Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 07:42 AM

307 posts, read 255,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Whew, oh my gosh, I am worn out and I am amazed that I didn't fall off the ladder, but I decided to do something with a little space that I've wanted to do ever since I saw something similar in a movie 25 years ago! I got the package of stars from Amazon - and I stuck one on the wall for a month first to see if it would peel off my textured wall, which it didn't. I finally broke down and bought the paint and tape and I swear, taping and preparing always takes longer than actually painting! But I knocked it out and I am absolutely in love with the results.

I am posting several photos - a listing photo from when we bought the house (UGH!), showing the space, then what I did with it prior to painting it - I wasn't unhappy with that though you should have seen the woman's face in the fabric store when I told her I wanted ten yards of orange fabric! - and then the prep work and finally the finished product. I couldn't be happier!

That looks really cool! good job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 10:56 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,278,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Whew, oh my gosh, I am worn out and I am amazed that I didn't fall off the ladder, but I decided to do something with a little space that I've wanted to do ever since I saw something similar in a movie 25 years ago! I got the package of stars from Amazon - and I stuck one on the wall for a month first to see if it would peel off my textured wall, which it didn't. I finally broke down and bought the paint and tape and I swear, taping and preparing always takes longer than actually painting! But I knocked it out and I am absolutely in love with the results.

I am posting several photos - a listing photo from when we bought the house (UGH!), showing the space, then what I did with it prior to painting it - I wasn't unhappy with that though you should have seen the woman's face in the fabric store when I told her I wanted ten yards of orange fabric! - and then the prep work and finally the finished product. I couldn't be happier!
Once again, you have turn something that was beautiful to begin with into something that is gorgeous.

Cat

Old 04-03-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well...maybe he should clean the oven.
After spending weeks on this oven and I'm still not even half way done with it, I told Hubby that I am now willing to pick this fight with him about getting a new stove. The only thing he said is, "Ok." So, my next project is shopping for a new stove-WHOO HOO!!!! I just wish that I choose to pick this battle about a week ago.

Cat

Old 04-04-2019, 12:38 AM

372 posts, read 220,011 times
By 'working on' I actually mean 'am having done'

My house is pretty boring from outside; rectangular, with an A frame roof.

Inside split level, with raked ceilings down the three steps. House was built 1974. I bought in 1991. Did nothing for years, and a whole lot of stuff came to a head at the same time .

So, over the last 18 months : New bathroom, new kitchen and laundry. Had the downstairs painted. The colour scheme was what we cal "Gallah'' after the parrot; grey and pink. I did it myself over 10 years ago. I thought it looked great, for years. Now the entire area is painted a creamy white, with flat white ceilings. The whiteness is broken by a few large prints. Had to pay painters because I'm not allowed on ladders any more.

Then the geriatric air conditioner died. I replaced it with a 3HP split system. The solar panels pretty much pay for running that.

Last week it was the water heater. Had a new one put in

Current projects. There are two huge peppercorn trees in the back yard. They need to be pruned.

Finally, for this year, the decking needs to be completely over hauled.

-and that will do it for 2019 (except for a new car in June; want a smaller car; probably replace the Camry with a Mazda 2).

Am fully aware I have probably over capitalised. Don't care; I wanted a nice house ,now.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
By 'working on' I actually mean 'am having done'

My house is pretty boring from outside; rectangular, with an A frame roof.

Inside split level, with raked ceilings down the three steps. House was built 1974. I bought in 1991. Did nothing for years, and a whole lot of stuff came to a head at the same time .

So, over the last 18 months : New bathroom, new kitchen and laundry. Had the downstairs painted. The colour scheme was what we cal "Gallah'' after the parrot; grey and pink. I did it myself over 10 years ago. I thought it looked great, for years. Now the entire area is painted a creamy white, with flat white ceilings. The whiteness is broken by a few large prints. Had to pay painters because I'm not allowed on ladders any more.

Then the geriatric air conditioner died. I replaced it with a 3HP split system. The solar panels pretty much pay for running that.

Last week it was the water heater. Had a new one put in

Current projects. There are two huge peppercorn trees in the back yard. They need to be pruned.

Finally, for this year, the decking needs to be completely over hauled.

-and that will do it for 2019 (except for a new car in June; want a smaller car; probably replace the Camry with a Mazda 2).

Am fully aware I have probably over capitalised. Don't care; I wanted a nice house ,now.
You go, girl! Or guy - can't tell, but anyway, it all sounds great!

Old 04-04-2019, 08:15 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,229,962 times
Drywall and baseboard repairs, then painting (storm/water damage).

Flooring material has been ordered - waiting for contractor to set start date. So we're starting to box our shi....stuff up

Old 04-04-2019, 09:21 AM

4,227 posts, read 6,903,388 times
3 Main projects at the moment:

1) Totally remodeling the bathroom. Studs up. Adding an exhaust fan (currently only has an operable window). new shower and tub. new vanity. moving receptacles, moving light switches, changing a door swing, etc. etc.

2) The entire front entry of the home is a storefront type glass. We are adding some frosting for a design detail that also adds some privacy. The house number is going to be within the negative space of the frosting.

3) I am changing the the front porch post from a wrought iron design that does not match the current style of the home. I am working with some friends on a MCM inspired tripod type design of welded metal.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:56 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
A small thing. I’m putting up a curtain rod over the huge kitchen window, which has a woven wood shade, to soften the shade a bit.

I just realized that my old living room drapes would look ok in the kitchen, at least until I find something better.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:40 AM

I figured it was time to clean out under the kitchen sink. I can't believe all the unused cleaners and crap..er..stuff I have under there. I have TWO unopened bottles or ammonia. I NEVER use the stuff. Where did it come from? There were a few half used bottles of Windex. Several carpet cleaners, several different all-purpose cleaners. I put everything that I am sure I will NOT use into a box. I will give my cleaning lady first dibs and then I will put the box outside with a sign that says "FREE" on it and watch it disappear.

Cat

Old 04-18-2019, 07:07 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,120 times
I've finished my unpacking and:

* Guest room is decorated
* Office is decorated
* Master bedroom is decorated
* Living room is decorated, but I have a new sofa on order
* I have a custom farm table being made for my kitchen area
Outside:
* The fence is being installed and should be finished tomorrow
* The deck is going to be built in a few weeks, as well as a door from the office/den out to the deck installed (replacing a window with the door)
* Landscaper has been contacted and I have his design of plantings and lighting, so that will come soon (not sure when, I put a deposit down)

After all of this I will be done, except for maybe painting a room or two. Don't know what I'll do with myself once the projects are finished. I might just have to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating