Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:13 PM

141 posts, read 306,833 times

Advertisements

I hired someone who I 'thought' was a professional and it has been a disaster!

I paid 3/4's of $6100It started out fine, the sanding looked like it was going along pretty well.

But when they finished and started to apply the stain, it looked blotchy. I stopped him and asked him about it. He said it was minwax, but not what he uses normally because the Zar (?) was out and he said they are made by the same company except the Zar (?) was the professional grade.

He insisted it was the 'shadows' in the house and said he was going to finish and that I would LOVE it in the morning.

Well morning comes and it's a sloppy, scratchy, blotchy mess. THE ENTIRE FLOOR! Plus I said - DO NOT get paint on the railings as I didn't have the money to have them repainted and that every painter I spoke to said it was pricey and difficult to do a good job because it tends to drip. Well, you can see what they did....

They also used a funky stain that is tacky and sticky on the stairs and railing. I asked him if he used the same stuff that left the floors ruined, and he claimed he did not (I was gone an hour to run to work) but there is an empty gallon of the stuff they swore they weren't going to use anymore. Hmmm.

I've attached some pictures. I have hundreds of them since the entire 2000 square feet (both up and down) are ruined.

So, they begged to resand and to start over. Great, except they aren't sanding it all off (the grain is still stained dark. We chose dark walnut) and I'm worried if the grain will be super dark and well, grainy. I believe the floors are oak. I don't have my inspection report with me and the MLS doesn't list it. (This is a house we just bought. It is 18 years old)

What should I look out for? How can I tell they are using the right stain and not the gel? He claims the product HAD to be defective and that is was thick.

The pictures are in the post below because I had to learn how to resize them. They were taken with my phone. I'msure which ones are showing up, but I have tons more. Some are easy to see than others.

Last edited by WestPalmHereIcome; 09-11-2014 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 07:19 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
I can't see your pictures, but I totally believe it's a disaster. We just had a new fence stained, and they totally ruined it. They did not clean it and prepare it properly, which caused the stain to be blotchy, and there was visible dirt under the stain in places. They send sanded it, but didn't sand it evenly, and restained, so it's now even blotchier. They then tried to blend it all in by applying more stain, and now the fence is blotchy plus a deep awful color that I never wanted. I'd say talk to the paint store about the best stain to use and make sure that's what they use, and then watch like a hawk and stop them the minute they screw up.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:36 PM

Default Here are someimages taken from my phone

Help wood floor disaster-20140911_094505_opt.jpg This shows how the stain did not take along the wall.

Help wood floor disaster-20140911_094821_opt.jpg This shows the swirls, but you have to enlarge the photo to see them

Help wood floor disaster-20140911_094837-1-_opt.jpg Scratches in floor - this is everywhere as are the swirls

Help wood floor disaster-20140911_172026_opt.jpg In between the railings and scratches along floor - it's like this the entire room (ALL)

Help wood floor disaster-20140911_095635_opt.jpg SHows the pool of staining and scratches by the edge.

Last edited by WestPalmHereIcome; 09-11-2014 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: adding descriptions for photos

Old 09-11-2014, 07:52 PM

Default More bad stain job pics

Help wood floor disaster-20140911_171956_opt.jpg SHows the scratches between every single railing on the floor
Help wood floor disaster-20140911_094557_opt.jpg Shows the uneven stain
Help wood floor disaster-20140911_094723-1-_opt.jpg Shows the uneven stain

Old 09-11-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I can't see your pictures, but I totally believe it's a disaster. We just had a new fence stained, and they totally ruined it. They did not clean it and prepare it properly, which caused the stain to be blotchy, and there was visible dirt under the stain in places. They send sanded it, but didn't sand it evenly, and restained, so it's now even blotchier. They then tried to blend it all in by applying more stain, and now the fence is blotchy plus a deep awful color that I never wanted. I'd say talk to the paint store about the best stain to use and make sure that's what they use, and then watch like a hawk and stop them the minute they screw up.
Man, I am so sorry that happened to you. I am SO disappointed and very scared as this is inside my living areas. We've had floors sanded and re-stained and I KNEW there was a problem but he just made one excuse after another.

I will watch like a hawk, video tape and take more pictures. The pictures don't show the amount of damage they have done. I wish I could just get ALL my money back and hire someone else.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:19 PM

Default more pictures of bad stain job

Help wood floor disaster-20140911_095740_opt.jpg swifter swirls hand edger swirls

Help wood floor disaster-20140911_095827_opt.jpg hand edger swirls

Help wood floor disaster-20140911_095003_opt-1-.jpg swirls

Help wood floor disaster-20140911_095350_opt.jpg scratches

Help wood floor disaster-20140911_094508_opt.jpg uneven color

Help wood floor disaster-20140911_094608_opt-1-.jpg uneven and bumpy

Old 09-16-2014, 09:53 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
I am sorry about the botched job.

However I must say that to me, at least from the pictures you posted, that your new floors have an aged, antique look to them. This is just me, but I'd consider that a plus.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:49 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

However I must say that to me, at least from the pictures you posted, that your new floors have an aged, antique look to them. This is just me, but I'd consider that a plus.
That's what I thought too!
I have a friend that just paid through the nose to have floors with that worn, uneven look to them.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:04 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Ah, but there's a HUGE difference between wanting/expecting "warn/used" and wanting/expecting showroom fresh. I just had my floors done too, but it's a 1930 built house so I knew that the floors were going to have character. As we moved along, they showed me just how much to expect (I barely watched my crew after the first hour) and with one minor issue the floors turned out better than expected. The minor goof was a patch/lace job over some old HVAC vent holes that were no longer used, the wood was WAY too bleached white... but they dyed/stained it to match.

The work above just looks sloppy. Someone who was too new to know better, to lazy to do it right, or the OP picked the cheapest contractor and expected results that it'd cost more to achieve (based on time spent). Not sure why they were paid anything, at ALL, before the floors were finished. That's just the biggest red flag imaginable... refinishing floors is nearly all labor when it comes to the cost breakdown. Not like anyone needs to run out and buy expensive materials... if they don't own their own equipment and need money up front to rent it, red flag again....

Anyway, OP... you're in a pickle. If you haven't involved the owner of the company (or corporate offices if a big company), then you're missing the boat there. Next step would be to document Everything as best you can remember... names, times, places, phone records you can back up with bills, transcripts of what was said and from this instant on, all conversations either in writing or recorded (make sure you know your state laws, some require both parties to agree to a recording, others only require You to agree), and then get legal counsel. This is something that can be settled in court, with either a refund or a "fix it to your satisfaction" scenario. It Will take a lot of time, some money, and a significant load of frustration (lots more than what you've dealt with so-far). But if you're willing to be tenacious, you can have the floors you wanted for within a $1000 more or less than what you're already out.

No reason not to take to social media with this as well... ESPECIALLY if the "company" is doing anything with social media. Anywhere they have a presence, you can be there to be a thorn in their side. Put some pressure on them in the form of bad news, heck if they were recommended by anyone, let Them know too... I've had situations resolved through a 3rd party before because of recommendations (the guy took his word seriously and let the company know they would be losing out on a lot of referrals if they didn't make me happy).

Old 09-16-2014, 01:12 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
It seems obvious that the floors were not sanded well enough. Those scratches across the grain just should not be there on a well sanded surface. I have stained a few of my own oak floors over the years and I'll tell you this, It's tricky. I have gotten great results and I have gottern horrible results. My living room and dining room in the house I have now are stained black because the lighter stain I put on looked terrible. I could not sand the floor any more, it was right down to the nails and so I just stained over with ebony stain. I like it actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating