Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:07 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times

Advertisements

For years we have been sleeping with synthetic comforters and now we want to make the switch to all natural fiber, ideally for the whole family.

People can get used to synthetics especially if they haven't experienced anything different in a very long time, maybe since sleeping on grandmother's amazing bedding, from a different century. :-)
But when you suddenly experience nice, high quality, natural bedding (perhaps in a nice hotel, etc) you're abruptly reminded of what you have been missing all along. :-)
Then you look at what such items go for nowadays and you realize you need a little mortgage to put together an all-natural, high quality bed like grandmother used to have.

I am one of those people who don't mind at all buying a used/previously owned product, as long as that product is very high quality.

If anyone could direct me towards the right place where I might be able to find a high quality down or wool comforter at below retail prices (including used), I would greatly appreciate it.

For example right now I am looking at this product on e-bay, but frankly I don't know what the quality is.

Bloomingdale's My Warmer Twin European White Down Comforter Fast Shipping | eBay

I have noticed that many reasonably priced comforters are poorly filled to the point where in many places you only get the cotton cover, with pretty much no down filling to pinch between the cover sheets.
It seems that to ensure heftiness and quality you need to shell out 300+. And even then some people seem to complain.

Any chance I could get away with something good on the cheap? :-).
What is the best strategy to achieve this? I wish I had time to follow and go to estate sales regularly, but I don't.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 01:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I wouldn't buy down or wool bedding used because you can't wash either of them in hot water. The down will be destroyed and the wool will shrink. You also don't know if the previous owner cared for the down properly.

My down comforters are great quality and all well under $300. I bought most of mine at Sears and Kohl's and one or two from Marshalls and TJ Max too. It's not super expensive if you buy for one bed at a time and spread out your purchases.

I have different thicknesses for each bed. I have lightweight thin down for summer and heavyweight thick down for winter. The lightweight down comforters for warmer weather might be the ones you think are made cheaply with limited down. No, they're made like that on purpose for summer use or warmer climates.

My biggest problem is storing the ones that aren't being used. They take up so much space because they're super fluffy.

While you didn't ask about wool blankets, I bought my lambswool blankets from the Vermont Country Store. I also bought a wool comforter cover that absolute heaven from there. The Vermont Country Store isn't bargain prices though.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I wouldn't buy down or wool bedding used because you can't wash either of them in hot water. The down will be destroyed and the wool will shrink. You also don't know if the previous owner cared for the down properly.

My down comforters are great quality and all well under $300. I bought most of mine at Sears and Kohl's and one or two from Marshalls and TJ Max too. It's not super expensive if you buy for one bed at a time and spread out your purchases.

I have different thicknesses for each bed. I have lightweight thin down for summer and heavyweight thick down for winter. The lightweight down comforters for warmer weather might be the ones you think are made cheaply with limited down. No, they're made like that on purpose for summer use or warmer climates.

My biggest problem is storing the ones that aren't being used. They take up so much space because they're super fluffy.

While you didn't ask about wool blankets, I bought my lambswool blankets from the Vermont Country Store. I also bought a wool comforter cover that absolute heaven from there. The Vermont Country Store isn't bargain prices though.

Thank you so much, Hopes! Long time, no see. :-)

I will go to TJ Max, Marshalls and Kolhs (have them all around) but based on what I remember, they sell mainly synthetic filled comforters. I don't remember seeing much in the way of down. Maybe I didn't look carefully enough.

I wonder whether they would have anything now in the middle of the summer...?

Old 07-08-2014, 02:11 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
I've definitely seen down comforters and quilts at TJ Maxx and Homegoods. No idea if they'd have any in the middle of the summer.

I can't use down, unfortunately - I get way too warm, and my BF has allergies. I usually sleep with just a sheet, and occasionally add a blanket in winter. I have been wanting a cashmere blanket for my bed but haven't justified the cost just yet. I did recently buy 2 pair of Sheex, which are sheets made from performance-wear fabric that whisk moisture and help you thermoregulate. It's amazing, what a difference they've made in my quality of sleep!!!

Old 07-08-2014, 02:18 PM

Stores carry them year round. As you know, Marshalls and T J Max are hit or miss when they carry something. Check out Sears because they have the largest selection. Level 1 is the lightest weight and Level 4 is the warmest. You want goose down instead of duck down. Almost all have cotton exterior, and make sure you buy the highest thread count you can afford because that's what keeps the down inside.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:24 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Get something good

Luxury Goose Down Comforters, Down Free Comforters | Scandia

We have various weights for over 20 years.
We currently have: Winter, Summer and Spring/Fall weights.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Luxury Goose Down Comforters, Down Free Comforters | Scandia

We have various weights for over 20 years.
We currently have: Winter, Summer and Spring/Fall weights.
Those look gorgeous. I am pretty sure the quality is superb. Now I wish I could just afford them.
Maybe the strategy would be to wait and save for one without trying to chase a bargain ? ...

Based on what I read, the consensus seems to be that in the world of comforters, you kind of get what you pay for.

Ps: The St. Petersburg comforter just made me dizzy.

Last edited by syracusa; 07-08-2014 at 09:40 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Just wanted to add that I initially had the same considerations.
But my sister, who is a proverbial poor grad student, once found a used down comforter from another student who was leaving. Nobody wanted it because it had some spots on it or maybe for the reasons you mentioned. She got it for 10 dollars and then washed the living lights out of it in very hot water, then dried it well.
It is perfectly functional, no problem with the insert and it has served her very well for the past 4-5 years. No down or feathers flying out. It says "at least 75% down" on it. The rest seem to be feather, but it really is in good condition and gets the job done.

I was hoping I could find such a bargain too, at least for the kids' beds, though I realize she probably got really lucky to pay only 10 dollars for a down comforter, be it used.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Twenty five years ago I "sprung for" a very high quality, light weight (summer weight) down comforter. Back then, it was $125. I guess that would be today's equivalent of about $250 (Queen size) Still got it and still love it.

However, we have it on the guest room bed - I still get to enjoy it when my husband snores, but he is more hot natured than I am and it was too hot for him (we live in Texas). So...for our master bedroom, we ended up getting a 100 percent cotton quilt - a hand quilted one, very high quality, in a solid color with lots and lots of stitching. IT IS FANTASTIC and lighter weight than a down comforter. That may be another option for you. These quilts are generally about 1/2 the cost of a high quality down comforter. Not cheap, but they won't break the bank.

Don't scrimp on this item.

Oh, another hint - be sure that if you get the down filled comforter, you get one that has big squares stitched into it rather than one of those European styled comforters that don't have the cross stitching. The cross stitching is really helpful when it comes to even distribution of the down filling.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Those look gorgeous. I am pretty sure the quality is superb. Now I wish I could just afford them.

Maybe the strategy would be to wait and save for one without trying to chase a bargain ? ...

Based on what I read, the consensus seems to be that in the world of comforters, you kind of get what you pay for.
Wait and save but keep looking while you save because a great one might go on sale. Whenever I bought a comforter, I didn't intend to buy a comforter. I bought them when I happened to see a very good quality one for a very good deal.

I don't recommend buying one online going by reviews. Go to a store where you can feel them, scrunch them, hold them, and toss them around to get an idea of the weight. Even the winter weight ones should not feel heavy. You'll be very unhappy if you end up with a heavy comforter.

btw, part feather will be much heavier than 100% down. Don't try to save money by settling for feathers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating