Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 05:23 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,809,810 times

Advertisements

So, I'm the neighbor with the dark black spot in the middle of the condo complex's decorations. As you drive up the street, the units beside and above me are always decorated. My unit ruins it because I just don't decorate. This year, I have decided to put lights across my 5-ft high patio wall that is covered in stucco. I cannot drill nails, screws, hooks, anything like that into the wall... against HOA rules.

So, is there something I can use to attach the lights to the top of the wall? Some kind of product with adhesive? I checked out the industrial strength velcro, and the package says it'll stick to concrete. Stucco is not a smooth surface, so I don't know how well that will work. I tried duct tape once, but it didn't hold for more than a couple of days.

I did come up with a crazy idea to wrap a few pieces of fishing line around the wall (top/bottom) and run the light string under that so it'll stay on the top of the wall. I'll need about 20 ft of lights.

Ideas? Suggestions? I really want to do something this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 05:30 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
They are decorated with what? Your not saying Christmas lights are you? We have not even had Thanksgiving. We have this one neighbor a block away that puts up everything the weekend after Halloween and I can not understand why that is. A newer neighborhoood near us has an HOA with rules saying that you can not decorate untill a week before and you have to take it down a week after. One home there goes all out and is allready lit up. Looks nice but it is way to early for all that.

Take some pictures of your place and let us see what you have.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
They are decorated with what? Your not saying Christmas lights are you? We have not even had Thanksgiving. We have this one neighbor a block away that puts up everything the weekend after Halloween and I can not understand why that is. A newer neighborhoood near us has an HOA with rules saying that you can not decorate untill a week before and you have to take it down a week after. One home there goes all out and is allready lit up. Looks nice but it is way to early for all that.

Take some pictures of your place and let us see what you have.
No, no, no... they're not decorated yet. I'm making MY plans to hang lights. That's all I want to do... hang 2 strings of lights. I have a concrete wall 20 ft long, but is covered in stucco. The top of the wall is flat, about 4" deep. I need to find something that I can attach to the wall that I can attach the lights to. Duct tape won't work, neither does packing tape... I tried both.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:02 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,985,772 times
Easy.

Hot glue gun.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Easy.

Hot glue gun.
Oh, my... I never thought about that! Genius!

Old 11-10-2014, 10:16 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
I haven't used it personally but I believe 3M Command hooks will stick to stucco - just try to find the smoothest patch in each area you want to put a hook on.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:17 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Easy.

Hot glue gun.
If OP is in an area that gets below freezing hot glue may not work. Cold temps loosen the bond.

How about asking the other neighbors what they use?

Old 11-11-2014, 06:06 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Hang clear plastic chicken wire to where you can attach it and then hang the decorations on that.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Hang clear plastic chicken wire to where you can attach it and then hang the decorations on that.
Theres really nothing to attach it to without drilling holes for hooks, etc.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
If OP is in an area that gets below freezing hot glue may not work. Cold temps loosen the bond.

How about asking the other neighbors what they use?
Yes, occasionally it'll get close to freezing, but rarely, so I did consider that, but I'll try it anyway. As for the neighbors, I'll have to see what they do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating