Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 11:08 AM

49,998 posts, read 63,313,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I buy original art from time to time, and I suppose it would be considered fine art. We live with it just fine. I don't understand your statement.

We buy from independent artists at locations we visit. You can find original art at all price points.
I didn't explain it very well, for sure. We too, have a lot of original art and buying it has supported the art community where we've lived, and given us years of enjoyment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 12:36 PM

4,265 posts, read 6,254,435 times
Whenever my husband and I travel on vacation, we always pick up at least ONE piece of art from that city, especially if we've never been there before. Our house is now filled with original art by local artists in every city we've been to. Each piece has a story and a memory, which I love.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Whenever my husband and I travel on vacation, we always pick up at least ONE piece of art from that city, especially if we've never been there before. Our house is now filled with original art by local artists in every city we've been to. Each piece has a story and a memory, which I love.
We have done that too. What is really cool, I think, was when I was a docent for 12 years at a contemporary art museum. Some of our field trips were to artist's workshops and galleries. Many times, we were able to buy a piece of their work during the visit. Also, once we were able to go to private sale of items that were de accessioned from the museum.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:42 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,067,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What I meant was, a lot of it is either too big, or too expensive to actually live with.
Uh.

So how expensive is too expensive?

We have some original pieces we think add to our daily life and decor very nicely.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Uh.

So how expensive is too expensive?

We have some original pieces we think add to our daily life and decor very nicely.
Like, a couple of million.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:37 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,067,741 times
Quote:
Like, a couple of million.
Well, I once had tea with a family who had a Picasso in the bathroom.

So I again disagree.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:50 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,183,742 times
Quote:
We have done that too. What is really cool, I think, was when I was a docent for 12 years at a contemporary art museum. Some of our field trips were to artist's workshops and galleries. Many times, we were able to buy a piece of their work during the visit. Also, once we were able to go to private sale of items that were de accessioned from the museum.
Out of curiosity, did you ask any of the artists at the museum, trips or galleries if they had pieces
to sell that would match your interior color scheme?

Old 10-01-2015, 03:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,931,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
As an artist myself this is exactly my sentiment. It can be tempting to match artwork to the room but one should love the art for itself. The frame and mat boards can usally be worked into a design scheme to make it more workable. But I view artwork as looking out the window into a new world. We can't make the outside fit our color scheme, it is just there and we frame it with our drapes.
Totally agree! But I admit I often do think about where I would put what it is I buy. But I've discovered that if I love it, I can probably find a place for it.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,931,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
What if you buy the couch to match (at least coordinate) with the art? I don't want things visually fighting with each other, so they do have to at least live in harmony.
I think you should please yourself. However, generally speaking, if you love the art and the couch, there must be a common denominator between the two that allows the two to have a relationship. And there are more factors besides color, by the way.

The easiest way to go is to have neutral furniture, carpets and wall color and then have a ball splashing color on the walls with art. Or, you could splash your fave color on the wall, and put neutral things up. Surely you have favorite colors? Use them for your art, and make sure that your furniture blends with them. That's what balance is in home decorating, IMO.

But if you adore buying big paintings or prints, and you love many sorts of things, I don't think you should worry too much. Just buy what you love and put it up. If it doesn't work where you have put it, put it some other place.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:35 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,468,686 times
Over the years we've purchased many originals and prints without any regard for matching furniture color or drapery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating