Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,174 times

Advertisements

Hello Hello! I am trying to learn a bit about how everyone goes about working on personal home projects / decorating.

What is your number one motivator to start a home decorating project? (personal passion, hobby, something broke,etc.)

How do you prepare/ organize this new project? (do you use an app, write it down, pinterest, all in your head, etc.)

Do you do these projects on your own? or do you have a partner in crime?

How many projects a year do you work on?

Do you ever feel the need to save notes about your project and revisit them in the future? (paint colors, measurements, tools, etc)

If you would like to add any other notes feel free. I just wanted to keep this short. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 06:17 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Well when I redid our house I went and chose a color theme - you know those booklets you can get from paint stores? Something like that. Walls first, then fabrics - furniture & curtains. Sometimes you had to work with what you already had and couldn't change but most pieces fit ok.

I kept a physical notebook with paint colors and fabric swatches with me when I went looking. Say you need a few pillows - hit the store with your book and you can instantly see if something is going to match/fit.

I went room by room - some were easy, some took more effort. I got the whole house done within a year. And when it was finished I had a notebook that detailed every choice - so if I needed to fix something (match paint?) I had the info right there.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:14 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
I like to start with color for me too.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
When we have remodeled, it was because of a need. Twice, our kitchens were so outdated that neither of use could stand them. The first time, the floor plan was awful as well, so that was changed. We also ended up widening a hallway, and moving a door to the garage. That is the most extensive remodel we ever did. What drove it was dislike of how the house worked for us, which included the awful kitchen.

In terms of decorating, we usually felt we needed to freshen things up. I often would decide on a color range up front, but not always. Once, I changed a bedroom to a sewing/crafts room that required two redecorations in two bedrooms. Another time I sponge painted a bedroom with leftover paint. Once we made two child's bedrooms more friendly to active play, and we obtained some new furniture at the same time.

We don't do these things lightly. We think about them. I probably stew about them actually. I like the house to be functional. I hate bad floor plans, and awkwardness in general. We usually have known what we wanted to accomplish by the time we found the money to get going.

When we have simply repainted, this has been driven by a feeling that our present rooms are outdated and stale. I know that decorators say things like, "Just go for it. Its only paint!" But painting requires a lot of effort for us. Furniture must be covered and/or moved. I want to get it right the first time. I have had to live with some mistakes for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating