Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 04:15 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for suggestions of what to use on the sliding glass doors that go out from my living room to what will be a deck and the yard. I put cellular shades up on the windows so need something that will look ok with those but will also be very functional to go in and out the doors.

As far as style, the living room is a work in progress and some of the furniture is awaiting delivery (or purchase!), but it will be a mix of mid-century modern and contemporary modern styles. So anything very ornate or fussy wouldn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 08:58 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I have a slider from my kitchen to my 3 season screen room. I installed a traverse rod and hung a curtain that draws to the odds side of that he slider. You could use any fabric that works with your room decor.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:10 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Film.
I am a fan of Home - Colorado Solar Vision

Old 01-04-2015, 09:35 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I have a slider from my kitchen to my 3 season screen room. I installed a traverse rod and hung a curtain that draws to the odds side of that he slider. You could use any fabric that works with your room decor.
I had to look up traverse rod, but thanks, that is definitely a possibility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Film.
I am a fan of Home - Colorado Solar Vision
Dave, I actually have that place on my to do list from when you've mentioned it in the past, and I plan to get the film for the energy savings and UV protection. But I also have privacy considerations as the slider (and yard) is on the side of the house and you can see right into my living room when you drive or walk by.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:01 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,985,263 times
I've been struggling with this for the past couple years. I hate the vertical blinds that came with our sliding glass door in the bedroom. Hate them! French doors would be attractive, but I didn't want to lose that space where they would swing. I was leaning toward large bamboo panels, but hubby nixed that idea. I just bought grommet curtains and a rod and hope to have them up within the week. I hope I like them!

Old 01-04-2015, 11:13 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I also have privacy considerations
My neighbors had privacy film installed. Cannot see into their house: day or night.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:51 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times
We had slides with vertical blinds and replaced the doors with french doors with internal blinds. Our doors swing in because we have a very large living room and bedroom so room wasn't a problem. Love the internal blinds and would never have anything else after having the. So much nicer than having the verticals, and also much more convenient. Don't have to mess with them every time I want to open the doors...
Privacy screens or film make for a very dark room... We have solar screens we put up in the heat of the simmer and they really darken the rooms.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:07 AM

274 posts, read 353,433 times
Quote:
I'm going through that now as I'm getting new curtains for my 96" slider. They were makeshift, installed quickly when I got rid of the hated verticals that were here when I purchased. The door is really too long to do without a traverse rod, but I hate the common ones.

There are several in the 'decorative traverse rod' category, but I'm leaning towards wood over metal. I ordered some free samples from Smith and Noble of colors and liked the choices.

Here are some of the options Smith Noble offers: Traversing Track Collections - Hardware - Smith+Noble

Old 01-05-2015, 06:30 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I also bought one the color (closest that I could get) of the trim color and that way it disappears into the trim when the curtain is drawn open.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:46 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:

Dave, I actually have that place on my to do list from when you've mentioned it in the past, and I plan to get the film for the energy savings and UV protection. But I also have privacy considerations as the slider (and yard) is on the side of the house and you can see right into my living room when you drive or walk by.
I have a drapes with traverse rod on my slider. I like the extra light of having it all the way open in the day.

Is there a way you could landscape the outside to block the view?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating