Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2016, 05:44 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times

Advertisements

I like those handles and they look great painted.

We have that tin tile on our ceiling in our kitchen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 05:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Got the new security door installed on the back of the house. Looks great but the installation is crappy. One of the things we have found living in Las Vegas is a lack of pride in workmanship. It is rampant here. In addition they all expect a tip when they are finished. Nope.

So I'll have to tweak the door myself to get it done right.

And the second chair switch was supposed to be replaced. He opened the package and it was the wrong switch. My chair (the blue ones if you've looked my remodel blog) took 4 trips to get it done. The old story had it wrong. Diogenes wasn't looking for an honest man, he was looking for a competent one.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Restoring a 1927 Magic Chef 1000. It has taken years. However, to have someone do it costs $15,000, so I guess it is worth sending some time on it.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:18 PM

Like this one?

Old 11-07-2016, 04:47 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
[quote=Tek_Freek;46042984]Got the new security door installed on the back of the house. Looks great but the installation is crappy. One of the things we have found living in Las Vegas is a lack of pride in workmanship. It is rampant here. In addition they all expect a tip when they are finished. Nope.

And the second chair switch was supposed to be replaced. He opened the package and it was the wrong switch. My chair (the blue ones if you've looked my remodel blog) took 4 trips to get it done. The old story had it wrong. Diogenes wasn't looking for an honest man, he was looking for a competent one.[/

Where did you get the guy?

Although we haven't experienced it personally, just this week two neighbors let some random guys who came to the door do work for them. We are in the south. We never had this sort of thing up north.

This is what I've noticed here, you need something done, like landscaping, a tree cut down, your house pressure washed, your driveway sealed, or some painting done. Someone knows "a guy". "The guy" is cheaper than a reputable company, probably because he has no insurance. Win, win. So the guy shows up with a bunch of losers who he probably picked up in the HD parking lot, to do the work. The guy is there for the first half hour, then leaves the losers to do the work. Losers do things like plug their extension cords into the house next door. Losers do not do the job the homeowners expect. Chaos ensues.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:45 PM

The door was purchased at Home Depot and the "professional installer" (per the message I was sent) is from a company they use.

We received emails asking for ratings from both. We're hoping we have time tomorrow to let them know what we think.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
[quote=gentlearts;46098655]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Got the new security door installed on the back of the house. Looks great but the installation is crappy. One of the things we have found living in Las Vegas is a lack of pride in workmanship. It is rampant here. In addition they all expect a tip when they are finished. Nope.

And the second chair switch was supposed to be replaced. He opened the package and it was the wrong switch. My chair (the blue ones if you've looked my remodel blog) took 4 trips to get it done. The old story had it wrong. Diogenes wasn't looking for an honest man, he was looking for a competent one.[/

Where did you get the guy?

Although we haven't experienced it personally, just this week two neighbors let some random guys who came to the door do work for them. We are in the south. We never had this sort of thing up north.

This is what I've noticed here, you need something done, like landscaping, a tree cut down, your house pressure washed, your driveway sealed, or some painting done. Someone knows "a guy". "The guy" is cheaper than a reputable company, probably because he has no insurance. Win, win. So the guy shows up with a bunch of losers who he probably picked up in the HD parking lot, to do the work. The guy is there for the first half hour, then leaves the losers to do the work. Losers do things like plug their extension cords into the house next door. Losers do not do the job the homeowners expect. Chaos ensues.
What y'all need is a remodeling contractor that you just call for projects as you choose to do them. For instance, we have used these same contractor for the past three years and she has done the following - one project at a time:

1. Install hardwoods throughout the house.
2. Paint the exterior of the house - trim and siding.
3. Kitchen remodel.
4. Bathroom remodel.
5. We made a list of electrical stuff that needed to be done and then they came out and knocked it all out in a day or two - electricity to shed, to hot tub area, install can lights in kitchen (we realized we needed more lighting), added a few plugs inside and out, hung a light fixture in hall.
6. Patio expansion
7. Driveway expansion

We use a professional company for our sprinkler system - we had to have repairs done on it and we also had to have some heads moved when we extended the patio and driveway. It cost more but they did excellent work.

We have a landscape guy do our yard and do some projects during the year, but we don't let him "find someone" to paint the house or work on the sprinkler system or replace part of the fence, etc - we've found out that doesn't work well.

In other words, we just bite the bullet and pay professionals - and the work is always quality and done on time, with no weird people hanging around the house or yard.

We also have learned that Home Depot or Lowe's crews are NOT "professionals" and we will NEVER use them for any projects ever again.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:23 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
Now that I have pretty much finished up my first floor projects (I still would like to put in a backsplash in the kitchen), I have to start thinking about projects for 2017. What is everyone planning to do in the coming year?

Old 11-12-2016, 08:53 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Now that I have pretty much finished up my first floor projects (I still would like to put in a backsplash in the kitchen), I have to start thinking about projects for 2017. What is everyone planning to do in the coming year?

I have 2 sets of bi fold mirror closets in the bedroom that I want to replace to the standard 6 panel pine doors and they will be stained to match the rest of the doors in the apartment.

But instead of bi fold, I want them to open like a regular door, so that would be two 24" doors in both openings. The mirrors reflect the windows on the opposite wall, which makes the room look bigger and even brighter......so I know this will give the room a much different look.........

but, after living here 30 years, I am at the point where I only windex them once a month, if that.
I just over look the fingerprints or smudges, as I must have windexed them at least 3 trillion times over the years, and I am over it................................................ ...........bigtime!!

Old 11-12-2016, 08:58 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I have 2 sets of bi fold mirror closets in the bedroom that I want to replace to the standard 6 panel pine doors and they will be stained to match the rest of the doors in the apartment.

But instead of bi fold, I want them to open like a regular door, so that would be two 24" doors in both openings. The mirrors reflect the windows on the opposite wall, which makes the room look bigger and even brighter......so I know this will give the room a much different look.........

but, after living here 30 years, I am at the point where I only windex them once a month, if that.
I just over look the fingerprints or smudges, as I must have windexed them at least 3 trillion times over the years, and I am over it................................................ ...........bigtime!!
Sounds like a plan!

I hear you on the fingerprint thing. My upstairs bathroom has one entire wall that is all mirror. I am so over it! I definitely don't clean it often enough. I would really like to make a project of renovating the bathroom, but I'm still recovering financially from all of my 2016 improvements, I don't think I really have the budget for it in 2017.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating