Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:35 PM

948 posts, read 921,285 times

Advertisements

If the curtains are a few inches longer than the window sill, but not all the way to the floor, would that look good or bad?

DH insists that they should be longer, for better insulation from the outside temperature, but he doesn't want floor-length because his new puppy will attack them. But I'm worried it might look like we didn't measure them right. Would it make the room look more formal, or sloppy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 06:12 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Would it make the room look more formal, or sloppy?
Definitely NOT more formal.
Sloppy? I don't see how short curtain even could look sloppy. Sloppy - to me - are the overly pooled ones.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:18 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I believe it is correct to have them either at the sill, or down to the bottom of the window casing. It's just that no man's land between there and the floor that's wrong.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:38 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I believe it is correct to have them either at the sill, or down to the bottom of the window casing. It's just that no man's land between there and the floor that's wrong.
That kinda depends on the size of the window and the size of the curtain-
And where the rod is mounted.

Then again, depending on which room can make a difference. OP, you didn't say which room. Formal rooms I believe, should have floor length panels. Other rooms could have window length panels.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:27 AM

61,708 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

^^^ This! And I don't like them breaking/puddling at the floor - it just looks messy to me, and I don’t want the drapes sweeping the floor with each opening and closing
All mine end at the sill or about 1/2 above the floor - they look classic ans tailored.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:46 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
I suggest that you stop by a fabric shop and look through some of their home dec books to see what styles appeal to you. Just below the sill is very common and looks fine to me unless it were in a very formal living room or dining room.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:01 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
On the sill is good for kitchen curtains while just below is acceptable elsewhere, after checking with a friend who is a professional seamstress 4 inches below the window sill would seem to be the correct length if you are looking at shorter curtains.

Oh and a further tip, make sure you have a good depth hem and use lightweight weights to give a good drape.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Personal taste response here. I agree with gentlearts. Either the bottom of the sill or the floor, anything in between, to me looks like an incorrect length curtain.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:09 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
How far from the floor is the sill? If it's halfway up the wall, it's ok to use a shorter curtain. But if it's a large window and not a lot of wall space, I personally think it would look awkward to have them stop at or slightly below the sill.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:41 PM

948 posts, read 921,285 times
Windows are in the middle of the wall. Sill is halfway from the floor.

4 different rooms: bedrooms, office, and living room. The living room also has sliding glass doors.

For pre-made curtains, our only options are a few inches under the sill or about an inch above it , or floor-length. Just above and just below are not available.

MIL offered to buy the curtains, so I wouldn't ask her to buy custom. Besides, I want to buy a house in t he near future, so it wouldn't be a good idea to invest a lot in temporary curtains. I don't want them to look bad though.

I was thinking of going with t he inch above for the sheers, and few inches below for the drapes. DH and his mom are thinking the longer option for both . His mom has absolutely no interest in interior decorating though, and he's only thinking practically (about weather insulation and blocking out light.). Should they be the same length?

I did try one window and the length is about 4 inches below, as Jan recommended. It seems fine with just one curtain, but not with a curtain and sheer combination. But maybe that's just because the tacky pink heart curtains DD begged for clash with the cedar walls ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating