Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 PM

546 posts, read 1,818,610 times

Advertisements

We are going to replace our front entry doors. We have some options....currently it is a front door with a glass window with two panels on either side with glass as well. We could keep that style or I could also go with double doors. I am looking into what Pella has to offer. I have heard that you typically will get your return on front entry doors because they add value to your home. Since we have cold winters energy efficiency is important as well as style. Our house is very traditional looking but I don't want to end up repainting our home to match the door so we probably need to go with white. Would love feedback on preferences as far as double v. single with panels, brands, style, etc. I know I want glass in them. Has anyone used a company or product they really liked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
You can paint your door without having to paint the whole house to match.

If it were me, id do the 1 door with glass panels on each side. I have heard they are a safety issue, but im not sure how true that is? (someone can break the side panel and then reach in and open the door?)

Old 08-13-2014, 09:50 PM

Yes, I like the look of one door with glass panels on each side too, and also glass in the main door. My next door neighbor is a retired police officer and he has informed these are indeed not good for the reason you mentioned. Someone could just break the glass and undo your lock. But I really love that look!

If people do have double doors--do you use that feature often and open both? We have always been able to bring in our furniture, etc. okay without a problem when moving.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:16 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
These are nice as well as safer. But, me thinks the cost would be significantly higher.

Iron Doors - Exterior - Traditional - Front Doors - dallas - by D'Hierro Hand Forged Iron

Old 08-14-2014, 08:18 AM

Like the iron doors a lot. I saw that style often in TX on many of the nicer homes. Our house is more of a Cape Cod style though so I don't think it would look right.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:45 AM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
I have heard that you typically will get your return on front entry doors because they add value to your home. Since we have cold winters energy efficiency is important as well as style. Our house is very traditional looking but I don't want to end up repainting our home to match the door so we probably need to go with white.
I would not expect any sort of return on a front entry door... they do not add value, they are a necessity!

IF you want to maximize energy efficiency, get a storm door.
And around here, doors rarely match the house. They are a different color...a focal point.

I greatly dislike double doors... most are a huge security issue.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:48 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
When it comes to doors form shouldn't outweigh function; meaning a single door has less weatherstripping/contact area than double doors- lessening the chances of air infiltration.

The function of sidelites is to allow light into the foyer without having glass within the door. Pretty much all glass in doors and sidelites are IG now.

From the security standpoint- I wouldn't worry about it. If they want in bad enough they'll get in- sidelites or no sidelites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating