Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 05:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,921,573 times

Advertisements

We got our two skimmias planted last week, and we went to the nursery and found a nice, knowledgeable person who helped us select a yellow twig dogwood for the last major unfilled spot in our back yard. We hope to have it planted late next week.

I have a small backyard surrounded with planting beds and a long retaining wall, as well as wood fencing. We also have a narrow bed along our our long back porch. You would think that it would not be that hard to whip that tiny area into shape, but it has taken us 5 years to get this far. We kept a few plants at first, but we have gradually gotten rid of most what was there when we moved in. We kept two plants total, when all was said and done. We've planted maybe three things that we had to remove and replace. A few things have worked out well. The hollies we planted look totally happy and those were good early choices. Other things, including a beautiful Japanese maple, died disappointing deaths.

I also made some mistakes. I planted daylilies too close to each other, and last year I dug up, threw out, and replanted the ones I wanted to keep. So, we've been working and revising every year.

Every spring my yard has looked better.

Every spring the outside is what I work on. Then I get to relax a little when hot weather hits. But I really love having beautiful plants surrounding my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 10:51 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,929,955 times
I finally got my sump pump replaced and all is well. No more water in the pit.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:43 AM

49,972 posts, read 63,287,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I finally got my sump pump replaced and all is well. No more water in the pit.
Happiness is...a fully functioning sump pump.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:34 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
Whew - yesterday, and this took me HOURS - I power washed the brick retainer wall at the back of our yard, as well as the landscaping blocks that make up the terraces. It's a good thing I haven't planted anything out there yet - the plants would have been washed away! I was FILTHY - I couldn't even come indoors without washing myself off with the water hose! I had dirt in my hair, in my eyes, all over my face, my arms, my legs, inside my shoes - it was crazy! But I have to admit, that it was also sort of fun and WOW the difference is amazing.

So...my project over the next two weeks is going to be planting some hydrangeas, hostas, foxtail ferns, and something shorter, not sure what yet, in those terraced beds, which get a lot of shade for most of the day and only filtered light for the late afternoon hours.

I know that's not really an interior decorating project but it's what I'm working on now - and since these beds will be very visible from our living room and kitchen, they're an important part of the overall decor. I love the view into our verdant, cool, green backyard. It even LOOKS cool in the summer, though it's not - LOL.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:18 PM

49,972 posts, read 63,287,500 times
I love power washing!

Old 04-16-2017, 05:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Whew - yesterday, and this took me HOURS - I power washed the brick retainer wall at the back of our yard, as well as the landscaping blocks that make up the terraces. It's a good thing I haven't planted anything out there yet - the plants would have been washed away! I was FILTHY - I couldn't even come indoors without washing myself off with the water hose! I had dirt in my hair, in my eyes, all over my face, my arms, my legs, inside my shoes - it was crazy! But I have to admit, that it was also sort of fun and WOW the difference is amazing.

So...my project over the next two weeks is going to be planting some hydrangeas, hostas, foxtail ferns, and something shorter, not sure what yet, in those terraced beds, which get a lot of shade for most of the day and only filtered light for the late afternoon hours.

I know that's not really an interior decorating project but it's what I'm working on now - and since these beds will be very visible from our living room and kitchen, they're an important part of the overall decor. I love the view into our verdant, cool, green backyard. It even LOOKS cool in the summer, though it's not - LOL.
Ajuga is a good sun/part shade ground cover that gives color all year. One of my favorites for all contained border areas. Dead heading will give an excellent second bloom. I used to set my mower on the highest setting and mow most of it. Works great, but the blade really needs to be sharp.

Two pictures combined. This is Bronze Beauty.

Mahoghany

Bronze Beauty

Chocolate Chip

Ajuga can be invasive so you either want it in a contained area or spend some time trimming around the edges. It is easily controlled with an edger or some scissors.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:08 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,303,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I love power washing!
Me too! There's something that's just so satisfying about making something so incredibly filthy come back to clean and bright.

The blow back is amazingly dirty but, damn, it's kinda fun getting dirty like a little kid again. LOL

Old 04-17-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I love power washing!
OH ME TOOOOO....it's fun to just get that crazy wet and dirty!!!!!! Especially when you're getting other stuff so amazingly clean!!!!!!

Old 04-17-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Ajuga is a good sun/part shade ground cover that gives color all year. One of my favorites for all contained border areas. Dead heading will give an excellent second bloom. I used to set my mower on the highest setting and mow most of it. Works great, but the blade really needs to be sharp.

Two pictures combined. This is Bronze Beauty.

Mahoghany

Bronze Beauty

Chocolate Chip

Ajuga can be invasive so you either want it in a contained area or spend some time trimming around the edges. It is easily controlled with an edger or some scissors.
Nice photos and ajuga may be a good ground cover for the lowest terrace in the front. Thank you!

Old 04-17-2017, 08:35 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,929,955 times
I must have started a trend when I powerwashed my fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating