Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 05:24 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What I'm working on now, is a burst water heater in the attic, several new water features in my kitchen ceiling, several new friendships with plumbers, insurance adjusters, and water remediators, and, as an extra added bonus, a laid up husband who needs to micromanage everything from the recliner. Beam me up.
I'm not having a fun time either.

The remodel is looking like garbage. No one can cut tiles apparently. The disgusting, fat slob was pulled off the job and now some other guys are here. They are continuing the sloppy work. Once I really started looking at it, it made me infuriated. They left the flushometer they replaced dripping (which they knew because they left a bowl under it) but hey there was a second drip that seems to be actually leaking and I had to put as big of a thing as I could to catch the water and think about that all night. (And emptied it a few times since last night.)

This is taking far too long. I'm not happy. And I'm not sure what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 07:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Ha ha. We could probably be on a plane to a beach resort within a few hours, with blue water, white sand and semi naked waiters serving pina coladas.
Now that's a thought...

Seriously though - when they start painting in our house, I think my husband and I are going to ape off to New Orleans for a few days. Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Old 10-09-2014, 08:01 AM

I posted these pics in the other thread in the main house section, about my kitchen remodel, but I thought I'd share them here as well.

My life for the next two to three weeks:

My "kitchen" in my dining room. Yeah, I mean my entire kitchen is currently in my dining room!

Here's my driveway - bet the neighbors are really loving that toilet sitting in the front yard!

Teeny little path through the garage...

Yes, that's my refrigerator you see through the window - out on my back patio:

The laundry room and powder room are both gutted. The only working sink downstairs is in the master bath. Think about that.

Paper trails throughout the house!

What I can't convey is the noise - construction machinery, random people in and out all day...and MEXICAN RADIO!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:16 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I'm not having a fun time either.

The remodel is looking like garbage. No one can cut tiles apparently. The disgusting, fat slob was pulled off the job and now some other guys are here. They are continuing the sloppy work. Once I really started looking at it, it made me infuriated. They left the flushometer they replaced dripping (which they knew because they left a bowl under it) but hey there was a second drip that seems to be actually leaking and I had to put as big of a thing as I could to catch the water and think about that all night. (And emptied it a few times since last night.)

This is taking far too long. I'm not happy. And I'm not sure what to do.
If these guys can't cut and lay subway tile, something is seriously wrong. It sounds like you are going to have to get tough with the gc. He's going to have to get someone in there who can do the job correctly....or not get paid until it's fixed. Good luck, crossing my fingers that you have not given him the full amt for the entire project.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
If these guys can't cut and lay subway tile, something is seriously wrong. It sounds like you are going to have to get tough with the gc. He's going to have to get someone in there who can do the job correctly....or not get paid until it's fixed. Good luck, crossing my fingers that you have not given him the full amt for the entire project.

So things are looking better now since the last post. I had a good talk (I am good at sounding angry and annoyed) with the GC and went through every single little thing I didn't like.

They fixed the stuff that was wrong (some by the previous guy) and that involved even taking off the decorative strip and them buying me new tiles to fix what the previous guy did. They started grouting and it's finally starting to come together a bit more. Because I live in an old building, everything is slanted/crooked/whatever so it makes everything a little more difficult. (Especially because I wanted to put tiles to the ceiling in the shower.)

He only received the initial payment from me and nothing more. I don't think he's pushed for anything else because of the delay and useless first guy. I do think he genuinely feels bad.

So today, my husband is returning the floor that we initially got because that batch of herringbone, IMO, was TOO white. I wanted something more gray because I hate cleaning and I don't even like white to begin with but now today they will put the floor down so it's a mad rush. I think they will get the floor down and the entire bathroom grouted by today. Not sure if it's possible to do much more with the floor needing to set but we'll see.

So, getting better.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:01 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
That's good, City. Sounds like you're back on track.
Our issues are buffing out, too. The new water heater went in yesterday, the ServePro dehumidifiers are cranking, the husband's infected incision is getting operated on today, and the worst is probably over....until the next thing.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
So things are looking better now since the last post. I had a good talk (I am good at sounding angry and annoyed) with the GC and went through every single little thing I didn't like.

They fixed the stuff that was wrong (some by the previous guy) and that involved even taking off the decorative strip and them buying me new tiles to fix what the previous guy did. They started grouting and it's finally starting to come together a bit more. Because I live in an old building, everything is slanted/crooked/whatever so it makes everything a little more difficult. (Especially because I wanted to put tiles to the ceiling in the shower.)

He only received the initial payment from me and nothing more. I don't think he's pushed for anything else because of the delay and useless first guy. I do think he genuinely feels bad.

So today, my husband is returning the floor that we initially got because that batch of herringbone, IMO, was TOO white. I wanted something more gray because I hate cleaning and I don't even like white to begin with but now today they will put the floor down so it's a mad rush. I think they will get the floor down and the entire bathroom grouted by today. Not sure if it's possible to do much more with the floor needing to set but we'll see.

So, getting better.
I feel your pain - and that was a good call on the white flooring by the way.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
That's good, City. Sounds like you're back on track.
Our issues are buffing out, too. The new water heater went in yesterday, the ServePro dehumidifiers are cranking, the husband's infected incision is getting operated on today, and the worst is probably over....until the next thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I feel your pain - and that was a good call on the white flooring by the way.

Thanks guys. Glad to hear your stuff is getting together gentle.

The floor was put down but we have no bathroom AT ALL for two days to let the cement dry. SO glad we changed the floor. It's so much more gray and it's just right. I told my husband to get a shade of grout a shade darker than the one we have with the rest of the tiles and he ended up coming back with almost white b/c he asked the guy in the store what he would recommend. I want something to hide dirt so he ended up going back and getting the slightly darker grout for Monday. Glad he did b/c when I put a sample of the grout (the one on the walls) next to the floor tile I thought it was way too light.

Living without a bathroom (and no shower for three weeks) when you only have one kind of stinks. The dust is HORRIBLE again.

If this is done by Tuesday, I will take a deep breath and I will be able to sleep during the day again. Yay!

Today's project:
-Bring some stuff back to HD
-Get a small quart of paint for the little table I bought for the bathroom that matches the vanity
-Try to sleep

Old 10-12-2014, 08:45 AM

Ugh - no bathroom, even for just a couple of days, stinks. Get a potty chair - LOL. Life gets real, really fast, when you have no bathroom! At least you do have a sink in the kitchen though so you can wash up.

I have only one sink downstairs - well, two but they're both back in the master bath area. Both my kitchen sink and powder room sink are removed right now, and will be for about another week at least. So needless to say we're eating out a lot and when we eat at home, it's on disposable stuff. But at least we do have a working bathroom, even if it is at the back of the house. Every time I need water for anything, or to wash out a coffee cup or whatever, I have to trek to the back of the house.

First world problems, right? At least I'm not having to go outside and draw water from a well!

Old 10-14-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ugh - no bathroom, even for just a couple of days, stinks. Get a potty chair - LOL. Life gets real, really fast, when you have no bathroom! At least you do have a sink in the kitchen though so you can wash up.

I have only one sink downstairs - well, two but they're both back in the master bath area. Both my kitchen sink and powder room sink are removed right now, and will be for about another week at least. So needless to say we're eating out a lot and when we eat at home, it's on disposable stuff. But at least we do have a working bathroom, even if it is at the back of the house. Every time I need water for anything, or to wash out a coffee cup or whatever, I have to trek to the back of the house.

First world problems, right? At least I'm not having to go outside and draw water from a well!

If it makes you feel any better, we haven't had any shower for a long time and no toilet for about a week. Nada.

Honestly, if my building didn't have a toilet to use in the basement, I don't know what we'd do. My husband has been showering at the gym and I've been going to my parents to shower pretty much everyday. I think that will be over by this week though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating