Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 09:01 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
There was a laundry chute in the house I grew up in. Great invention--but do you have kids that are inclined to put things down the chute they should not? Like ice cream cones, kitties, and if large enough chute, themselves! Or, do you have a very curious cat like mine who would venture into the chute on his own?
OMG, we did this -- all of it -- when we were preschoolers. My one playmate's mom didn't supervise us very closely ...

Our cat wandered down the ductwork when my parents were painting some of the rooms, and they removed the register covers. Cheap duct cleaning. Poor kitty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 09:09 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,958 times
Do some research. There are some materials you should consider using to line the laundry shoot -- think metal. The poster who mentioned fire codes was going the right direction. If you have a fire in your basement the fire could VERY QUICKLY move upstairs through your laundry shoot. There are also good doors for the shoots that are also fire rated. We installed a laundry shoot but did it the safe way.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:10 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Right now we arent doing anything but we are thinking on how when the time comes.

I am sorry I made fun of your spelling, sometimes I am just compelled by unknown forces from the lighter side.

In reference to your original post, my Mother had a laundry chute in her bathroom in her old house and for her it was wonderful.
She is handicapped so she put the laundry down the chute then slowly took the stairs and got her laundry done and my Brother or I carried it upstairs for her.

My Husband loves basements and I do not but when we build we are going to compromise.
He will get his basement but he is going to put in an elevator for me and the steps are going to be the old time steps that are low, wide and made out of concrete.
Depending on one's age will determine if one knows the steps I am talking about and the basement is going to be a walkout as well.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:36 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
There was a laundry chute in the house I grew up in. Great invention--but do you have kids that are inclined to put things down the chute they should not? Like ice cream cones, kitties, and if large enough chute, themselves! Or, do you have a very curious cat like mine who would venture into the chute on his own?
We used to do that at my friend's house.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:20 PM

546 posts, read 1,818,446 times
Quote:
This is funny One day my 3 year old actually took all the clean laundry off my bed and threw it down the laundry chute, mixing it in with the dirty clothes below. At that moment I considered a child lock for the laundry chute door.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:57 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Shoot?

Train your laundry properly.
NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA Certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

Old 08-10-2014, 12:00 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
We have decided to do as someone suggested and hang a basket under the hole with bungee cords. Ill snap a pic when i get it set up.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:59 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Made a Laundry Chute from the bathroom vent that led to nowhere today.

Started out like this, just a vent:

then i hung a basket under using eye hooks and bungees:

Its not perfect but it works for now.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:55 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I think it would be a little hard to retrofit one, but not impossible. We had one in a 1972 house, and the laundry chute was a life saver with a lot of kids and a basement laundry.
Before I'd put in a laundry chute, I would figure out a way to put the laundry on the same floor as the bedrooms. Think creatively. In the neighborhood where we had the laundry chute, some folks are now adding a third car garage, so they can take part of the original two car as a first floor laundry room.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Laundry Chute, OK? You connect up the target and the hole with ductwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating