Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 10:40 AM

41,877 posts, read 74,938,731 times

Advertisements

You don't want guests to get too comfortable! I just had my childhood BFF and her teenage daughter here for five days. I'm wiped out. LOL

But I made sure they had plenty of blankets and pillows, fresh towels and washcloths, easily accessible outlets for recharging electronics, a side table for various stuff, a reading lamp, and spaces for hanging/folding clothes and suitcases. I cleared out two shelves in the bathroom cabinet (I have only one bathroom ... primitive, I know ... ) and set out some toiletries in case they needed them (the teenage girl forgot her deodorant - wouldn't you know, I'd just received a free sample that was still unused that I was happy to give her).

Sample-size shampoo etc. is really good to have for guests, especially guests who are flying. I always have a spare toothbrush etc. for myself anyway, so if a guest forgets one (or drops it into the cat litter box, like I did when I first met the guy who was to become my husband), it's no big deal.

A night light in the bathroom and/or hall. We all should have those, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 03:20 PM

50,169 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Spare robes (my sister visits me each month & she loves that I keep a robe for her to use in her guest room closet)
Ample supply of easy to reach TP
Plunger (stayed in a time share condo & didn't know the plunger was in the vanity under the sink)
Air freshener spray in bathroom
Ok, so I take TP as a given, and we do not need a plunger, ever. But really, when the grandkids come, one of them always clogs up the toilet, one of them always sets of the smoke alarm from steam from the shower, and that has been an issue forever (don't get me started).

My point is, when WE go somewhere, we want to leave the bathroom as we found it, and never need to mention any issues, so if a plunger and all cleaning materials are available, it is comforting.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:21 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,570,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, so I take TP as a given, and we do not need a plunger, ever. But really, when the grandkids come, one of them always clogs up the toilet, one of them always sets of the smoke alarm from steam from the shower, and that has been an issue forever (don't get me started).

My point is, when WE go somewhere, we want to leave the bathroom as we found it, and never need to mention any issues, so if a plunger and all cleaning materials are available, it is comforting.
I had a teenage house guest/dog sitter set off my smoke alarm with steam from the shower. Scared both her & my dog. My dog was so frightened, she jumped into the tub while the guest was in the shower. Weird thing is, this is a neighbor who lives RIGHT next door to me. We live in twin homes so her home is almost identical in layout. Perhaps their smoke detector isn't as steam sensitive or theirs is in a different location in their home.

I have since warned house guests to exit the bathroom into my bedroom then into the hall, then to their room.

I have a fan in there, I just never use it.

That's nice that you clean the bathroom or leave it as you found it. I would never think to do that other than to wipe down the counter top & make sure the sink was free of toothpaste.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
For me, the basics of a guest room are these:

trash can
tissues
lamp suitable for reading by the bed
place to hang my clothes with hangers
place to put my toiletries in the bath
warm blanket in case it gets cold at night
a chair
clean face cloths to use every night (a pipe dream)

Everything else is gravy, in my opinion. This is based on many stays I've made with relatives through the years. I can't tell you how many times I've gone looking for tissues. (allergies) And a trash can to throw those tissues in. I imagine that an alarm clock or clock radio might be good for deep sleepers.

I hope you enjoy your guests, and they you. How exciting for you!

I suppose if
Oops, I meant to mention that the charging station mentioned in a previous post is an excellent idea. I will implement that one myself.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:42 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,924,364 times
I didn't read all the replies but we have two guest rooms that are used pretty regularly. One has an en suite bathroom. Both of these rooms are on our main floor in very close proximity to our kitchen so we invite them to help themselves.
The items I have in the larger room ( bathroom) are towels, washcloths, a basket of shampoos, lotions, etc, hairdryer. I also have a similar set up in my hallbath which the smaller room would use. Sometimes we have guests in our basement as well, plus my daughter has friends stay in her room.
In the closets I have extra blankets and pillows and nice hangers
A luggage stand, I got it at a thrift shop. It's the old fashion folding wooden kind. I replaced the ribbons and it looks great. People always comment that it's so convenient.
Another thing I've added lately is small picture frames that have our wifi username and password for their convenience.
Both guest rooms have a tv, the larger also has two reclining chairs at the end of the bed so they have a sitting area. Our regular guests usually request this room in advance lol

Old 03-26-2015, 03:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
I didn't read all the replies but we have two guest rooms that are used pretty regularly. One has an en suite bathroom. Both of these rooms are on our main floor in very close proximity to our kitchen so we invite them to help themselves.
The items I have in the larger room ( bathroom) are towels, washcloths, a basket of shampoos, lotions, etc, hairdryer. I also have a similar set up in my hallbath which the smaller room would use. Sometimes we have guests in our basement as well, plus my daughter has friends stay in her room.
In the closets I have extra blankets and pillows and nice hangers
A luggage stand, I got it at a thrift shop. It's the old fashion folding wooden kind. I replaced the ribbons and it looks great. People always comment that it's so convenient.
Another thing I've added lately is small picture frames that have our wifi username and password for their convenience.
Both guest rooms have a tv, the larger also has two reclining chairs at the end of the bed so they have a sitting area. Our regular guests usually request this room in advance lol
I love that you have a luggage rack in a guest room. That is so convenient.

My one guest room is so small! But I wish I could provide this for my guests.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:35 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Now I'm on the prowl for a luggage rack at a thrift shop...

Old 03-26-2015, 08:23 PM

6,457 posts, read 6,639,419 times
My 4 guests arrive tomorrow, and I have implemented many of these ideas. I think they're going to be pretty darned happy with their accommodations!

I'm so glad you started this thread, kathyrn!

Maybe I'll pop back into this thread in a week to let you know how their visit goes, and what amenities (if any) they commented on.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
My 4 guests arrive tomorrow, and I have implemented many of these ideas. I think they're going to be pretty darned happy with their accommodations!

I'm so glad you started this thread, kathyrn!

Maybe I'll pop back into this thread in a week to let you know how their visit goes, and what amenities (if any) they commented on.
I would love to hear the feedback!

I just bought a blow dryer and a carafe for water for the second guest room - in case someone snores and they have to use both bedrooms!

The guest rooms are upstairs, so in the evening they may not feel comfortable going downstairs to the kitchen. We have a mini fridge - I'm thinking about moving it up there and putting a coffee maker up there as well along with a few snacks. I've got cleaning supplies, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, etc in the bathroom but I like the idea of having a basket of travel size items and I'll also throw a few new toothbrushes in there in the drawer too.

Extra pillows and blankets as well as an extension cord so they can easily charge things are all in place. Also a clock and two bedside tables and lamps, and a fan. Oh, and a TV.

Those bedrooms have GREAT beds so they should sleep well. Heck, when my husband snores I go up there sometimes myself so I know those beds and sheets feel great!

Old 03-26-2015, 10:48 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,733,896 times
A vintage traincase stocked with a nice assortment of travel size or trial size bath/beauty/health products. Actually, I've got 2 of these, a "his" and "hers". And I point them out to my guests and let them know to help themselves. And I replace stuff after it's been used, so guests always have clean/unopened stuff (when appropriate).

Contents include (all travel/trial size):

- a few toothpaste options, new toothbrush, dental floss
- assortment of facial and body soaps
- a few different shampoo/conditioner (usually I bring home the little bottles from nice hotels)
- mouthwash
- advil, tylenol, allergy meds, tums, pepto bismol, cough drops, other common OTC medications
- bandaids, neosporin
- nail clippers and nail file
- eye makeup remover
- a few deodorant options
- q tips, cotton balls
- shower cap
- body wash
- hairspray, hairgel, etc
- aloe vera
- saline nasal spray
- sun screen
- hand lotion
- nail polish remover
- baby powder
- contact lens solution, eye drops

Basically, I operate on the idea that nearly everyone forgets a toiletry or two when they travel, or they wind up with a headache/allergies/broken nail/etc and this makes it easy for them to find what they need without feeling awkward about pawing through my medicine cabinet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating