Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 05:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times

Advertisements

Mattresses are much thicker now so comforters need to be larger to hang down the sides.

I'm using this duvet's measurements as an example. The queen is 98 x 90. The king is 98 x 108. Your comforter cover of 102 x 88 won't fit either of them because that extra 4" will be a PITA for even the queen size one. It just won't work. Just know that you will need to replace your comforter cover if you buy a duvet.

Another option is to just use your duvet as a blanket instead of a top cover for the bed. You'll notice that some hotels use two flat sheets above and below the duvet instead of a duvet cover because it's faster to change the bedding that way. But you'd still need a bedspread, quilt or something for a decorative top cover if you use your duvet as blanket that way.

So, plan buying a new duvet or something for the top of the bed in your budget. In the meantime, you could use your comforter cover for the queen size duvet, but you should only buy a queen size duvet if you plan to buy a queen size mattress when it's time to buy a new mattress. If you buy a new king size mattress, you'll need all new bedding anyway since the mattresses are thicker these days. Seriously make a decision about your future mattress size before you commit to a duvet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 08:12 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,437,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Mattresses are much thicker now so comforters need to be larger to hang down the sides.

I'm using this duvet's measurements as an example. The queen is 98 x 90. The king is 98 x 108. Your comforter cover of 102 x 88 won't fit either of them because that extra 4" will be a PITA for even the queen size one. It just won't work. Just know that you will need to replace your comforter cover if you buy a duvet.

Another option is to just use your duvet as a blanket instead of a top cover for the bed. You'll notice that some hotels use two flat sheets above and below the duvet instead of a duvet cover because it's faster to change the bedding that way. But you'd still need a bedspread, quilt or something for a decorative top cover if you use your duvet as blanket that way.

So, plan buying a new duvet or something for the top of the bed in your budget. In the meantime, you could use your comforter cover for the queen size duvet, but you should only buy a queen size duvet if you plan to buy a queen size mattress when it's time to buy a new mattress. If you buy a new king size mattress, you'll need all new bedding anyway since the mattresses are thicker these days. Seriously make a decision about your future mattress size before you commit to a duvet.
We know for sure the mattress will be king. I will just feel so bad to see my peacock alley beautiful duvet cover without any serious use! .
Well...I guess I can use it in kids' rooms though they have fulls...plus I feel like a fool using a white and crisp PA duvet cover on their messy and still unappreciative behinds.

Never mind I am not even sure I will be able to find such a high quality duvet cover at that price again.

It is weird that PA used such small dimensions and called them "king". But this was a discontinued one from Tuesday Morning....maybe dating from the days kings were smaller?

Going back to the comforter itself...went to Sears today and decided to stop the "see and touch" search right now because it's useless. There was no trace of down in Sears either, just like in all other big store I went to...until it dawned on me that " duh, it's summer" and people don't exactly get sudden inspiration in the middle of this heat, especially in the south, to go grab a down comforter off the shelf.

There's hardly anything to try right now; so I guess I will have to wait until the cool season to continue the research. I was hoping to already have our comforter when cooler weather arrives but it doesn't look like this is an option.

In the meantime, we will have to start dealing with our 24 years old mattress.

Thank you again, everyone, especially Hopes, I learned a lot for when we will have to make the decision.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
OP, you could buy a cheap comforter and put it inside your PA duvet cover and fold it at the end of your bed - that way you still get to use it (sort of!).

Do you have Dillards where you live? I have had very good luck with bedding from Dillards. Also, I have bought high end pillows from Penneys of all places and been VERY pleased with them. Maybe you could check them out.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a down comforter without seeing it and touching it first.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Personally, I wouldn't buy a down comforter without seeing it and touching it first.
That's how I feel too, but considering the dearth of "see and touch" choices, at least at this point in time, I wonder whether that much more will be available in the winter season in stores.

If anyone could spare 2 cents on this offer from Garnet Hill, I would appreciate it.

Eileen Fisher Organic Cotton & Down Comforter - Garnet Hill

In theory, it sounds like a high quality comforter, though I am bit non-plused about the 250 TC of the cover. Could have been 300.

They say it was 700+ $ initially, and with a annual sale event of 20% ...that makes it 436$ for a King now.
Granted, I never really trust these mark downs, so I am not really sure this truly is a comforter with a real value of 700+$ that I could now get at 400+. It's probably worth 400 in the first place and it might have been seriously marked up at 700.

My upper spending limit would be about 400 and a bit, so maybe this is a good opportunity?

I can send it back for a 6 dollar flat fee if it turns out sucky.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thank you so much!

Old 07-14-2014, 11:02 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,741,810 times
Have you considered having 2 different down comforters? (summer weight and winter weight).

I can't imagine that you would want to sleep under the same comforter in the middle of winter as during the middle of summer.

I've seen some before at Ikea that are meant for year round use - it's 2 comforters that snap together to make one big thick one for winter. Then you unsnap them into a very thin summer weight one and a medium thick early spring or autumn one.

I think the other thing that might help us help you if you could tell us exactly what a high quality down comforter means to you - if you could order your ideal one like you order a pizza, what would it look like?

Old 07-14-2014, 11:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
That's how I feel too, but considering the dearth of "see and touch" choices, at least at this point in time, I wonder whether that much more will be available in the winter season in stores.

If anyone could spare 2 cents on this offer from Garnet Hill, I would appreciate it.

Eileen Fisher Organic Cotton & Down Comforter - Garnet Hill

In theory, it sounds like a high quality comforter, though I am bit non-plused about the 250 TC of the cover. Could have been 300.

They say it was 700+ $ initially, and with a annual sale event of 20% ...that makes it 436$ for a King now.
Granted, I never really trust these mark downs, so I am not really sure this truly is a comforter with a real value of 700+$ that I could now get at 400+. It's probably worth 400 in the first place and it might have been seriously marked up at 700.

My upper spending limit would be about 400 and a bit, so maybe this is a good opportunity?

I can send it back for a 6 dollar flat fee if it turns out sucky.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thank you so much!
This Garrett Hill one isn't better quality than the one at Sears. If you're going to buy one again online, you should buy the Egyptian cotton 1000 thread count white goose down 700 fill count one from Sears. You won't have to mail it back to return it. You can take it to Sears to return it.

Here's the link: Sears.com -- Blue Ridge Home Fashion, Inc. 1000 Thread Count European White Goose Down Comforter - Size: King

Old 07-14-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This Garrett Hill one isn't better quality than the one at Sears. If you're going to buy one again online, you should buy the Egyptian cotton 1000 thread count white goose down 700 fill count one from Sears. You won't have to mail it back to return it. You can take it to Sears to return it.

Here's the link: Sears.com -- Blue Ridge Home Fashion, Inc. 1000 Thread Count European White Goose Down Comforter - Size: King

Hopes,

Considering the relatively low risk and being able top return it in person, I think I will give this one a try.

The only tiny problem is that it is 108 in width and it would surely not fit into my PA duvet cover.
The Eileen Fisher at 104 might have fit my 102 width duvet cover. This way I would have avoided buying another DC which would be another 150$ or so at the PA quality. :-(

PS: Also, I found a review on the Blue Ridge that is kind of off-putting ("Not all Down"):

http://www.amazon.com/Comforter-Thre...owViewpoints=1

Last edited by syracusa; 07-14-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Have you considered having 2 different down comforters? (summer weight and winter weight).

I can't imagine that you would want to sleep under the same comforter in the middle of winter as during the middle of summer.

I've seen some before at Ikea that are meant for year round use - it's 2 comforters that snap together to make one big thick one for winter. Then you unsnap them into a very thin summer weight one and a medium thick early spring or autumn one.

I think the other thing that might help us help you if you could tell us exactly what a high quality down comforter means to you - if you could order your ideal one like you order a pizza, what would it look like?
Wry,

For us, there's no such thing as an "year round" down comforter here in the south.
I suppose even the light weight ones would be too hot during summer months, after all that thing is down! I am pretty sure I wouldn't want to sleep covered in down in the summer.

Right now we simply use a flat cotton sheet topped with a light/thin cotton blanket - and that's nice and cooling.

We want the comforter only for coolish-to-cold months. In the south, at night that can be from about September-October through May.

We only want one down comforter and a good one - because I hate having lots of stuff of any kind, least of all bulky covers. I am one of those who see the need for more storage space as the Universe's way of telling me that I need to have less stuff. :-)

That being said, my idea of a quality down comforter:

1. No down comes out ever. I know this is a real problem as I have seen it in the "Nordstrom at Home" one. Just horrible...and when you think this store has "high end" aspirations.

2. Cotton cover doesn't feel plasticky and noisy when you turn in bed.

3. Cotton cover TC over 300, feels soft, not rough - even if I will always have a duvet cover on it.

4. This is subjective, overall it should feel luxurious and cloudy; but "cloudy" should not mean empty or too light to the point where you feel like there's no actual filling, only an empty duvet cover.
Some extra weight wouldn't bother me, so I don't think I would need a 700 filling power. But if it's 700 and the comforter still has heft, even better - though then it may be very hot.
It is my understanding that the higher thw FP, the less down needs to be used. I'd rather have more down/filling with lower FP than 2-3 scattered puffs with huge FP.

5. It has good stitching so the down won't move around or bulk in one place.

6. Doesn't smell.

I think that's about it.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:56 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
After sleeping under one of these in Vermont, I bought one for our guest room:

Comforters | Eddie Bauer

The reviews were good, and I've slept under it on those nights when my DH was snoring, and was quite happy with it. On sale now!

Old 07-19-2014, 07:07 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I love Garnet Hill style, and I love Eileen Fisher clothing, but seriously, they are a rip off unless you buy them on sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating