Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 06:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,180 times

Advertisements

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone here knows what is to be put in a portfolio to send to colleges upon pursuing a degree in Interior Design... I have looked at the websites of the colleges themselves and say things that would only regard normal art and not Interior Design specifically, is that how it usually goes, or do you have to send in sketches of rooms and whatnot? Any and all information is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 06:55 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemaraccini View Post
I have looked at the websites of the colleges themselves and say things that would only regard normal art and not Interior Design specifically, is that how it usually goes, or do you have to send in sketches of rooms and whatnot?
Seems like the colleges are telling you what they want!

Old 05-25-2015, 08:57 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Since you are still in high school have you taken any art courses? I would suggest taking an art course
(see link from one school) especially drawing during your senior year.

Portfolio Requirements | Department of Architecture & Interior Design | Miami University School of Fine Arts

Old 05-28-2015, 07:55 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemaraccini View Post
...what is to be put in a portfolio to send to colleges upon pursuing a degree in Interior Design...

That's going to depend on the school- most will usually have certain requests. If you have questions about a certain request(s) and don't understand- ASK FOR CLARIFICATION. Get a phone number or email address of admissions, or career advisor.

If there are no specific guidelines or requests, don't pin yourself on what YOU THINK is your best work- give a little bit of everything.

(Scenario) I'm hiring you and I want to see your portfolio. I like to see transition- where you were; where you're going, see the improvement. Not just from a style or detail perspective, but be able to visualize a blank canvas to finished project. Is there significant progression in your work?

I do something very similar as I interview/hire perspective subcontractors. I want to see what THEY considered their worse work, their best work, in what time frames, along with client comments. All of these "things" weigh heavily on the decision-making process.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:07 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
When presenting a portfolio for the visual arts I would suggest talking to an a good art teacher who not
only teaches but exhibits their work. A visual arts portfolio should present your best work as well
as a variety of mediums (drawing, painting, digital, photography, sculpture, etc...). I've had
several students who's admission to the Fine Arts dept. depended on their portfolio presentation.

Check this link for Visual Arts
Portfolio guidelines and tips | SCAD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating