Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:59 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,385 times

Advertisements

Ok, so this is very last minute, I'm supposed to be at the house painting now, but have been playing around all day instead of doing what I shoud be, (yeah, bad ole me) Here's the thing, I just finished the tile job on this bathroom and now have to paint the molding (crown and base) a color. The tile is slate with a bit of blue/green glass tile and the walls are a blue/green/gray color. He says he wants black trim (he's chosen a black vanity). Is this going to be a really bad mistake?

PS: PLEASE, I'm begging you ignore the mess!
Attached Thumbnails
Paint trim color-stupid-lights-039-large-.jpg   Paint trim color-stupid-lights-044-large-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 11:07 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
I really dislike black trim so would say, yes that would be a mistake. Plus it is really hard cover black or another dark color with a lighter color later when you get sick of it. I would paint the trim to match the wall or the lightest tile color or just bright white. Dark bathrooms are awful. That is where you need to see what you are doing, after all.

Very nice tile job!

Old 01-12-2008, 11:16 AM

Thanks Tesaje! Sigh, this is his bathroom and I've tried to talk him into the wall color and he doesn't want white. What's a girl to do!?! Maybe that's why I've been playing around all day; I just think I'm making a huge mistake. He want's a dark, gloomy, and cavelike atmosphere. In all honesty just about every decision on the rebuilding has gone my way so I really want him to get what he wants, but black is really scaring me!

Old 01-12-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
or the lightest tile color
I think this might be the best answer. A charcoalish gray; it would kind of be in the range of the brushed nickel fixtures. I could live with that and not be too horified. Thanks a mil Tesaje!

Old 01-12-2008, 04:34 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,399 times
I've always liked white trim but I do agree with the poster above about picking the lightest color in the tile. I would stick with an earth tone for the walls. But I have to agree black might be too much especially if the vanity is going to be black.

Sit him down and and say "hunny, I am sorry but you are no longer a bachelor"

I do like the tiles though........Good Luck!

Old 01-12-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
I've always liked white trim but I do agree with the poster above about picking the lightest color in the tile. I would stick with an earth tone for the walls. But I have to agree black might be too much especially if the vanity is going to be black.

Sit him down and and say "hunny, I am sorry but you are no longer a bachelor"

I do like the tiles though........Good Luck!
LOL! You made me laugh on the, "no longer a bachelor!" We had a nice little talk about how I really don't like the black idea and would he at least entertain a nice medium grayish tone. Poor guy; he has a pout on (just don't tell him I said so), but said he would go with it. Poor thing there is not one decision that has absolutely gone his way. Hmm, now that I think of it, he made me repaint my bathroom from red to beige. Oh, back up, I'm no longer feeling so sorry for Hunny, one order of med. gray served with no pity!

Edit: Thanks for the help ya'll! As soon as this seemingly forever back spasm clears up and I'm able to climb the ladder again to install I'll post the pics.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:02 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
No black. I'd use a navajo white, which is an off white tan, but is very neutral. You may also use an off white gray. In other words, any shade of white which is picked up in the colors of the slate. Black woodwork would scream window! window!, just as bad as white woodwork would.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:24 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Ok, so this is very last minute, I'm supposed to be at the house painting now, but have been playing around all day instead of doing what I shoud be, (yeah, bad ole me) Here's the thing, I just finished the tile job on this bathroom and now have to paint the molding (crown and base) a color. The tile is slate with a bit of blue/green glass tile and the walls are a blue/green/gray color. He says he wants black trim (he's chosen a black vanity). Is this going to be a really bad mistake?

PS: PLEASE, I'm begging you ignore the mess!
For me black woodwork is okay in the right room. Like if youre going really dramatic and high contrast. I dont think thats the look you want from your post. But I may be mistaken. Im not a big fan of white woodwork. To me it goes with cool colors and I prefer warm colors. But thats just me. I also prefer real wood color woodwork. JMO but If it were me Id want to play up that gorgeous tile a lot more than you are. I dont like the wall color at all. Too cold. IMO doesnt go with with the warm earthy colors in your tile..

I think you can compromise with your husband on the cave. How about a MEDIUM not dark warm color picked from the tile. I think the walls need to play up the tile. Its such a feature. Otherwise it looks disconnected. If youre cautious a golden tan or a warm gray. If youre bold a warm teal or a terra cotta etc. Also Id like a cherry vanity or some other wood color to pick up the reds in the tile. and cherry woodwork If you have to paint it do a warm brown. Maybe with a glaze. If you have to keep the black vanity Id still do a dark woodwork but not black. Pick up the black vanity with some other black accessories.

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 01-14-2008 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Sorry didnt mean to crab on your paint choice. :D

Old 01-15-2008, 07:48 AM

99 posts, read 408,510 times
I know it may be too late as you said you were supposed to be painting already, but ITA with C_R. You have so many beautiful colors from which to choose in those tiles! Black trim with a black vanity would be too much - (btw, is the vanity black, or just the sink and/or counter?). In general, the color rule is 60/30/10. As your tile is a soft blend of many warm, earthen colors a sharp black should be the accent for the "pop" in the room. Use too much, and the color will overpower instead of highlight.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:30 PM

Oh you have a wonderful sense of color CR & K! We haven't purchased a vanity yet, Hubby selected a black one, but actually we'd perfer a cherry to match a wall cabinet we purchased. Our problem is that there is not enough time for him to go looking for vanities because of his job and extra details.

Actually the pic doesn't show the paint color well. If you went to the darkest color on the chip it is a tealish color, our accent color was going to be a terracotta (kinda scary how we are thinking of similar colors) I wanted terracotta on the walls, but Hubby wanted something lighter.

I selected a greenish gray color from Behr called squirrl. The reason for paint is because of the humildity in the bath I selected that yucky plastic molding. Sigh, we are so sick and tired of making all these picky decisions, that I knew I was getting ready to settle for anything. I'm so glad that somewhere in the back of my addled brain that I posted here and ya'll stopped me from a horrible decision! Now to find a cherry vanity... Thanks for saving my hall bath ya'll! (Look out because I still have 5 more rooms to go before we move back in)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating