U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:38 AM

48 posts, read 167,930 times
Unhappy How much does it cost to remove wallpaper?

It's time to sell my house. The previous/original owner LOVED wallpaper. I do not. My husband and I removed it from several rooms, but six rooms still have it. It was professionally adhered and we have an estimate of $12000 to remove it, repair as necessary, and repaint. I think that seems high. Am I right? What is reasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 06:43 AM

652 posts, read 1,749,135 times
it depends on the area you are in. I would get several estimates. Some people wont give an estimate for the painting though, until they know the condition of the wall. If there ends up being a lot of wall problems your 12k might end up being reasonable. If your lucky and there are no problems you should have plenty of money left over.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:06 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,739,523 times
I've been doing rehabs for close to 30 years now, and I learned long ago that the best way is to NOT remove wallpaper. Paint it with an oil based primer (water based could loosen the glue), then LIGHTLY fill any joints and voids with joint compound. Finish/texture as necessary and then paint.

golfgod

Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 AM

2,238 posts, read 6,288,253 times
I feel for you, S_T...I hate hate hate wallpaper and it's such a pain to remove. I would go with what golfgod says and see if you can just get it professionally covered.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:22 AM

15,820 posts, read 30,195,002 times
That price is insane unless your house is 25,000 s.f. and needs to be entirely skim coated.

Get some DIF and a garden sprayer. Mix the DIF with HOT water and spray it. Wait an hour spray again. Te wallpaper will fall off by itself. If it does not, then you will need to use a paper tiger (from the paint store) get a large one. Use is gently o you do not poke holes in the wall underneath.

Once you are done, spackle any holes or cracks, sand, prime, go over the wall with a bright light held really close to the surface and mar any remaining blemishes. Spackle those and spot prime, sand lightly and you are ready to go.

It is really not very hard at all. You can do a little bit at a time, or get ambitious and do a whole room in a weekend. Once you get going, you can spackle one room while the DIF is soaking in in another room.

If you want to spend money. Spend it on a painter to do the final conditioning, prime and paint. There really is a trick to painting and a professional can do a much better job than you can.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:28 AM

383 posts, read 817,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I've been doing rehabs for close to 30 years now, and I learned long ago that the best way is to NOT remove wallpaper. Paint it with an oil based primer (water based could loosen the glue), then LIGHTLY fill any joints and voids with joint compound. Finish/texture as necessary and then paint.

golfgod
Absolutely Amen. Wallpaper is terrible to remove. Those products that state they actually work to remove wallpaper, well, my experience doesn't back that up. Maybe border wallpaper, but that's it.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:49 AM

10 posts, read 45,511 times
If it's a bedroom or two, just leave it wallpapered, depending on the paper, in old houses, i like wallpapered bedrooms.
I wallpapered the bathroom a Victorian flower, love it!
But that's the only room my DH would allow me to do. lol

Old 01-24-2008, 02:32 PM

2,689 posts, read 4,343,988 times
You can also look into renting a steamer. That's what we did. Cost us $20 for a weeks rental. Scored it and steamed it and it fell right off. You can burn yourself pretty easy with the steamer though, so be careful.

My folks had wallpaper in a room that was put on directly on top of the drywall (no coat between the two) and that was such a pain, they ended up having to install 5' high wainscott and then re-texturing the remainder of the walls, up to the ceiling. It turned out very nice though. But, for 6 rooms, that really doesn't seem an afordable option for you.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:07 PM

15,820 posts, read 30,195,002 times
I have stripped thousands of square feet of wallpaper, much of it multiple layers covered with paint. It is not hard at all. I think it is kind of fun sometimes. I have tried about every product out there. I liked the steamer for unpainted wallpaper, but it is a pain to get out, set up and clean up. With DIF you can set up in minutes, and be off doing something else while it soaks in in less than half an hour. You should probably protect your floors with tarps, but I spilled a lot of DIF on hardwood and never had any marks as long as I wiped it up right away. No guarantees that you will not have a problem though. Probably better not to risk it. In some cases, if you are going to remove old carpeting, just spray away. The carpeting can be a drop cloth for you.

DIF spraying is faster and required less labor on your part than steaming because a garden sprayer can soak a wall in minutes. If you have to use the paper tiger, then it is about the same amount of work as steaming.

You will not mark up the wall with a putty knife because you hardly need one. You will mar it up with the paper tiger if you are not careful, but those dings fill in with a couple of coats of a dense primer.

DIF worked every time on every kind of wallpaper. The two caveats are that you must use a paper tiger if your wallpaper is painted or water resistant. You also must use hot water and spray twice or more at least half an hour apart. I guess that is three.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:16 PM

33,962 posts, read 10,855,166 times
this tip was on the maine forum:

"A lady bought a store with an apartment above. I stopped in to see if she had any questions and she was stripping wall paper. She reached up and slowly peeled off an entire sheet of wall paper in one piece. I asked how she did that. She and her two friends looked at me like I was toally ignorant and said in unison, "Downy."

Huh?

They said, "How can you not know this? You put a cup of Downy fabric softener and three cups of hot water in a bowl and just sponge it on the wall. Wait 15 minutes and do it again. Wait 15 minutes and the wall paper will peel right off. Jeesh; Sometimes you men don't know anything."

I was outnumbered and beat a hasty retreat, but I didn't forget that lesson."

I havent tried it, just read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating