Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

If I wasn't interested in resale ever, and the showers were really nicely done and not skimpy and hard to clean, I'd prefer showers to baths with a shower. We have a walk in shower and a separate tub, and we've never used the tub! I wish the tub area was totally devoted to a large, well designed walk in shower.

But if I had to think of resale several years down the road, I'd want the tub/shower setup. Anything that is out of the ordinary in a resale can be an obstacle. Your on market home should be as mainstream as possible.

I don't know what mainstream is in the UK, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 06:33 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Unless you have small children, bathtubs pretty much go unused by most households. Large showers are now more expected.
Tell that to my woman! She soaks in the bath almost every night of the week and would kill me if I even suggested removing it.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:40 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Tell that to my woman! She soaks in the bath almost every night of the week and would kill me if I even suggested removing it.
Me too.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:49 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
I would not buy a house without a bathtub.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:50 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
I'd look askance at a house without at least one bathtub. Doesn't necessarily have to be huge, or be in the master bathroom, but none at all would be a turn-off.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:56 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Here in the UK we have a house which has an en suite shower room to the main bedroom.

The other three bedrooms are served by on a bathroom which has a bath with an overhead shower.

I can't remember the last time the bath was used as such ie to take a bath.

Suppose I had the bath removed and replaced with a decent sized walk in shower.

Would you buy a house that did not have a bath?
I would in a minute. I live in Houston, TX, and I'm not sure how different British people are from Americans in their bathing habits, but I'm almost 40 and my fiancee is 50. We never, ever take a bath (not even romantic baths). I actually have to dust out our bathtubs from lack of use. All of my American friends are the same way. We don't bathe. We take a 5 or 10 minute shower each morning and that's it. However, some families with kids use the bathtubs when the kids are too little to stand up on their own. Older people are more likely to take baths as well.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:59 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
I like to have a bathtub just in case. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but sometimes after playing basketball for hours, I do like to soak in a hot Epson salt bath. It's a nice treat every month or two. A tub is probably useful for kids and pets, too. A few weeks ago I dumped all my white blinds in the tub with some Clorox. For me there is no difference between taking a shower in a tub and taking one in a non-tubbed shower. Picking my leg up about 1.5ft just isn't a challenge - once I'm in, I only move about 1 foot back to soap up and then forward 1 foot when I need to rinse. I'm not sure if I'll ever desire some sort of humongous shower that some like. I'm not trying to bathe a football team.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:09 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Here in the UK we have a house which has an en suite shower room to the main bedroom.

The other three bedrooms are served by on a bathroom which has a bath with an overhead shower.

I can't remember the last time the bath was used as such ie to take a bath.

Suppose I had the bath removed and replaced with a decent sized walk in shower.

Would you buy a house that did not have a bath?
More people are doing that in the US; replacing tubs with a large shower. I think it's a bad move. I'd never buy a house without a tub. Many women, like myself, use bathtubs for a good soak and essential de-stressing. It's like a wonderful little escape. Plus, soaking in hot water is therapeutic. Some women even play music during their bath, and sip tea.

There's a contrary trend in the US, now, too, which has been going on for some years. People are installing deep tubs specially for soaking. There aren't "hot tubs", they're just bathtubs that are deeper than the standard, basic tub, or that are a little bigger. Also popular are the antique-style clawfoot tubs. Most luxury homes these days have a deep tub in the master bath.

So no, if I were you, I wouldn't eliminate the only tub in the house. You may be thinking that it would look more modern to convert it to a nice shower, than the old-fashioned tub-and-showerhead affair, but there must be other options to make it look contemporary.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:14 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
I don't see how a tub is in any way unsightly.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:33 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Without a full tub a bathroom that is classified as a half bath. If it has a shower it is a 3/4ths bath. If the home doesn't have a full bath that limits loan options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating