Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 12:36 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

We are having overnight guests tomorrow. I still have flowers in bloom, so tomorrow I will cut some for the bathroom and bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 11:03 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Hair dryer -- hadn't thought of that -- will add, since my friend had to borrow mine when she was here.

Things I do have:

A stack of small bathroom cups. Pet peeve: I stayed at a friend's and they had no cups in the bathroom, nor did they have a small glass I could use. I asked what they use to rinse after brushing and they said they don't. Am I the crazy one? Do most people not rinse???

Triple outlet with nightlight. Pet peeve: Staying in a guest room with no accessible outlets.

Collapsible clothes hamper. Nice to have somewhere for a guest to store dirty clothes.

Closet space and hangers! Pet peeve: Staying in someone's guest room where the closet is jam-packed with THEIR clothes and they have made no effort to make any room for you or provide extra hangers.

Portable wind machine for anyone who needs "white noise" to sleep (like myself).

Small flat-screen TV with remote. Some of my friends are night-owls...I can't let them watch TV in the living room as it disturbs the dogs, one of whom goes crazy if he sees an animal on TV.

Body-wash and new scrubby with tag still on it so they know it's not been used. Shampoo, conditioner, lotion. Medicine cabinet stocked with toothpaste, travel mouthwash, bandaids, ibuprofen, etc.

Full-length mirror.

Folding luggage rack from Bed/Bath.

I only have a 2-BR condo but it is such an ideal layout for guests -- totally on the opposite side from my room, so guests have their own little private "wing".

Old 01-05-2016, 10:08 AM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
...A stack of small bathroom cups. Pet peeve: I stayed at a friend's and they had no cups in the bathroom, nor did they have a small glass I could use. I asked what they use to rinse after brushing and they said they don't. Am I the crazy one? Do most people not rinse???...
I don't rinse my mouth out after brushing my teeth. Rinsing rinses away the fluoride in the toothpaste which helps with cavity prevention.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:35 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
You might want to check how dark the room gets at night . At my last house , I had a lovely guest room that doubled as my sewing room. Anyway - we had nice sheers and drapes hung, I would sleep in there from time time due to husbands snoring. About a month before my visitors were coming, the neighbor moved out and put their home on the market. Before they left - they really upped the wattage and the sensitivity on the security lights and adjustedthem to cover more of their back and side yards. Which meant , every little thing set them off and they shone right into he guest room

Old 01-10-2016, 11:26 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
You might want to check how dark the room gets at night . At my last house , I had a lovely guest room that doubled as my sewing room. Anyway - we had nice sheers and drapes hung, I would sleep in there from time time due to husbands snoring. About a month before my visitors were coming, the neighbor moved out and put their home on the market. Before they left - they really upped the wattage and the sensitivity on the security lights and adjustedthem to cover more of their back and side yards. Which meant , every little thing set them off and they shone right into he guest room
I'm a bit conflicted about the same thing. We have friends coming in a few weeks, and I know she likes a dark room. I only have sheers on the windows right now, and the house behind us is for sale, and they keep the lights on 24/7. Truthfully, this friend is not happy unless she has something to ***** about, so if it wasn't that it'd be something else. I think I'll just give her the option of moving to another room if she complains.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:38 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm a bit conflicted about the same thing. We have friends coming in a few weeks, and I know she likes a dark room. I only have sheers on the windows right now, and the house behind us is for sale, and they keep the lights on 24/7. Truthfully, this friend is not happy unless she has something to ***** about, so if it wasn't that it'd be something else. I think I'll just give her the option of moving to another room if she complains.
Go buy a cheap eye sleep mask.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:25 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We have some guests coming from Europe to spend a few days with us. We have what I think is a comfortable guest room, but I wanted to pick your brains and see what suggestions you have for making their room and bathroom (and stay) as comfortable as possible.

We have plans for entertainment and meals, so I'm looking for your best ideas regarding what you keep on hand in the guest area of your home, and what items you consider important for comfort.
I think the main thing is towels and soap for the bathroom. Also, extra blankets.

If you want to go above and beyond, I would add shampoo/conditioner, toothpaste, and toothbrushes. I also keep an extra hairdyer in my guest bathroom.

I've heard a nice touch is a food basket with snacks, so they don't have to always wait for you to cook in order to eat, although I've never tried that. I guess you'd have to know what they like to eat.

For me, the ultimate, and not something that even I have in my own guestroom, would be a coffee station. One thing I don't like about staying at someone's house is I can't have my coffee first thing, which is kind of my reason for getting up in the morning. But that's way over the top.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I think the main thing is towels and soap for the bathroom. Also, extra blankets.

If you want to go above and beyond, I would add shampoo/conditioner, toothpaste, and toothbrushes. I also keep an extra hairdyer in my guest bathroom.

I've heard a nice touch is a food basket with snacks, so they don't have to always wait for you to cook in order to eat, although I've never tried that. I guess you'd have to know what they like to eat.

For me, the ultimate, and not something that even I have in my own guestroom, would be a coffee station. One thing I don't like about staying at someone's house is I can't have my coffee first thing, which is kind of my reason for getting up in the morning. But that's way over the top.
LOL thanks for the suggestions - and we DID end up putting a small fridge and a coffee station and a basket of snacks in the big walk in closet. And they used it! We have frequent guests who spend the night so those have been used repeatedly now.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:12 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
We often have unrelated guests staying at the same time for different reasons. So we have two guest rooms and they have to share the bathroom. I have a couple of bottles of water and a little basket of packaged granola bars, candy bars and cookies in each guest room. Midnight snackers or if they want to grab them before going out for the day or waiting for a meal. I also have some guide books about the area so they can let me know what they might be interested in seeing/doing if they're staying for a few days or longer. I have fans in each for those who like white noise or more ventilation. Extra blankets and pillows~a towel rack on the back of each bedroom door so they don't mix up and accidentally use each others in the shared bathroom. There is a clock on each nightstand, along with a flashlight and coaster.

In the guest bathroom, I turn on a nightlight so they can find their way to the bathroom at night. Disposable paper cups (for rinsing and taking medications). I have a glass jar of cotton balls, make up remover pads and Q-tips. A basket full of hotel soaps, shampoos, conditioners, toothpaste, lotions, some extra toothbrushes from the dollar store, room freshener spray, plenty of toilet paper and a hair dryer. Both have plenty of closet space and a foldout luggage rack.

We program the coffee pot at night and I set out cups so that the early risers can at least get their coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating