrid pinkish brown. I swear, it looked just like that old school pancake makeup!

The ceilings throughout the house are ten foot ceilings, so I am really glad my daughter was there to climb up on that scaffolding - I don't play well with ladders and heights!

Before:

Just getting started (about noon):

It took us nearly two hours just to tape everything off! Tons of trim in that room, but I love it.

Finished (about midnight)!

I can't wait to see the hardwood floors in this room - that shag carpet gives me the heebie jeebies every time I walk across it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 07:21 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,413,210 times
I love, love the green on the walls and the layout of the room with the fireplace. This will look amazing with hardwood floors, can't wait to see more pics, once you're done. Congrats on the new house

Old 05-30-2014, 07:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times
Love the green walls!

I wouldn't have painted the horizontal window trim green. It breaks up the windows and makes the ceiling look lower and the windows look smaller. Keeping all of the trim white would have kept it crisp. I'd have all the trim white remove the blinds (because they're also breaking up the window and height), and I'd hang floor to ceiling curtains.

Seriously consider it. It's an easy change because it's only a small area that needs to be repainted. I see the previous owners had it painted the color of the walls, and that's why you did it. Having it painted green draws attention to that scrolling that you wanted to blend into the background so it doesn't fight your style.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Love the green walls!

I wouldn't have painted the horizontal window trim green. It breaks up the windows and makes the ceiling look lower and the windows look smaller. Keeping all of the trim white would have kept it crisp. I'd have all the trim white remove the blinds (because they're also breaking up the window and height), and I'd hang floor to ceiling curtains.

Seriously consider it. It's an easy change because it's only a small area that needs to be repainted. I see the previous owners had it painted the color of the walls, and that's why you did it. Having it painted green draws attention to that scrolling that you wanted to blend into the background so it doesn't fight your style.
Oh, I decided that I like the scrolling - LOL. I'm all in now for that "Southern Living" low country style! It's too prevalent in the house to try to fight it. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! After we repainted that room and I saw how all that beautiful molding just "popped" I decided to love it!

The wood trim around the windows is painted off white like the rest of the trim. The insets in the windows are textured like the walls and seemed to be designed to be painted. We didn't repaint the trim and I'm sorry but there's NO WAY I'm going to try to match that trim at this point (as we all know, there is no such thing as "white" trim). But at some point I will, because there are a few places on the trim that need touching up so when I do, I will take your advice into consideration.

As for the blinds, I am just not a drapery person. I love the look of 2" blinds and I have very few window treatments in my current home and those are very minimalist. I don't know...I'll live with it awhile and see. I know that the afternoon sun comes in those windows so I think I need blinds there (I KNOW I don't want curtains that are heavy enough to close and block out the sun). But the room IS formal so maybe some simple drapes that stay open, in a striking color, might look good on those windows. I'll have to get everything in and then decide.

Would you hang them from above the transom windows or just above the lower windows? I'm thinking above the transom windows. That's really tall...but I'm sure there are drapes made in a long length. The ceilings are ten foot ceilings and so those curtains would have to be about 9 feet long. Wow.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:38 AM

I can't wait to get over there today and see what those walls look like in natural, daytime light. I'll post pictures. I was concerned about it looking like green lime sherbert but looking at the pictures again this morning, I think I was just overwhelmed with green paint yesterday! LOL

You might not be able to tell it, but the walls are actually two different colors of green. The accent wall (with the fireplace) is a deeper shade of green than the two side walls. The back wall, across from the fireplace, is also in the deeper shade of green. Here are the colors (Sherwin Williams):

Accent walls (Baize green):
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...9-baize-green/

Side walls (Honeydew):
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...6428-honeydew/

To me, the colors on the walls look a lot less gray and a lot more "lively" than the swatches, which just goes to show that you really can't tell till you put the paint on the walls. That's why I want to get over there and see it in natural light. I will not ever have overhead lights on, so even the pictures from last night are a bit deceiving. I like indirect lighting and have lamps with deep goldish tone shades for the living room, and that will be the lighting in the evening, which will further change the color. So...we'll see, but whatever, because I am committed now - LOL! There is NO WAY I am repainting those walls, unless my husband has a heart attack when he sees it!

Here are the paint colors for the kitchen, which is thru that double archway just to the left of the fireplace so will be clearly visible - the colors seemed to blend well visually in the store so I hope they do in real life!

Lower cabinets:
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...4-svelte-sage/

Upper cabinets:
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...ncient-marble/

It's odd - these colors look gray UNTIL you hold them up to soapstone and the travertine flooring we picked out. Then they are definitely green.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 05-30-2014 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-30-2014, 08:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Would you hang them from above the transom windows or just above the lower windows? I'm thinking above the transom windows. That's really tall...but I'm sure there are drapes made in a long length. The ceilings are ten foot ceilings and so those curtains would have to be about 9 feet long. Wow.
Absolutely above the transoms. You don't want to cut the windows in half. That's partly why I said get rid of the blinds because they are cutting the windows in half. You want long tall and lean. I have first hand experience because I had a transom. I'll post pictures supporting my opinion later.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Absolutely above the transoms. You don't want to cut the windows in half. That's partly why I said get rid of the blinds because they are cutting the windows in half. You want long tall and lean. I have first hand experience because I had a transom. I'll post pictures supporting my opinion later.
OK good - thanks!

Old 05-30-2014, 09:18 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,532,830 times
I like the green, it is a very soothing color on the eye, and yes, the wood floors will definetely make it look even better.

The mouldings are very pretty, look nice.

I like the blinds the way you have them, I think they look nice that way. It does seperate the transom, but that would be something you either like or don't.

I see Hopes said to get rid of the blinds, but do you need them for sun control or privacy issues? Maybe wooden blinds to match the floors?? Pleated shades or cellular than be lifted all the way up, if desired???

As far as draperies, I think because the moldings are so decorative I would hate to see them covered. Maybe just a valance thing swoopy or something???? as to give it warmth, but not serious drapes.....

Maybe a wooden type of pole for a rod, with thin curtains hanging so you can still see part of the molding?
I'm not a curtain person, so I do like the blinds the way they are though. but as far as where to place the rod, either would look good, depending on if you want the transom to be a part of the window, or you like the seperation of the window....

I love the bricks on the fireplace.

Re: the shag rug, but you have to admit, it does look comfortable to lay on!! LOL

Old 05-30-2014, 12:13 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,733,896 times
Wow, that' doesn't look like the same room at all!

Glad you're embracing the molding. It's very, very pretty and it really does pop now.

Paint colors can be so tricky. I had a bedroom similar in color to your new living room, when I was in my 20s. I can't tell you how many tries it took to get the right shade of green! I wanted a sort of jadeite/milk glass color, and it seemed like every swatch I put on the wall looked like mint ice cream.

Speaking of paint, my own walls are a light, silvery grey. It's a gorgeous color but it sometimes skews light blue in certain light. Drives me nuts, I hate it when it looks blue. But it looks great in other light. I've been trying to decide if I hate the occasional "blue moments" enough to deal with repainting or not. I do wish I'd gone a shade or two darker. Life would be so much easier if it was easier to pick paint colors!

Old 05-30-2014, 01:58 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,676,529 times
Very pretty. I like the green and the trim work. Lots of pretty details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating