Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:00 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times

Advertisements

So far, the SureFit company sounds like the way to go... they do have some nice looking denim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 08:36 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
So far, the SureFit company sounds like the way to go... they do have some nice looking denim.
As grad students we had the ugliest comfy couch you ever saw! I tried other slip covers and they drove me nuts with their eternal sliding and popping out at the seams whenever we sat on the couch.
I ended up buying a cream colored Pottery Barn slipcover from Ebay for less than half its original price. I was stunned by the size of hte thing when it showed up but it had ties that gave it a very graceful semi -tailored look and inserts that you shoved down between the arm and the seat to hold the cover in place. And it worked!!! I would NOT pay full Pottery Barn price for it but it was my best experience with slip covers. Our next couch was leather and the slip cover went back to ebay and I actually got most of my investment back

Old 01-15-2008, 10:59 AM

Thanks Bookworm ... never thought to check ebay.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:02 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,402 times
Quote:
it's funny -- you see them all the time on these "re-do" shows on HG TV, and they all look like they go on so easily.

I was hoping to go Demin ... and i really dont want to buy new furniture ... but mine are starting to show "wear".
They could potentially go on easy but my experience is that they don't. They suck!! Never fit right. Look messy. I use throws in case the cats decide to get in the habit of sleeping on the couch/sofas. Looks so much better. Denim may be different. I have never used them. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:44 PM

40 posts, read 480,179 times
Hi-
I've had good luck with Sure Fit Ivory Damask-looking sofa cover that I purchased from Walmart for about $70.00. I use it on an old sofa-sleeper that has the large arms. It fit really good.

A few years back I purchased sofa covers from QVC and for some reason, I never used them - I believe I sold them at yard sale. From what I remember, they were difficult to put on and I gave up.

the Sure Fit that I recently purchased was easy to fit to the sofa.

Ebay sells Sure Fit.

I also saw a new "gold" looking style in the current decorating magazines.

CaTe

Old 01-25-2008, 03:28 PM

Sure Fit at Walmart? i'll have to look into that.

thanks for the info.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:50 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
I tried and failed with slip covers. I like couches with polished wood arms instead of upholstery. The best way I found to cover the couch without hiding the arms was to go with one satin and one flannel sheet. The satin sheet goes on first, the the flannel sheet. I tuck the ends under the arm rest and use a straight pin to tuck both sheets under the couch. The sheets are long enough to be tucked into the bottom of the back rest and then the excess is straight pinned to the back of the couch. Since there is a wall behind the couch, nobody can see this is a frugal slip cover. Both sheets wash and dry very well. Flannel hardly ever shows wrinkles.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:55 PM

4 posts, read 16,305 times
Hello,

We have a slipcover on our sofa in the living room. I really don't care for it. It seems like we are always fighting keeping it tucked in. We have kids and it really doesn't work so well in that situation. They don't even rough house on there, but it still get messed up easily. It would be okay if only adults sat on their. When you take it off to wash it, it is tough to get back on too. It was about 70.00 for the cover.
Hope this helps,
Kelly

Old 02-08-2008, 05:23 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Quote:
I've been debating getting slip covers for our family room furniture, sofa and love seat ... but with all the various shapes of sofas and love seats, how do i know if it will fit?

and i dont think these things are cheap either ... so i'd hate it not to fit right.

any one have any comments?

TIA,

tcs
Now that we have a dog that likes to do the Bichon Blitz, it is essential to protect the couch. I found a 2 piece cover from Target that is easier to install but not necessarily as neat in appearance than original upholstery.

This is not my video but picture this in my living room with the dog jumping on and off of the couch and running the perimeter of the kitchen, den and halls in a 30 second cycle.

YouTube - Bichon Blitz

YouTube - Bichon Frisé *BLITZING DOG* Bichon Frisé

Old 02-11-2008, 09:22 PM

Oh yea -- I have a blitzing dog too. he "pings" off the furniture when he's getting roudy ... luckily, as he is getting older, those days are far and few between.

ladies -- thanks again for all of your experiences... It has been very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating