Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,807 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a home and I want to remodel the kitchen. I want to paint the cabinets but the trim throughout the house is oak. Any suggestions on what color to paint cabinets that would compliment the wood trim?
Attached Thumbnails
Paint or replace oak cabinets with wood trim-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 07:17 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
What color do you like? You can find shade of whatever color you like to coordinate with the wood.

Personally, I think shaker cabinets look best in wood. It will be a shame to cover those up!

Old 09-28-2015, 07:28 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,954 times
A blue gray might look nice.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
What color do you like? You can find shade of whatever color you like to coordinate with the wood.

Personally, I think shaker cabinets look best in wood. It will be a shame to cover those up!
I agree - I like the cabinets in the current finish.

OP, you could consider painting the ISLAND only - and replacing the top of the island with something that's complimentary to the rest of the kitchen, but different. That might give you that little extra punch you're looking for.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:13 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
I thought the same thing even before I saw the other replies -- those cabinets look great as they are. I'm assuming they are real wood? They don't look dated, so it does seem like a crime to paint over them.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:13 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,922 times
I would paint them in a minute. I know how you feel, the honey oak is just not my style anymore. Even done nicely as yours are done. But I know what you mean about where to stop or to paint the entire moulding and baseboards around the home. It's a huge task. At least do the immediate kitchen. Of course I vote for gray, that's what I did to mine. But I like whites and creams too.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:36 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Are you planning to hire a pro to paint them, or paint them yourself?

Painting cabinets is a HUGE task, and you'll be cursing those glass doors with the mullions once you get to those, if they are not removable.

I agree that those are NOT the typical, apartment-grade, "dated" oak cabinets people usually think of, like these:

I also think your kitchen looks great like it is and that painting those cabinets is like looking for a problem that doesn't exist. Painting the walls a different color might solve your decor dissatisfaction.

If you REALLY cannot stand them, have them replaced with a type that you like.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:46 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
What other things are you doing as far as remodeling the kitchen besides painting the cabinets?

Old 09-29-2015, 07:55 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,260,775 times
I like your cabinets, too. I think the light grey would look nice. Have you checked out the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations colors for ideas? We painted our cabinets using that kit, what a pain the whole process is/was.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Your cab look nice. If you want them painted, have a pro do it. I think perhaps there is a thick water resistant finish on them that might be hard to remove. I like the idea of having a painted finish with the oak, or two colors of a painted finish. You can google painted kitchen cabinets using whatever color you want. You will get all sorts of images to look at.

I think oak cabs are boring after so many decades of popularity, but I do agree with others that yours are very pretty. If you paint, you could leave the oak trim around the top, especially if it looks like the rest of the trim in the house. Or you could paint it as well. Since you have neutral counters and backsplashes, I would consider a color not the same. Perhaps a blue, or gray. There are some interesting greens out there now. https://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=96477 Green Stained Kitchen Cabinets : Decorate the Kitchen in Green

Think long and hard before making a decision. But I do having the cabs painted would be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating