Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 02:44 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times

Advertisements

Remember that line?

Well, it doesn't apply to me!

When I was younger, starting out, making a young officer's pay, I thought I would buy one major piece of furniture a month. Fortunately, that never came about. A thing that helps my thriftiness, perhaps combats a compulsiveness is that I'M LAZY!

Those pieces I did pick up early on were folding chairs, high director chairs, and side tables from Pier 1, a folding big table, phone tables from either the "quick" appliance stores of the time or office furniture outlets or mail order, and a wonderful queen size bed where the frame was just some boards that connected well together.

When I got off sea duty, the parents gave me a butler's table
http://www.scullyandscully.com/image...t/63354_LG.jpg
and a field desk (essentially like this:
http://fshenemaderantiques.com/wp-co...k-2234-051.jpg ), probably from the Bombay Company and an old family leather chair (which now, ghost long given up, has gone to Goodwill). That, along with the nut and bolt steel shelves and a half file cabinet, it made for a decent apartment.

So, cut to the chase, fast forward a few decades and now inherited from a few, I have two more desks (Dad's big wooded desk and a grand aunt's secretary desk
http://www.jameskrollfinewoodworking.com/images/Furniture/LgFurniturePics/1a_secretary_desk.jpg )
(I could easily have a wooden desk compulsion if I wasn't so lazy), a standing desk, a craft table/desk, three curio cabinets, one wicker curio stand, 5 oriental floor screens, an additional bedside table, a small rattan sofa, a larger sleep sofa, my bed, a dresser, a camphor chest, a small folding side dining table, a cabinet for dining linens, another coffee table, a rattan rolling bar, three executive desk chairs, three half, two tall (one of them King size)(and one rolling hanging that is being used for tee storage) file cabinets, and an entertainment table......at least.

When you have to move it, one occasional might have the question, "Do I have too much furniture?".

Now, some things along the line, I'm "chucking". There were a number of put together TV stands the family had when Dad went into the nursing home. One was destroyed (weight) by a fish tank so it went into the dumpster today, the second is whole and destined for GW (along with my steel bike, another gone the ghost executive chair, tower desktops, old monitors, scanners, & a box TV, at least). As the phrase goes, a lot of it is surplus to needs (if it works). But it also falls into another category in that it's not......

"You have a lot of nice things.".

"Cats are Angels with fur" and my cats may be helping me make decisions down the line because......they have certainly done their paw work on the sleeper sofa. So down the line or in doing house plans, maybe. Equally, as my shredder has been getting a lot of use, (asked and got clearance to dump boxes of family files) I may be able to reduce, eventually the number of file cabinets...or, at least not pick up any more.

Things that are already moved have the benefit of not weighing on the current conscience. It is when they are still waiting to be moved that they come up on consideration, especially if they are not in the "nice things" category.

I have an Emerson box TV, have had since 1987 and it still works, probably the same as it worked 28 years ago. With two flat screens and a moved Sanyo box almost 20 years it's junior, though, it may be time to let it go (with the older box TV inherited from grand aunt which is destined for GW). Reduce the number of TV stations although as TV stations are reduced, the DVR/VHS units associated with them increase around those left. By practice, I'm not really a minimalist but there can be such inputs to calculations. That is, if there needs to be a TV in the bedroom, my night shift lifestyle has seen that TV really not used for anything but a processing station for the past few years, then it can be done smaller but better, if eventually.

Pity because 28 years ago or so, that was one of the "small fantasies" of how I pictured life might be, watching the late show in bed before going to sleep. Being a grave yard worker, however, really shakes up how one watches TV. This gets back to one's concept of furniture.

How do we, how did we picture our lives, what did we want our surroundings to be and is that vision similar now or even agreeable?

Most of the furniture already moved and that which remains have probably got their meal tickets for now. But this move has made me wonder about things, both from the time and effort it takes to move it around and how much time I have left overall to whether it is really worth it to keep around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 06:56 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Remember that line?

But this move has made me wonder about things, both from the time and effort it takes to move it around and how much time I have left overall to whether it is really worth it to keep around.

I have moved a few times myself and in the early 80's an old friend (military family, by the way) gave me two pieces of advice. that I give to all my retiring friends now who are going through the same things you are questioning. The monetary amount may need to be adjusted for today's world

You are packing to self move and every piece of furniture, box, etc. will cost you $5 to put on a truck and $5 to take off the truck, and they will need to be carried up a flight of stairs.

Keep this in mind, and making the keep, discard and donate, decisions becomes crystal clear.

The second piece is, don't move a piece of furniture that will make you design a room around it.

This advice was of enormous help to me, when I was left a grandfathers clock by someone, (I guess I admired it when she bought it) just as we were buying a house. I found myself trying to envision where it would go in the house and I was simply not happy with it no matter where I would put it.

The monetary part makes you think less about the sentimentality.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:21 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
The house I am moving into has an upstairs lounge area and a downstairs living room with wooden floors. I was thinking of making the latter into my dance room but that has become the room for most of my furniture, simply for the point that what gets moved upstairs had to come back down in less than a year. The lounge I am making into my command center with a flat TV, most of the coversion units, tapes, CD/DVD, LP's, computer, and the like (the other flat TV downstairs with most of the just play units).

"Don't design a room around a piece of furniture"......sort of like that but then again......I didn't build this house, but I am trying to design a ranch house to live in. We, as people, may design rooms around concepts and houses around rooms, but in deciding those concepts, we do think, at least, about what furniture will be put in that concept/room.

Of course, an approach to this would be to by no more furniture for the design.......but we are impressionable people, seeing things in books and on TV and wondering of what if we could. Right now, though, the only think I dream about is a more romantic bed.......for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating