Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 03:01 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times

Advertisements

I have been shopping for my new bathroom faucet. We usually go to Home Depot because I get a 10% discount but Home Depot doesn't seem to have exactly what I want. Everything in the bathroom is chrome. Nothing against chrome but I like the other finishes, too. I THINK I have decided on this:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001CUYG...ing=UTF8&psc=1

It is a little be on the expensive side but not too much. But, if we go with that, then we have to change our toilet paper holder (which is chrome). I looked at Home Depot and the ones they had were on the expensive side-even with the 10% discount. So, I check at good old Amazon again. I THINK I may go with this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/Oulantron-A...95S8YE2KE88S6E

And I will have to find a new hand towel holder.

Then there is the tub. I was only planning on changing out the lever. We have one that you have to go through the cold to get to the hot and I HATE those. I want one that you lift up to turn on. The rest of the hardware is fine-but it is in chrome. We JUST bought a new shower head last year. Is it worth the extra expense to change it all out in the antique brass? Don't know. The question is, can I find what I am looking for in antique brass that isn't too expensive.

I know all of this may sound like a headache but I LOVE this part of renovations-where I get to shop for it. The problem I have is actually deciding which one to go with.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 06:10 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Well, this isn't a glamorous project, but this weekend I am replacing my sump pump which decided to die on me. As of right now, I don't know what is wrong with it. It is immediately tripping the breaker so this leaves me to believe that it is clogged (or completely fried). It is over 10 years old so I am just going to replace it. If I can get it to work, I'll keep it as a backup. While in there, I am going to clean out the pit which is going to be smelly and nasty. I'm not looking forward to this.
Sump pump story.

Yeas ago we had a bad run of luck with sump pumps. So I decided that the next time I replaced one I would add a second one. I found one that ran off water pressure from our house line (requires 3/4" pipe) and installed it.

In 2014 we were in Las Vegas getting work done on our new house and got word that the inspector for our old house found the electric pump had stopped, but the one we added had kept the basement dry. That was a summer of non-stop rain and it would have been one heck of a mess. We had an obnoxious water bill that summer, but less than if the basement would have flooded with furnace, hot ware heater, stuff stored there, etc.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
About to go buy some fencing and continue working on our fence in the back yard one 20 foot section at a time.

It's a long a$$ fence.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:54 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Final planning stages of a bathroom remodel. This house does not have an ensuite so the master BR bath is also the bath for the entire floor (two story house, the main floor is the upper floor, the lower floor is a completely daylight "basement" with 2 br, storage room, full bath, laundry, large den, large home office for the spouse).

From the master bedroom, you either go through the 10x10 walk-in closet and through the pocket door into the bathroom or from the master br into the hall into through the bathroom door. The size and location of the two doors really limits the layout, but moving the doors creates problems with the toilet location and the entire plumbing stack, so either this is a REALLY high dollar reno where we relocate the plumbing stack or we leave all the plumbing fixtures and doors where they are and work around it.

The shower/tub is a fiberglass drop-in replacement and it is NARROW. Because it is in an alcove in the bathroom (the rest of the wall is a deep, long closet), the only way to get the space to make it deeper is to go into the kitchen pantry behind it. By rebuilding the pantry and moving the entire thing forward about 6", I can get almost 12" more for the shower, which would leave me a 40" wide by 58" long shower.I might actually lose some of the shower width and put in one of those narrow multi-shelf "towel walls" between the shower and the bathroom closet. The closet is huge, about 4' wide, so even if I have to lose space from it, it is fine.

The vanity and tile floor will also be replaced. Although I know how to tile, I am going to pay someone else to do the shower pan and tile in the shower, everything else we will do ourselves. I'd really like the spouse to build a custom vanity (which he is fully capable of), but he doesn't really want to. Perhaps if I show him pics with prices of the $2,000+ vanities I like, I can sway that opinion.

Currently dithering over color combos and floor material. I put in a vinyl plank floor in the walk-in-closet that was meant to be temporary until I replace the flooring in the bedroom and I actually really like it - warm underfoot (especially compared to tile), allegedly waterproof, very scratch resistant, easy to clean.

I may just pull out the old tile, put in a thin second subfloor and try the vinyl plank in there. If I don't like it after a bit, I am not out very much money and I can easily put tile and maybe an electric heating mat in.

Someone (Kathryn?) post a pic of a bath remodel that used a gray Moroccan-style tile I really liked, That would be a nice double-layer horizontal band with maybe a nice narrow tinted glass border. It might go with a marble-look porcelain tile I also like, I'd have to see it side-by-side. The disadvantage of living in a small town, I need to travel to see tile samples.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:11 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
About to go buy some fencing and continue working on our fence in the back yard one 20 foot section at a time.

It's a long a$$ fence.
Did that for years. Winter winds kept knocking down sections. Bought an air compressor and a 15 ton hydraulic jack that runs on air as well for pulling the old cement bases. Got old enough I couldn't get them out by myself. The jack would pull them far enough to be loose, but tough to get them all the way out with it. 4 foot footings there. Finally had it replaced. Much easier.

Someone else's problem in 10 years or so when the wind starts taking out the posts again.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:03 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
So, the faucet that I have chosen (that I posted the link in my previous post) for some strange reason cannot be shipped to my state. Why? I haven't the foggiest. I asked but so far no answer. Could have something to do with sales tax-that is the only thing I can think of. But, if they won't ship it to me, I can have it shipped to my cleaning lady's house. Yeah, she does live up the road from me but up the road just happens to be in a different state. I am literally 2 miles from the state border.

Cat

Old 04-08-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Final planning stages of a bathroom remodel. This house does not have an ensuite so the master BR bath is also the bath for the entire floor (two story house, the main floor is the upper floor, the lower floor is a completely daylight "basement" with 2 br, storage room, full bath, laundry, large den, large home office for the spouse).

From the master bedroom, you either go through the 10x10 walk-in closet and through the pocket door into the bathroom or from the master br into the hall into through the bathroom door. The size and location of the two doors really limits the layout, but moving the doors creates problems with the toilet location and the entire plumbing stack, so either this is a REALLY high dollar reno where we relocate the plumbing stack or we leave all the plumbing fixtures and doors where they are and work around it.

The shower/tub is a fiberglass drop-in replacement and it is NARROW. Because it is in an alcove in the bathroom (the rest of the wall is a deep, long closet), the only way to get the space to make it deeper is to go into the kitchen pantry behind it. By rebuilding the pantry and moving the entire thing forward about 6", I can get almost 12" more for the shower, which would leave me a 40" wide by 58" long shower.I might actually lose some of the shower width and put in one of those narrow multi-shelf "towel walls" between the shower and the bathroom closet. The closet is huge, about 4' wide, so even if I have to lose space from it, it is fine.

The vanity and tile floor will also be replaced. Although I know how to tile, I am going to pay someone else to do the shower pan and tile in the shower, everything else we will do ourselves. I'd really like the spouse to build a custom vanity (which he is fully capable of), but he doesn't really want to. Perhaps if I show him pics with prices of the $2,000+ vanities I like, I can sway that opinion.

Currently dithering over color combos and floor material. I put in a vinyl plank floor in the walk-in-closet that was meant to be temporary until I replace the flooring in the bedroom and I actually really like it - warm underfoot (especially compared to tile), allegedly waterproof, very scratch resistant, easy to clean.

I may just pull out the old tile, put in a thin second subfloor and try the vinyl plank in there. If I don't like it after a bit, I am not out very much money and I can easily put tile and maybe an electric heating mat in.

Someone (Kathryn?) post a pic of a bath remodel that used a gray Moroccan-style tile I really liked, That would be a nice double-layer horizontal band with maybe a nice narrow tinted glass border. It might go with a marble-look porcelain tile I also like, I'd have to see it side-by-side. The disadvantage of living in a small town, I need to travel to see tile samples.
Yes, it was me - Marrakesh by Cathedral - LOVE it. Please post pictures of your space and your project!!!

Old 04-08-2017, 09:54 PM

Great - went outside and took a close look at our hickory tree in the back yard and it's dying. Gotta get it cut down. That is a boring and sort of sad way to spend money.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
We are having two skimmias planted on Mon, if the weather will allow. We have decided that we are too old to do some planting now. The skimmias will fill empty spots in our long planter in the back, and will bloom early. I have to plant one male and one female, the way you have to do with hollies.

And I have some astilbes to get into the ground as soon as I can. We've had so much rain!

Old 04-09-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We are having two skimmias planted on Mon, if the weather will allow. We have decided that we are too old to do some planting now. The skimmias will fill empty spots in our long planter in the back, and will bloom early. I have to plant one male and one female, the way you have to do with hollies.

And I have some astilbes to get into the ground as soon as I can. We've had so much rain!
I had to look these plants up because I had never heard of them before! Not sure that skimmias are suited for long Texas summers, even in the shade, but I think the astilbes would do fine. I'm looking for something that flowers for a shaded area.

You should post pictures when you're done with your planting!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 04-09-2017 at 07:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating