Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 06:09 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Small tiles would be period correct for a 1950s house as well. Bonus points for pastel tiles in any color.
This is what is in the main bath now, however replacing the windows, plumbing and electrical required removing a bunch of it. That room has other problems that guarantee a full gut job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If you are trying to keep more of a period feel for MCM, I'm not sure I'd go with the 12x24s. But I also think a modern renovation with a clean and angular look can live very harmoniously with MCM. FWIW, in terms of potential resale, I think a modern bathroom is the better choice, unless the rest of the house is all period style. You'd be narrowing your market but the people who want a real MCM are going to want that style in the bathroom as well.
99% of the renovated MCM's are being done modern. Nobody in Seattle seems to be keeping them period specific the way you see on retrorenovation. We've taken an approach of identifying the best elements and keeping those. Everything else that was either shoddy to begin with or too deteriorated to restore is being replaced.

The back bath is small, so it's going to get a door-less walk in shower. You wouldn't find that in any 50's house regardless. In that respect trying to maintain period correctness is a moot point for that room anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 02:15 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
In the planning stages for my main level bathroom remodel (also serves as master bath). I am planning on using 12x24 tile because tile is a heck of a lot easier to keep clean than grout or glass.

It does, however, mean that I have to do a bit of extra planning to figure out how to run the tile to best use the tile size. I am not fond of massive expanses of glass because they have to be cleaned every time you shower and they show every fingerprint and because I already have balance issues due to a neurological problem - meaning that I need several handholds in my shower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating