Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 12:25 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on painting the walls in my living room, entry way and hallway a light grey with a hint of blue (Benjamin Moore Thundercloud grey). Currently the walls and ceilings are white with the very slightest hint of yellow (Benjamin More Bone Flat White). I'm keeping the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom the Bone Flat White color.

I'm wondering if the new wall color will look good with the current color on the ceiling--or if I should repaint the ceiling in a more pure white. If I *do* repaint the ceiling in a whiter white, would that contrast in a negative way with the other rooms that are remaining the old color?

My instinct is that I should keep the current white throughout--but wanted to know what your opinions are. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 03:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Hmmm. I used B. Moore's Butter Pecan for all my ceiings. butter pecan 2165-70 Paint - Benjamin Moore butter pecan Paint Color Details

One solution to your problem might be to choose the same wall color, but the lightest value of it, for the ceiling. Everything will look smooth and coherent. I've done this before, and the ceiling looks white, but it blends so well with the wall color.

However, with your beautiful gray wall color, I think I would want a warmer ceiling color, especially if the floors are warm toned. Can you choose a lighter tone of the Bone White paint for this ceiling? This would still be coherent, as the same color, only a little darker, is on the rest of the ceilings.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:22 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
The ultra whites are what is used in this area for ceilings. We use nothing but satin ultra white for ceilings. You never see the sheen but it adds a tremendous amount of depth and warmth to a room. Painting the ceiling the same color means the light pastels wash out to look more like dirty ceiling and walls than painted, if you can tell what color it is. But it's all subject to what you like, not me or my building area.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The ultra whites are what is used in this area for ceilings. We use nothing but satin ultra white for ceilings. You never see the sheen but it adds a tremendous amount of depth and warmth to a room. Painting the ceiling the same color means the light pastels wash out to look more like dirty ceiling and walls than painted, if you can tell what color it is. But it's all subject to what you like, not me or my building area.
Some people like "ceiling white" or the ultra white for ceilings, but I don't. I think the white line above the wall is very harsh, especially if the wall tone is not light. I've done ceilings various ways numbers of times, and I like best using the lightest tint of the wall paint. This was not practical when we had the entire interior of our present house painted, so I went with a warm white Butter Pecan by B. Moore. But if doing a single room, I like using the lightest tint of the wall paint. The ceilings done this way do not look dirty, by the way. They look white. But not harsh.

Just because most people like to do ceilings one way, doesn't mean you or I can't do them the way we want.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:58 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Thanks Everyone for your input--much appreciated! I think I'm going to paint my walls and keep the current white color for the ceilings for now. After I see how it looks, I'll either keep the same color or go for the ultra white or light tint as suggested for the ceilings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating