Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 09:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

We are having an electrician put in another outlet in the master bath. I have one outlet at my vanity, but since I have an electric toothbrush, I have to keep it and the hair dryer together, and I don't like doing that. I want an outlet nearer the sink for the toothbrush.

Later we are going to have new sinks and faucets put in as well. My sink is a horror, with old buildup around a once leaking faucet. And the surface around our sinks is tile with old fashioned grout. I hate it! We hope to get a one piece sink and counter in a man made marble. These are very easy to keep clean. I'd also like to replace the glass doors in our shower. We have two vanities in our master, and this means double cost to change out our sinks and faucets. And--I hate our old brass vanity lights. I'd like to replace them as well.

But--we are the process of choosing new porch lights. The old ones we have are horrid looking. And, we are thinking about putting in two hanging lights in the kitchen over the work island.

Longer term, We are thinking hard about redoing our front room which is a large room that accommodates our office area and my sewing/crafts area. We really need a third sleeping area once in a while, and we might try to fit a sleeper sofa in there. I'll have to downsize some stuff, and we might buy DH a smaller computer desk. DH says, we can work on that in the winter. But I imagine we will still be making choices for the master bath for several months. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 12:22 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
So here is the sort of finished garage/tile project.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-24-2020 at 07:07 AM..

Old 08-08-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We are having an electrician put in another outlet in the master bath. I have one outlet at my vanity, but since I have an electric toothbrush, I have to keep it and the hair dryer together, and I don't like doing that. I want an outlet nearer the sink for the toothbrush.

Later we are going to have new sinks and faucets put in as well. My sink is a horror, with old buildup around a once leaking faucet. And the surface around our sinks is tile with old fashioned grout. I hate it! We hope to get a one piece sink and counter in a man made marble. These are very easy to keep clean. I'd also like to replace the glass doors in our shower. We have two vanities in our master, and this means double cost to change out our sinks and faucets. And--I hate our old brass vanity lights. I'd like to replace them as well.

But--we are the process of choosing new porch lights. The old ones we have are horrid looking. And, we are thinking about putting in two hanging lights in the kitchen over the work island.

Longer term, We are thinking hard about redoing our front room which is a large room that accommodates our office area and my sewing/crafts area. We really need a third sleeping area once in a while, and we might try to fit a sleeper sofa in there. I'll have to downsize some stuff, and we might buy DH a smaller computer desk. DH says, we can work on that in the winter. But I imagine we will still be making choices for the master bath for several months. We'll see.
We are remodeling a bathroom, too, and plan to put an outlet or two inside the vanity, so we can hide the rechargeable things if we want.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:41 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Renovation project in my condo building, we're having all the windows replaced. I'll be getting new window coverings, but haven't yet decided what style. Waiting for the reno work to be done. Can't wait to do this... there was an outdated lacey burgundy blind for one window that I hated, but put off taking it all down before this...

Old 08-09-2016, 07:29 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Well, it only took 2 months (http://www.city-data.com/forum/44346831-post1163.html), but given that I did the work myself (with a little assistance from my wife) and the scope, it's not that bad.

Finished*

As for the why... I'm not sure which I'd place as the greatest annoyance, but there was a 2" step down into the bathroom (the only "step" in an otherwise 1-level house), the Cheap/junky white tiles, cheap/junky press-board vanities, deplorable plumbing job on those vanities (left one would drain about 3~4 times slower than the right, DIY plumbing that didn't meet code), plumbing that stubbed up through the floor vs the wall (person pet peeve), and finally the trim-work was just slap-dash (inch wide gaps that were filled in with caulk, just as one example). It was Easily the lowest quality work in the house and it did no favors to the charm of this 1930's Tudor Revival.

So, I sorta gutted the room... only removed the drywall necessary to fix the plumbing and electrical, raised the floor so the finished height matches the rest of the home, raised the shower head (I'm 6'4", can't stand short shower heads even though I'll probably never use this shower), installed new subway tile in the shower (lol, sorry to those of you who hate subway, it's fitting for this bathroom ~ probably the Most fitting option available), new marble floor tile with a custom design, new marble threshold (old one was an oak stair tread with some quarter round nailed to the subfloor under it, looked wrong/out of place), new vanity, mirror, moved the toilet over a foot and back 3" (felt like it was floating in the middle of the room), and then finished it out. The big black thing on the wall by the door is the HVAC vent (old floor vent cover, screwed to a frame I put under the drywall ~ worlds better than what was there before), beneath it are towel hooks, wife wanted a magnified mirror, the light scones on either side of the mirror are new-old stock 1950's ceramic that matches our other bathroom with Edison/decorative bulbs. Vanity is a marble top unit my wife found, we had a slight gap to the wall so I used marble chair-rail, upside down, as a backsplash. Shower curtains are a standard length now (it was a weird height before, WAY too tall for 72" curtains, but about an inch too low for the standard tall (80"??) curtains).

I don't do the bills, but rough calculation of materials comes to around $2000. It's maybe a bit nicer than the Rest of the house now, but I think a guest bath ought to be nice/have some "wow" factor anyway.

So now I'm working on not getting involved in another house project...

Old 08-09-2016, 07:54 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Well, it only took 2 months (http://www.city-data.com/forum/44346831-post1163.html), but given that I did the work myself (with a little assistance from my wife) and the scope, it's not that bad.

Finished*

As for the why... I'm not sure which I'd place as the greatest annoyance, but there was a 2" step down into the bathroom (the only "step" in an otherwise 1-level house), the Cheap/junky white tiles, cheap/junky press-board vanities, deplorable plumbing job on those vanities (left one would drain about 3~4 times slower than the right, DIY plumbing that didn't meet code), plumbing that stubbed up through the floor vs the wall (person pet peeve), and finally the trim-work was just slap-dash (inch wide gaps that were filled in with caulk, just as one example). It was Easily the lowest quality work in the house and it did no favors to the charm of this 1930's Tudor Revival.

So, I sorta gutted the room... only removed the drywall necessary to fix the plumbing and electrical, raised the floor so the finished height matches the rest of the home, raised the shower head (I'm 6'4", can't stand short shower heads even though I'll probably never use this shower), installed new subway tile in the shower (lol, sorry to those of you who hate subway, it's fitting for this bathroom ~ probably the Most fitting option available), new marble floor tile with a custom design, new marble threshold (old one was an oak stair tread with some quarter round nailed to the subfloor under it, looked wrong/out of place), new vanity, mirror, moved the toilet over a foot and back 3" (felt like it was floating in the middle of the room), and then finished it out. The big black thing on the wall by the door is the HVAC vent (old floor vent cover, screwed to a frame I put under the drywall ~ worlds better than what was there before), beneath it are towel hooks, wife wanted a magnified mirror, the light scones on either side of the mirror are new-old stock 1950's ceramic that matches our other bathroom with Edison/decorative bulbs. Vanity is a marble top unit my wife found, we had a slight gap to the wall so I used marble chair-rail, upside down, as a backsplash. Shower curtains are a standard length now (it was a weird height before, WAY too tall for 72" curtains, but about an inch too low for the standard tall (80"??) curtains).

I don't do the bills, but rough calculation of materials comes to around $2000. It's maybe a bit nicer than the Rest of the house now, but I think a guest bath ought to be nice/have some "wow" factor anyway.

Marvelous! Good job!

Old 08-09-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

Finished*

That floor must have been a bear. So charming!

Old 08-09-2016, 11:30 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So here is the sort of finished garage/tile project.
This turned out really nice! I love the tile!

Old 08-09-2016, 04:30 PM

52 posts, read 39,791 times
That bathroom is so cosy, practical, classy, coordinated and funky! If you really study it its almost a work of art as its combined varying styles well.
I would do something different with that beautiful window though other than that apron looking plain cafe brown curtain, that is the only thing that let its down, I hope you dont mind me mentioning it

Old 08-09-2016, 04:53 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchfries22 View Post
That bathroom is so cosy, practical, classy, coordinated and funky! If you really study it its almost a work of art as its combined varying styles well.
I would do something different with that beautiful window though other than that apron looking plain cafe brown curtain, that is the only thing that let its down, I hope you dont mind me mentioning it
It's actually grey, and no I don't mind. That was made 2 years ago from leftovers (same fabric as our front living room curtains and the strip is simply black bias tape, on a tension rod)... lol. The design is all my wife, I'm just the laborer, I reach high places and life heavy things. Well, I guess I also photograph things (those in the bathroom are mine), and fiddle till things work right (persnickety drain was leaking this morning).

What you are NOT allowed is to make a criticism without also providing an alternative option. What do you think would look right in there? Requirement is covering the lower sash as there is a porch/door on the other side of that window and as it is I can see over the top of the current curtain to anyone standing in there (I'm 6'4"). Uncover the bottom and anyone could see everything in the bathroom. Beyond that simple Functional issue, I'll pose ideas to my wife and give you her unbiased response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating