Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,942 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! I am new here. A little bit of background information. The hubby and I bought our house in 2013, 5 months before our son was born. We own a business that I run and my husband works outside of the home. We noticed the walls warping in the bathroom and had a contractor friend take a look. He said it was molding and that we would have to rip out everything including subfloor and walls. Turns out we had to remove studs as well.
Anyway, I have a before picture attached and a current picture.

We are putting in a ivory American Standard deep soak tub that will also be a shower. We will be doing a cream, tan tile surround. Now in the middle of the external wall there is a window that we also have to replace. We ordered a vinyl, tempered, obscure window. We are keeping the vanity as we were able to remove it without damage. We are also keeping the current toilet which is also an ivory color. The floor is going to be the style selections faux wood from lowes in natural timber cinnamon.

My question for everybody here is, what do you think about painting the vanity? not the top just the sides. As you can see it is a late 70's brown. I have heard the chalk paint works great for such things. I can't afford a new vanity. IF I do paint it what color? I was thinking a very barely there teal for the walls. I am thinking a rustic nautical theme. In the first picture you can see my brown dolphin lamp and them my rustic fish metal wall hanging across from there. What other ideas thoughts do you have? With the shape of the room, we were not able to rearrange anything. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Redoing bathroom - old owners hid mold problem - suggestions to my ideas-bathroom-after-mold-killing-paint.jpg   Redoing bathroom - old owners hid mold problem - suggestions to my ideas-bathroom-pre-construction.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 08:44 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,061,221 times
I think dark wood looks fine and not outdated. Can't see the front of the cabinets but if they are paneled and have scrolled and other details like that, that is usually what will look more dated than the color. If they are relatively plain, leave the color and switch out the hardware for a more updated look.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:54 AM

17,427 posts, read 65,649,788 times
Color, color, color. Personal choice- do what YOU like.

My main concern would be the window in the tub/shower area- THAT'S JUST A BIG NO!!!!
I would eliminate that window in a heartbeat! If you absolutely HAVE TO HAVE a window consider a transom window as high as possible.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the CAUSE OF the mold!

Old 04-28-2015, 01:15 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,019,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Color, color, color. Personal choice- do what YOU like.

My main concern would be the window in the tub/shower area- THAT'S JUST A BIG NO!!!!
I would eliminate that window in a heartbeat! If you absolutely HAVE TO HAVE a window consider a transom window as high as possible.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the CAUSE OF the mold!
I don't see a ventilation fan either...

Old 04-28-2015, 01:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,973,040 times
Yes, paint. There are many choices now, but for a bath I'd think about a satin finish enamel. If you want a more stylish look, then do investigate milk paint and chalk paint. You can also do some distressing of the wood, or use a glaze, or use two colors and sand the top one down. There are a million ways to do this.

Check with your local paint store for guidance with the enamel. If you go in this direction, the sky is the limit with color. I'd use a color that makes you happy when you see it, and then repeat the color in a small way elsewhere in the room. What color do you love?

If you want to go with milk paint or chalk paint here are two possibilities:
About Chalk Paint® | Annie Sloan

https://generalfinishes.com/retail-p...-paints-glazes

You can also make chalk paint by combining flat latex paint with plaster of paris:
DIY Chalk Finish Paint

Years ago I painted an entire old bedroom set with paint mixed for me at my local paint store. They also mixed a primer, and I used a coat of that first. I applied it with foam roller and brush. The furniture turned out really well. Later I painted two nightstands using paint from the same local paint dealer. The nightstands are still in use, and I have been happy with how the paint looks.

I say go for it!

Old 04-28-2015, 05:52 PM

9,346 posts, read 13,958,020 times
Why does a window in the shower/over the tub cause mold? Is it because it lacks insulation and condensation collects there? Maybe depending on the climate of the area? And how would a transom be better?

Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Why does a window in the shower/over the tub cause mold? Is it because it lacks insulation and condensation collects there? Maybe depending on the climate of the area? And how would a transom be better?
That, and if the frame isn't sealed the spray and condensation will drip into the wall cavity. Bat insulation will absorb the moisture and turn into a mold farm.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,942 times
Thank you all for your replies! I had thought about leaving the vanity dark, but if I want to paint it, this is my opportunity to do it while it is all part and out of the bathroom. It does not have any scroll work but new hardware would certainly go a long way.

As for the window issue. Part of the reason we have to keep it is to stay up to code. The old vent is above the toilet and it just empties into our attic. We will probably make a new vent but we have to wait for our contractor friend to do that. We are a little nervous about messing up the roofing line. The other part of it is, we can't match the siding of the house and the room would be very dark without that added light and ventilation. The 2nd part is more of hubby's decision.

The old window had a wooden frame which is definitely a big no-no. We are replacing it with an all vinyl, obscure, low -e, tempered glass double hung window. We have to make sure it is sealed correctly and waterproofed. If you were to look at the moldy picture, you would notice thought that the problem did not start with window. in fact the mold was just working its way up there. It was rather a problem of how they sealed around the tub, had no hardibacker on the wall ( yes, they used drywall) and used something that was marketed as being waterproof but wasn't. According to the couple of contractors we had look at it after we removed the walls, the problem started 20 years ago or so. We were told that the bathroom was recently mostly remodeled when we looked at the house. hmm I think to cover up this problem.

Thank you Silibran for all of the helpful painting tips. I had heard of the chalk paint but I had never heard of the milk paints before. THank you very much. I also had no idea you could make your own chalk paint. That is very, very helpful. My favorite color falls within that teal aquamarine category. I was thinking of doing my walls in a pale teal to of set the darker floor. I was either going to leave the cabinet dark or do an ivory ish color with dark accents? What do you guys think? I will try to attach the picture of the floor tile.

Thank you again everyone. Any tips and tricks would be truly helpful.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevscms8208 View Post
The old vent is above the toilet and it just empties into our attic.

With that much mold in the bathroom, was the attic not damaged as well?

Old 04-29-2015, 09:11 AM

928 posts, read 3,433,064 times
If you paint the vanity, I recommend considering acrylic. I've not played with chalk paint, but it seems to be less durable than a good acrylic coat of paint made specifically for cabinets. Does anyone here have experience with chalk paint in high humidity spaces? I know I've painted with insl-x cabinet coat before and I believe it would hold up well in the bath. Ask at the paint store what cabinet refacers are using.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating