Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 01:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I looked a long time online at the down carried by Pottery Barn, but I found the duvets which would fit the down comforters to be too expensive. I also did not trust the descriptions given online. I looked at BB & B but I knew I'd be locked into a cover from them for the duvet, and I couldn't find one I liked. I think the Bean duvet is a better quality than those. But I am locked into buying duvet covers from them. At least I think the covers will be good quality, but my first choice in covers turned out to be the wrong shade of blue! I bought a neutral cover, which is disappointing, but on the other hand, washes beautifully.

I think you are right to take your time with this. You will be using the duvet for years, and you will be buying covers for it for all that time. One thing to note--making a bed with a duvet is a piece of cake!
Why do you think you're locked into buying your duvet covers from the same store you buy your duvet?

I have more than 10 down duvets, two for each bed in the house, that are excellent quality and still in fabulous condition after over owning them for 10 to 15 years. I buy my duvet covers from all sorts of places and interchange them between all of my duvets too. There are measurements to ensure a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 02:49 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Reports from the field:

I went again to the stores and frankly, I am a tad frustrated. First, I realized the touch-and-see choices are minimal, in general. I feel like merchants are secretly conspiring to train the population to buy blind, without trying anything anymore.

The department stores and big box types either have no trace of down, mountains of polyester and other synthetics, or very little choice displayed, if at all.

TJ: no trace of down in the store.
Marshalls: same
Target: feels surprisingly fine for a kids room, but can't quite trust it based on reviews. I like it that it has some heft, probably from the feathers.
Nordstroms: the "choices" were limited to a pitiful "nordstroms at home" display at 189$ for a king, from which feathers were already flying out like crazy. I closed the package and ran away.
Macys: the only down comforters present were from Charter Club. They felt fine. Not the most luxurious thing ever, but fine. The line has 4 levels: light, medium, extra and ultra. I liked the feel of extra most, maybe medium but I am afraid medium felt a tad empty. I learned I don't like barely filled comforters even if they are made like this on purpose to achieve the light weight/ less heat version. If I wanted so little heft inside I would just cover myself with an empty duvet cover, after all.
I am just afraid that if I go for heft only to achieve the full feeling, I will end up too hot here in the the south.

Macys was also supposed to carry Hotel Collection but there was no trace of it on display.

IKEA: I saw one on display that felt quite ok, close to charter club.

Tuesday morning: they had a nice one there similar to charter club.

Finally, I wasn't able to make it to Sears and Costco (opposite direction) but maybe I'll run there after the Brazil-Netherlands game is over.

All in all, I am yet to touch one comforter that is considered high-end / very high quality so I can compare with what I was able to see in depart store / big box stores. This way I would know what I am missing, whether the extra money really is worth it, have more real choices, etc.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any small, speciality, mom-and-pop type shops like "three dog down" in the area. Most people seem to be stuck with "big box" if they want to see and touch.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:52 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Easy to buy in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I went again to the stores and frankly, I am a tad frustrated.
Scandia Home
store locator

Old 07-12-2014, 04:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I love down/feather. The most warmth you can get for the money. Good down comforters are not supposed to be overfull. I have a few comforters I've had for more than 20 years and they are still in good shape. And guess what? I wash mine every year in the washing machine. One cycle to wash and another full cycle to rinse. Then I hang them to dry outside. Shaking will fluff them back out, or a couple minutes in the dryer works too. If you want to keep your comforter fresh smelling, hang it outside for a day every now and then.

Using duvet covers help keep the comforters clean between washings. You don't have to buy those expensive ones either. 2 flat sheets sewn together make a great duvet cover.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Scandia Home
store locator
Sure, why not ? .
No shocker here, right in the middle of 1 percenter land.
I know the area well ... so I will go to see and touch - with whatever percentage I can carry - just so I can learn.

Thank you, Dave!

Old 07-12-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I love down/feather. The most warmth you can get for the money. Good down comforters are not supposed to be overfull. I have a few comforters I've had for more than 20 years and they are still in good shape. And guess what? I wash mine every year in the washing machine. One cycle to wash and another full cycle to rinse. Then I hang them to dry outside. Shaking will fluff them back out, or a couple minutes in the dryer works too. If you want to keep your comforter fresh smelling, hang it outside for a day every now and then.

Using duvet covers help keep the comforters clean between washings. You don't have to buy those expensive ones either. 2 flat sheets sewn together make a great duvet cover.
I have a feeling I would like a feather down combo as long as the feathers were good, wouldn't poke out, wouldn't make noise, and the overall comforter was high quality. Unfortunately, it seems that anything with feathers is relegated to lower overall quality.

If you have any specific recs I would appreciate it.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
All in all, I am yet to touch one comforter that is considered high-end / very high quality so I can compare with what I was able to see in depart store / big box stores. This way I would know what I am missing, whether the extra money really is worth it, have more real choices, etc.
If there isn't much at Sears when you get there, you might have to wait until Fall for these stores to have more of a selection for you to feel up. btw, I don't think the hotels are using high end and you enjoyed whichever hotel duvet you experienced.

Quote:
I am just afraid that if I go for heft only to achieve the full feeling, I will end up too hot here in the the south.
That's my concern too. I mentioned previously that you can buy a lighter weight down and put a quit over it to make it heavier without it being too warm. Something to think about.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
If you have any specific recs I would appreciate it.
I'll see if there are any tags on my winter weight ones I have stored away. Doubtful, but I'll check sometime over the weekend and let you know.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'll see if there are any tags on my winter weight ones I have stored away. Doubtful, but I'll check sometime over the weekend and let you know.
Thank you so much, hopes - you are the best!

Old 07-12-2014, 10:26 PM

You guys are probably tired of my down comforter travails by now, but a new question popped up:

Should I get a queen size instead of king if the duvet cover I am using on our current comforter and which I intend to use on the down comforter too measures only 102 x 88 ? This is smaller than what current king size comforters measure.

The interesting part is that our current comforter which was sold as king 20 years ago (synthetic fill with cotton cover) itself measures only 87x100 and it fits fine in the duvet cover. Apparently kings of yesteryear were smaller than today's kings.

Comforter king sizes I have seen have 110 in length.

We have been sleeping just fine with an old king (87x100 ) and our bed is officially a king but dates a while back.
I am not sure if the new king mattresses are bigger too as we intend to change the mattress soon.
It just sounds to me like we could sleep just fine in a modern queen and it would also fit fine in my current duvet cover from Peacock Alley, which I love a lot.

Any advice or wisdom on the size to buy, given the parameters ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating