U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:39 AM

7 posts, read 6,372 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody, we are at the last step of buying a new-to-us home, and we are trying to decide what things we will do before we move in, like painting, flooring, etc.

The lower half of the living room walls are made of solid wood, not wood paneling. I have to admit, my wife and I are not huge fans of having SO much wood in the living room. We are thinking of painting it, but would that be a huge mistake? We would probably go with something lighter to brighten it up a bit, maybe not exactly white though.

Any ideas or suggestions on what to do with this room? We'll surely paint the top half as well, not sure what color there either. HELP!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 12:00 PM

28,430 posts, read 70,790,682 times
GOOD GRIEF! ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!

When I saw the title I thought maybe some poor SOB bought a house that has junky "big box" laminated paneling or maybe even the kind of panelling that was popular in the 60s-70s and if it was in the "rec room" paint might brighten things up but THIS LOOKS LIKE CUSTOM HARDWOOD PANELS! Do you know how costly that is? If you did not like it MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT ANOTHER HOME!!

The room is NOT lacking in light WHATSOEVER and while I would suggest a more appropriate color for the upper portion it would be NUTS to paint the HARDWOOD! Heck, I'd paint the BRICK before I did anything with paneled part of the room!

Get the cheesy little TV off the fireplace mantel, find some furniture that actually FITS THE ROOM, appropriate window treatments, new lighting and KEEP THE PAINTBRUSHES away...

Old 06-18-2015, 12:10 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,490,715 times
NEVER paint that wood!

And a room with 12 windows does not need brightened up...

Old 06-18-2015, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 6,372 times
Thanks for the thoughts, guy... I definitely can't argue with any of it. I guess it is just so different from what we have had in the past that we don't know how to make it look nice and where to put things.

The TV and furniture (basically everything in the pics) no longer exist in the home as they were the seller's stuff.

So, I'm on board with leaving the wood alone. Can you guys give some advice on a good color for the upper half? And where should we put the TV if not on the mantle? Should we not go with a sectional couch like in the photos?

We are seriously clueless (obviously? ), so I appreciate any and all insight!

Old 06-18-2015, 12:51 PM

14 posts, read 20,499 times
Default Um, No

What is the style of the house? It is difficult to tell from that one interior picture.

In some styles of American house it is acceptable, and was historical practice, to paint all wood. It is more formal. Colonial homes often painted all the wood, and not because the wood was inferior. It was the style. More French influenced parts of the USA tend to paint all the wood, or at least all trim elements including mantels. In Victorians or other 19th century styles with carved paneling, Craftsmen or Prarie style homes, painting the wood is an architectural and criminal faux pas. It always makes the home look worse.

That said, wood paneling like that is usually not painted, and it will look extremely formal when painted. It won't improve the appearance, but it will make it less "relentlessly cozy". I think the salmon color against the wood is atrocious and depressing. The ceiling to to high for it's own good, it gives it the appearance of a barn. I think this is a very poorly designed room here, what, with the upper "window" breaking the trim, the windows on the upper wall to low for a mezzanine (which is what it needs), and the bizarre tiny frieze between the crown molding and picture rail. The wood is the only thing this weird room has going for it.

I'd paint the upper walls some rich but light color that complimented the wood. NOT orange or brown or red. Green or blue, cool colors. Secondly, it needs wall hangings, badly.

I can't tell what style of house that is from the pictures; it looks very modern to me.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:18 PM

28,430 posts, read 70,790,682 times
Hard to tell if the room is completely symmetric, are there any French door to the left of the fireplace? If so you don't want to block them. If not, it might make sense to set up two sofas facing each other. Hard to say exactly how big the room is. Appears to have built in bar. The bar might be best place for a TV to be mounted on wall, so that folks sitting at bar could enjoy it, and high enough so that a "pub height" table about where the upright piano is would still afford good views. Of course if you have little kids that is not ideal arrangement for them...

There are probably other options that work too, but I sorta really hate how the sectional was plopped down with little though about actually having view or circulation in the room, my fear is any sectionals (well, maybe a custom one...) in this room would result in similar issues. Room seems much longer than wide and I can sorta understand why previous owners might have had upright piano in there, but again placed awkwardly in regard to windows -- need to consider the room as having distinct "sub areas" and frankly some designers have all kinds of gridded out planing tools to help with that. Basically you can even use the various architectural software packages to drag around various furnishing ONCE you have accurate room measurements / window locations as input.

Color is always tricky on the internet. If there is some red tone in wood I can image that is what previous owners were trying to pick up on with rose / salmon paint but to my eye / my monitor there is more to recommend paint in the tan / sand / toast / mushroom brownish gray range... Got to be very careful about how "saturated" you go in a room with height as you don't want so much contrast as to feel like you are in a "pit" or cave. Any chance there are some accent lights built in? If not, I might think about that, especially as LED type lights are now much more affordable and really could do wonders to highlight the room at night... This is a kitchen but I think you can imagine how this might work in the room pictured -- Kitchen LED Lighting | Inspired LED - Traditional - Kitchen - phoenix - by Inspired LED

Here is another really dramatically uplit room, it shares some features with the room here, and also highlight what I said about symmetry around the fireplace, also note how much more dramatic it is to have stone around the fireplace than brick (and I really like how the central portion over the fireplace is a different stone that the stone along the sides) that is probably costly but might be something you could pull off with tile and stone for a more reasonable expenditure -- Aspen Foyer - Contemporary - Entry - denver - by 186 Lighting Design Group - Gregg Mackell I think this is tile that is actually designed as "planks" for floor -- Okanagan Danchuk Residence - Modern - Living Room - other metro - by Sunterra Custom Homes

Last edited by chet everett; 06-18-2015 at 01:56 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 01:30 PM

4,723 posts, read 3,158,062 times
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Paint the upper part white. The contrast between the white & the wood would look great. And then add wall hangings-art work, photos, etc.

Cat

Old 06-18-2015, 01:30 PM

6,189 posts, read 4,968,594 times
No!!

Old 06-18-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Paint the upper part white. The contrast between the white & the wood would look great. And then add wall hangings-art work, photos, etc.

Cat
Or a color from the brick? Get rid of the blinds - different color. That whole look there is not good.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Or a color from the brick? Get rid of the blinds - different color. That whole look there is not good.
One of the lighter colors in the brick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating