Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 03:33 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

OMG, every single one of those rooms was hideously overdone.

I did like the backyards, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 09:03 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I hate two story
I hate hard wood floors
I didn't have to look at the rest of the photos

oh yeah I hate blue houses
You're just a hater, aren't ya?

Old 10-31-2015, 09:10 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
Ridiculously large, far too open, far too neutral, insane wastes of space everywhere. I did like the rough hewn dining table and bench - not the chairs.

I didn't scroll through the whole thing because my computer is being annoying. This, to me, is a magazine house. I can't imagine actually being comfortable and relaxed in it.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:41 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I don't like the facade with all the competing gables. That's ugly as well as all the windows of different sizes and design. Hard on the eyes.

Inside, I love hardwood floors but they are not practical in a kitchen or bathroom. One overflowed toilet or a pan of spilled food or water and there go your floors.

I don't like open floor plans, they are not homey or cozy. They, and the two story ceilings wouldn't work in the northeast because since heat rises, you'd be freezing downstairs while too warm upstairs.

One of the kitchens (the white one) at least looks workable and convenient. One of the bedrooms, the one with a chair and footstool, looked comfy. The home office looked easy to work in and attractive.

A lot of these homes seem like places for architects to show off and do things "just because they can." But if you were to live there, it wouldn't be very comfortable or easy on the upkeep.

(Double staircase and the swing, lol, are just dumb.)

Old 11-06-2015, 12:25 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,807 times
I like neutral walls for my own space, because I have a lot of pictures to hang on them, and want to have colorful bedding and pillows. There weren't enough bright pops of color for my taste; but I did like the black and white tile flooring of the smaller bathroom. The yard was attractive; but as a dog owner, if I had a house, I'd want a fenced backyard with some grass.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:19 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
I liked the black and white "ginko" floor tile in the bathroom as well.

Otherwise - not a fan of all that white. All the rooms were overkill, as far as size and "decorator touches" - doesn't look like actual people live in any of them.

Didn't care for that double staircase, either.

I realize that these are all individual photos, but just going by the individual rooms, each of the houses must be 4,000-5,000 sf. I have no wish to live in a house that big.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:32 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Like the outside a lot. Hate the open floor plan and all that white. I would feel like I was living in an institution. It's not warm and inviting to me. I also think all that white would be a pain to keep clean or would look dirty and dingy fairly quickly, especially the couches.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:34 AM

196 posts, read 175,347 times
I can sit for hours and look at houses and floor plans. I never get tired of it and can recall really great houses by name based on their history, their designer or who used to live in them. I thin the OP's thread is great and we should do it more often.

But, about the house.. I liked the exterior photos best out of all of the other photos. The house was cookie cutter but those interior pics were mostly UCK!
It had no shutters. False shutters are tacky and just add to the cost. if you're going to have them, make them real.
No dormers. That's wasted space and added cost but it did have an eye catching facade with the multiple roof pitches. I also liked that it had more than one size window. Nothing says dull like 27 of the same thing. Stone foundation, yes. Appealing front door, yes. The only thing I did NOT like were the side light windows; I prefer transom windows, even indoors.

Floor plant too open, huge heating costs and the floor will always be cold. Who wants to clean that much house?
Too white, too monochromatic. Just too bland. Furniture too generic. Walls and drapes boring.

I liked the garage, the smaller patio, glass front cabinets, the extra prep sink, the big kitchen window, the extra large range top, the island, the storage stairs, the WALK IN CLOSET, and the cool couch/ bar.

Other than that, the house would be monstrous and no one has double stairs anymore. Not at all practical.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:54 AM

196 posts, read 175,347 times
I don't think they design houses for efficiency and comfort. When I walk into a house I don't want to see the best part and I don't want to see the living room where everyone lies around in their pajamas. A house should have a greeting area and a coat closet at the front door, a guest bathroom in the main hall and easy access to the kitchen from the front door.

I think that's why I like Victorians. I like pocket doors and window seats and built in book shelves. I think summer kitchens are a great idea and a butlers pantry makes way more sense than a basement full of toys.

My dream house would have two ovens and a conservatory.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:57 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,635 times
Gorgeous inside and out. I love that double staircase!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating