Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 01:04 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
That is, frankly, false information. Or rather it's a falsehood by omission... as I mentioned above, there are 2 ways to finish the floor. One being a shiny finish with a floor buffer and the other being a matte/satin finish with a simple applicator pad. To keep a shiny/buffed floor looking good, you WILL need to buff it occasionally. Obviously, when it no longer shines up, then you'll have to apply more finish (same is true for both methods), though I find that in my private homes this takes 2~3 years... even in super high traffic areas (mudroom that sees all the entry/exit/boots/mud/etc...) Eventually, you'll have enough layers of finish that it always looks dull and it needs to be stripped. I haven't gotten to that point yet. Even 50+ year old, original instal 9"x9" tiles (1950 home I bought), looked stunning with just a fresh coat of finish.

But I *HAVE* stripped a floor thanks to poor finish (wife poured on the finish and allowed it to pool, it dried Horribly). Took me about 6 hours with a plastic putty knife and some scotchbrite pads to strip a LARGE room (approx 15x30). No professionals needed, no special tools, just time.

That doesn't mean it's the right choice for you/everyone, but if you're making your decision based on just that one comment then you should know the truth. I mean, the exact same is true of wood floors (the top coat will need to be screened and more applied at Some point, else you're looking at a full sanding).
You are correct, I should have been clearer. The matte finish on the VCT I saw is too dull for me so that means a shiny finish and the buffer and the work. Also, I have a very large kitchen and I can't do it myself, more work and more $$. Not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 06:27 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
I really appreciate this thread. I have mulled over new floor covering in my kitchen now for a number of years. I guess if I wait long enough, I will be too old to care.....lol. Good info to have and thank you for posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating