Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 06:22 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
If you watch HGTV, everybody seems to want crazy bright interior colors with lots of shiny bling. A close familyfriend, with more money to play with than I do, recently did a major remodel to their home and they now have a fuschia exterior door, quite a bit of etched glass on the interior, crazy angular slanted shelves for their knickknacks, and so on. I know fashions come and go, but I can't imagine wanting to live in a house like that. I want my home to create a calming and peaceful feeling. I don't want to live in a Vegas hotel Anybody else feel this way or am I cranky and off my rocker?
I think it depends on where. In a LR, DR, or MBR, I am anti-shiny anything. And a fuschia door would be a big giant NO. In a playroom or child's bedroom, I am ok with bright and the walls need to be washable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 06:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I love color in most rooms. The exception is my master bedroom, which I prefer to be muted and serene.

I've always loved rich, deep colors. I can admire a neutral decorating scheme, but I couldn't live with it personally.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:15 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 06:42 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
I cannot stand all of that nonsense or a "statement" wall and we are currently looking at homes to purchase.
I won't even look at any home that has a ton of colors on the walls because I refuse to pay a lot of money for a home just to spend a lot more money on a home to cover up all of the different colors on the walls.

I prefer neutral tones and add color with accessories like pillows, throws, curtains, etc.
Easy to take down or move from room to room with much less cost.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:18 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I cannot stand all of that nonsense or a "statement" wall and we are currently looking at homes to purchase.
I won't even look at any home that has a ton of colors on the walls because I refuse to pay a lot of money for a home just to spend a lot more money on a home to cover up all of the different colors on the walls.

I prefer neutral tones and add color with accessories like pillows, throws, curtains, etc.
Painting walls doesn't cost a ton of money unless you pay someone else to do it for you. What if the wall color is a neutral, but it's an ugly shade you don't really like? If a house was perfect for your needs in every other way, would you really turn it down because of a wall color?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:54 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ha Ha. I am still mulling it over. I want to go more southern/beachy and less stodgy comfort zone.
My vertigo would flip out!!! "Ack, ack!", as Bill would say. I'd fall down every time I walked into the room.

But if you like it go for it. Absolutely.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:53 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I'm not sure I'd characterize is as "bright shiny colors and lots of bling" but I would agree that HGTV is getting away from the gray walls, dark floors, white trim, etc. look. Mostly because in order to keep people looking, they need something that looks *different* - they are getting to the point where even the before houses may look too much like the afters, so now the afters have to look like something else.

Personally, I like saturated colors, but not necessarily bright and garish. And I'm not that keen on wall paper in general, let alone the strong patterns they are using. So I'll still watch HGTV, but I feel like I'll be less likely to see things that I might want to try in my own home.

At least for now, anyway. The pendulum will swing back the other way at some point.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:

I'm with ozgal on this. It is best to find the house with the "bones" you love, that you can afford, and that will serve you well. Painting is fairly easy, and if you want to be a homeowner, you will probably paint at some point any way. Surely you don't want others' choices for your very own home? If that is the case, then painting is a small price to pay for having that. I'd rather have a modern kitchen and baths, the right floorplan, and a good yard than the right paint colors, quite honestly. Because you can change paint colors a lot more easily than you can change your kitchen.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:18 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:

Well, I don't think I would totally rule out a home with brightly colored walls, but I get what you're saying. I looked at a townhouse in 2001 that was painted peach in the main living areas, including a two-story family room (ughhh, peach went out in the '80s). The bedrooms were all painted vivid colors like Pepto-Bismol pink, seafoam green, etc. I ended up picking what I called "the peach house" in lieu of anything better, but I had to pay a lot of money to a painter to re-do the whole place in neutral taupe. And then I had to get rid of all the paint cans the owners had so generously left in the basement.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Painting walls doesn't cost a ton of money unless you pay someone else to do it for you. What if the wall color is a neutral, but it's an ugly shade you don't really like? If a house was perfect for your needs in every other way, would you really turn it down because of a wall color?

Yes.

So I have decided to quit looking at homes and have started looking for property so we can build what we want, the size we want, and everything the way we want it from the start.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Well, I don't think I would totally rule out a home with brightly colored walls, but I get what you're saying. I looked at a townhouse in 2001 that was painted peach in the main living areas, including a two-story family room (ughhh, peach went out in the '80s). The bedrooms were all painted vivid colors like Pepto-Bismol pink, seafoam green, etc. I ended up picking what I called "the peach house" in lieu of anything better, but I had to pay a lot of money to a painter to re-do the whole place in neutral taupe. And then I had to get rid of all the paint cans the owners had so generously left in the basement.
I have no idea what year things went "out of style" I don't care because I do not follow trends I like what I like which is neutral and accessories such as throws, curtains, pillows to add color if/when I want it.
Easy to change, cost effective and I can make each room look entirely different just by moving things from one room to the next and putting different linens on the beds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating