Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:41 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,668,763 times

Advertisements

Although it seems odd to have a bedroom with no windows (and the legality/exceptions have already been discussed), I wouldn't swap the den for the BR as some have suggested. If I had to have a room with no windows, I suppose the room that I sleep in would be the best one. Who cares if it's dark when you're sleeping? But then, I rarely spend any time in my BR for anything other than sleeping (and, of course, other bedtime activities).

The den, presumably, would be used during the day, and benefit more from having the window.

Use mirrors (on multiple walls so they reflect off each other), pale colored paint, pale billowy sheers around the bed, a ceiling paint that is both pale and has some sheen. I would do everything I could find in light colors, even the furniture and bedding, with just a few accent pieces (pillows, mirror frame, vase, tiebacks for the sheers, etc) in a very bright color for contrast. And of course, very interesting light fixtures, with multiple bulbs & levels of brightness.

I actually think that room would be fun to decorate and furnish because you do have so much wall space. Some rooms have so many doors and windows there is practically no place to put furniture that looks right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 10:51 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
Strategic use of mirrors?
I'd put a mirrors along the upper 1/4 of the right-hand wall.
Based upon the floor plan, they should reflect the light from the living area windows. That, combined with the light coming over the top of the 3/4 wall, should be sufficient daylight but certainly you wouldn't want a dark wall color.

Love kayanne's suggestions as well.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:16 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,265 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=faux...w=1280&bih=633

Old 07-31-2014, 01:26 PM

126 posts, read 156,428 times
What about hanging some wooden windows with no glass in them in the space to give the illusion of windows?

Old 07-31-2014, 01:49 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
I feel like some people are missing part of the point of windows, which is to let in air! I would use the den as the bedroom because for me, it would not be about disguising the lack of windows with curtains or a fake backdrop. It would be about wanting to be able to open up the window and let some fresh air circulate through, especially for sleeping.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:24 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,986,300 times
hook a camera up outside and attach it to an LCD TV. Have the TV be your window.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:52 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,668,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I feel like some people are missing part of the point of windows, which is to let in air! I would use the den as the bedroom because for me, it would not be about disguising the lack of windows with curtains or a fake backdrop. It would be about wanting to be able to open up the window and let some fresh air circulate through, especially for sleeping.
Oh, I never sleep with windows open, some homes because our BR is on the 1st story so it's a crime prevention issue, or some homes because the weather is rarely nice enough, or in some homes, the windows aren't the kind that open because it's always too hot in that area to open them anyway.

OP didn't mention wanting to be able to open the windows, she just asked how to liven the room up, and mentioned mirrors, paint, etc.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:10 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
For me, the lack of a window is about a lack of a secondary egress from the room/home in case of a fire or some other major emergency. The 'what if' would constantly weigh on my mind with a bedroom that had no windows.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:27 PM

48 posts, read 84,335 times
The purpose of the wall curtains was to control light from the 3/4 wall and add an interesting soft texture to the room - not to hide the lack of a window.

However, I think a lot of posters picked up on something that totally flew over my head: The idea of a windowless bedroom is unsettling and claustrophobia-triggering to some people. When a specific room makes some individuals worry about the legality of building codes, prison cell effects, air circulation, and potential fires and major disasters, they should probably pick a different room to sleep in or shop around for a different housing situation. Home should be a refuge, not a place that makes people think they're being locked up or set up for disaster - especially here in high population density, high COL swampland.

If the OP already signed a lease and is stuck with the place for a few months to a year, I'd seriously consider the previous posters' advice to sleep in the den. The front bedroom could make a very nice home office with extra guest space. Either way, here are a few more windowless bedroom photos for ideas for inspiration to help the windowless bedroom not feel like torture:

From My Decor Ideas Basement Bedroom Ideas page - more no window/low-light bedroom ideas there.

Cruise ship inner cabins don't have windows. Linky

From Pinterest. Note the mirrors and layers of lighting.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:43 PM

974 posts, read 1,896,655 times
They're probably marketing/circumventing the "windowless bedroom" issue by advertising as a loft condo with the 3/4 wall.

Totally legal. There are also multiple egresses-bedroom and bath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating