Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 05:43 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I spent today putting summer decor away and putting out my fall stuff. Yes, I'm one of those people - I change out a bunch of accessories and doodads for every season, even my throw pillows in the living room.

I LOVE fall and the colors always go well with my "stuff," so I always like to put things out early. I leave the fall stuff out September through Thanksgiving. In October I decorate the front porch for Halloween but it's a little early still for that!

Here's what I did today and I am beat!

Beautiful.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 04:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
We are about to be done with our tree project. We had an old maple taken down, roots and stump ground out, and today the new maple tree planted, as per HOA requirements. This is happening in the verge between our yard and street. Maples are prescribed, but there is actually not enough room for their roots. So, in 15-20 years, the owners of this house will probably have to do this again. Makes no sense, but there it is.

At any rate, the tree is in the ground. We will have the verge graveled with large round multicolored gravel, except for right around the tree. This is a no muss, no fuss solution to messy verge we have no interest in expending a lot effort caring for.

We had to take the old maple out because it already pushed the curbing out in front of our house. Next would be lifting the sidewalk. Replacing the sidewalk would be more expensive than just the tree, which would have had to go then anyway.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:39 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you!

I had to put my candles in jar things because I almost set my house on fire a year or so ago and it scared the crap out of me!
I once worked at a hotel and one of the catering managers had a candle in her office. She blew it out one day before she went home, or so she thought.

We came in the next morning to soaked carpets and soaked desks from the overhead sprinklers going off at night. Evidently the candle had not really gone out and it started a fire.

We had to get blow dryers to dry all the papers and files on our desks. She felt terrible and no one was allowed to burn candles after that.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:30 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We are about to be done with our tree project. We had an old maple taken down, roots and stump ground out, and today the new maple tree planted, as per HOA requirements. This is happening in the verge between our yard and street. Maples are prescribed, but there is actually not enough room for their roots. So, in 15-20 years, the owners of this house will probably have to do this again. Makes no sense, but there it is.

At any rate, the tree is in the ground. We will have the verge graveled with large round multicolored gravel, except for right around the tree. This is a no muss, no fuss solution to messy verge we have no interest in expending a lot effort caring for.

We had to take the old maple out because it already pushed the curbing out in front of our house. Next would be lifting the sidewalk. Replacing the sidewalk would be more expensive than just the tree, which would have had to go then anyway.
lol, your right, one would really wonder why they wouldnt come up with a different species of tree???

how difficult was it to get the roots out, then to plant another tree in its place?

Old 09-15-2017, 08:41 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
lol, your right, one would really wonder why they wouldnt come up with a different species of tree???

how difficult was it to get the roots out, then to plant another tree in its place?
We hired it all out. We are too old for that kind of work!

We hired a tree service to take the tree down.

We then hired a guy to stump grind the stump and roots.

We then hired sprinkler guys to cap the sprinkler head.

We then hired the guy we use for planting big stuff to get our selected tree from the nursery where it was being kept, and he planted it.
He told us where to go to select our rock, and we did that yesterday. Next week he'll be back to lay landscape cloth and the rock, which he will pick up.

When I say "we", I really mean DH. He planned all of this out, because that's what he does. He knew what he wanted to do every step before anything was done.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:16 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
This weekend I am tackling the project of adding crown moulding to the top of our kitchen cabinets. It shouldn't be that big of a deal, but who knows since I've never done it before. I'll post some pictures on Monday hopefully showing a finished project.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:13 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
One more week until my yard sale. Hubby & I went out into the garage and started bringing out a few more boxes. I was HOPING that this would be the last yard sale and the garage will be cleared but not quite. It looks like I will need at least ONE more sale. So hopefully next year, the garage will be usable space.

Cat

Old 09-18-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
This weekend I am tackling the project of adding crown moulding to the top of our kitchen cabinets. It shouldn't be that big of a deal, but who knows since I've never done it before. I'll post some pictures on Monday hopefully showing a finished project.
The crown molding is up and looks pretty good. I need to do one more coat of paint, but other than that, I'm happy with how this came out. Not too bad for 50 bucks worth of materials.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-pic1.jpg   What are you working on now?-pic2.jpg   What are you working on now?-pic3.jpg   What are you working on now?-pic4.jpg   What are you working on now?-pic5.jpg  

What are you working on now?-pic6.jpg  

Old 09-18-2017, 09:40 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
The crown molding is up and looks pretty good. I need to do one more coat of paint, but other than that, I'm happy with how this came out. Not too bad for 50 bucks worth of materials.
That makes a big difference, and I love it. Now you need some lighting up there. I call it ambiance lighting. It's really pretty. Just what you want, I know , another project.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
That makes a big difference, and I love it. Now you need some lighting up there. I call it ambiance lighting. It's really pretty. Just what you want, I know , another project.
I've thought about that as well. I do plan on getting rid of the fluorescent light fixture and going with canned lighting. I'll probably add some color changing LEDs back there just to see how it looks. I can then change the color to reflect the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating