Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 10:20 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times

Advertisements

I have a large double sink in my kitchen as well as a smaller "vegetable" sink with a garbage disposal that I use the most for food prep.

But after 10 years it has gotten discolored and is really hard to keep looking nice, I guess because the finish has gotten roughed up. So tea grounds, etc. every day keep it looking stained no matter what I do. Does refinishing make sense or is it cheaper to just replace it? How much might it cost and how much skill would that take (like a general handy man kind of job?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 10:44 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times
Is it a drop-in or undermount? What is the surface of the adjacent counter? Did you price replacement sinks? The answers to these questions will effect the price.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:53 AM

Drop-in sink - I see similar sinks between $150-$200 (acrylic) - but I don't think my current is acrylic.

Countertop is nothing fancy - just formica or some-such.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:21 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Unless you are also getting other bath fixtures refinished and the contractor "throws it in" I suspect it will be far more cost effective to just buy a replacement sink.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:18 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
What's the material of your current sink?

What do you clean it with?

Old 01-11-2015, 02:25 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
What's the material of your current sink?

What do you clean it with?

The answer to these two questions would HELP A LOT!!!

Then again, if you think it could be acrylic (which its probably not) then its probably porcelain.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The answer to these two questions would HELP A LOT!!!

Then again, if you think it could be acrylic (which its probably not) then its probably porcelain.
Yes - it's porcelain... I use Bar Keepers Friend on it which is supposedly safe for ceramic, porcelain, fiberglass etc. - but even that only occasionally. ...I'm not sure how knowing how I may have messed up my CURRENT sink will help in deciding what to do with it now?

Old 01-13-2015, 08:33 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Abrasive cleaners on porcelain is NOT GOOD!
As the "glass" gets scratched from everyday use (which is a little) and from cleaning (which is a lot) it becomes more and more difficult to clean and keep clean. BKF is an abrasive. Just like Comet, Soft Scrub, etc.

The best method for cleaning a porcelain sink is non-abrasive cleaners that have bleach in them. Or a "bleach bath"- fill the sink(s) with hot water, add a cup of bleach, and let it stand for a hour or so.

BKF is best for SS sinks- it can make a dull&dingy SS sink look brand new in a matter of minutes.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:02 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Another "trick" for getting a grungy looking sink surprisingly de-stained -- get the good quality automatic dishwasher that comes in a liquid bottle NOT the "gel". My WalMart usually has this -- Cascade With Bleach All In 1 Complete Dishwasher Dish Detergent, Fresh Rapids, 75 oz - Walmart.com

COVER the sink with a thick layer of it. Let is sit overnight and then attack it with hot water the next day, scothbrite and rubber gloves. It sorta forms a "paste" that draws stains out of the areas that have become porous.
Once it is all rinsed and COMPLETELY dry you can try some synthetic CAR WAX to shine it back up. REALLY, I have done this and works. Amazon.com: Turtle Wax T-465R ICE Paste Polish Wax - 8 oz.: Automotive The shine will last quite a while too -- weeks, if you just you use regular dish soap (like Palmolive / Dove), don't use BKF or anything abrasive, it will strip off the wax.

Obviously this is NOT a long term solution, but it will help a dingy sink look pretty good!

Preventive maintenance tip for those with sink in good shape: GET SOME SS grid for the bottom! When a rough metal pot is scoured inside a sink it transfers all that motion into the sink and rubs the shine off stainless, acrylic, porcelian, stone, probably even diamond! Always protect the sink! Never use an abrasive, even "finely divided" stuff like BKF is still wearing away the gloss coat /layer/polish. If regular Palmolive or Dove won't get a stain out switch the automatic dishwasher stuff but be warned YOU NEED GLOVES -- the stain fighting stuff will tear up your skin!

Old 01-13-2015, 11:00 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times
Since it's a drop in sink i would guess that a "general handyman" could handle the job. The most complex problem would be removing the sink without damaging the surrounding countertop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating