Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 08:12 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,032,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Personally, I would make a game room if I had an extra room.
That's what I'm doing with mine, although it's a small loft area rather than an actual room. And I'm stealing the nearby linen closet and adding extra shelving in it for game storage. My 10 year old is over the moon excited about it!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 08:12 AM

9,344 posts, read 13,928,855 times
You could breed gerbils!

Old 07-20-2014, 01:13 PM

41,733 posts, read 74,684,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
You could breed gerbils!
My cats would love a room where they could freely shed fur, without my invading their space with the evil vacuum cleaner every other day.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:38 PM

10,020 posts, read 17,925,601 times
OP, I know exactly what you are going through -- I went through the same thing 2 years ago! Even started a thread about it ... If you had an extra room in your house ... .

I actually do wish my house were smaller, but I still love the lot and the neighborhood, and those were the most important things when I was buying the house (I wanted a much larger lot than the one I had, and that's what I got!!).

Good luck with your decision, and keep us posted!

Old 07-20-2014, 02:57 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,685,503 times
Karen - I read your thread - is that bedroom still the kitty room? did you ever get the treadmill down to the basement?

Old 07-20-2014, 03:26 PM

10,020 posts, read 17,925,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Karen - I read your thread - is that bedroom still the kitty room?
lol, I had forgotten that I'd called it that! That bedroom is still the "spare" although I do have 2 "recording sites" in that room (I do a ton of recording for my job). Otherwise it's more a "crap" room than anything else -- often I put stuff in there until I can figure out what I want to do with it. I am currently building some shelving for that room, which has the kitties very curious ...

Quote:
Did you ever get the treadmill down to the basement?
I finally got the treadmill INSIDE the house (from the garage) but it only made it as far as the TV room!! It's a big one and would be, I think, impossible to get down to the basement without taking it apart. It's actually been OK having it in the TV room as that's the room I usually enter and so it's always THERE to remind me to work out!!

Old 07-20-2014, 04:27 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,915,824 times
We have five bedrooms plus a loft with our son living on his own and daughter away at college 3/4 of the year. We have a very large guest suite( formerly our sons room), a work out room in an unused bedroom( I'd love to turn that room into a huge closet/dressing room), another small bedroom that we turned into a cozy tv room for the two of us, previously it was a second guest room, then for a short while the cat room, the loft is my office/craft room which is often referred to as "Goofball Central"LOL. DH has a workshop in the basement and we had a large media room down there until a plumbing problem caused damage. Still not sure if we will reconfigure it the same way. We've had no problem coming up with uses for extra rooms.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:01 AM

21 posts, read 18,476 times
I think you should make that room a Library .Because books are good friends they have no complaints and no demands.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:39 AM

23,967 posts, read 10,303,770 times
Mother decided not to spend a couple of months per year with us and we found ourselves with two bedrooms, real walk in closets and a jack/jill. It took a while and we "moved" in. Of course the cats have their room:>)
It may be more house than you need right now but who knows what the future may bring - kids that spend time, a care taker, a friend, a hobby, ...

Old 07-22-2014, 09:20 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,154,163 times
Quote:
I'm starting to look at homes available in the area I will be retiring to. Most of the homes are 3 -4 bedrooms or 3 bedrooms plus a bonus room over the garage. So I'm looking for ideas on what to do with the extra rooms. There would be a Master bedroom and 1 bedroom will be reserved for guests. The question is what to do with the other rooms. I don't need or want a home office and don't have a hobby that requires a lot of room. I'm thinking home gym/yoga for 1 room, but welcome your suggestions.
Well, I did convert one room into the home office/craft room and the other spare into a walk-in closet. I originally wanted to turn the now-walk-in-closet-room into a media room to get the TV out of the living room...but the missus wasn't t having it.

If anything you can use at least one extra room for storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating