Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 06:28 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times

Advertisements

Always had them until we moved here. I prefer them over a smooth ceiling (shows every imperfection). Cleaning is a breeze. Just use a lamb duster on a pole. They also mute sounds to some extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 06:41 PM

In the mid-late sixties I lived in Minneapolis. There were a lot of houses with ceiling textured with popcorn and something (plaster?) was pulled down from them. It created different length "spikes" that we would toss Styrofoam balls onto. Remember those orange ones for putting on your car antenna so you could find your car in a parking lot? Worked great until every car had one. We painted ours lime green so they stood out. That worked until...

Anyway, we were a bunch of stoners and we would leave one on the ceiling in the same place for a while then either remove it or put it somewhere else. Laugh a minute watching some stoned guest spend time trying to find it.

The simplicity of being young in the sixties...

Old 11-14-2015, 10:01 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I'm wondering since a few of you have said this, do you not have peripheral vision up and down? Do you HAVE to STARE at a ceiling to even SEE it? I can look at the TV at eye level and still see the ceiling in my living room, and it's a normal height. When I walk in, the ceiling is only a couple feet over my head (normal 8 ft ceilings) and I can see them all the way down the hall even when looking straight ahead. Why think that you have to sit around STARING upward to see a ceiling? It's one of the four surfaces you see when waling through a room or down a hallway, and the way some of you obsess over flooring and wall color, I'd think you would at least care as much about the fourth surface you can see clearly.

While I am a popcorn lover, yes, I have stated this here before.

I think the other posters mean obviously they can see it, but not to the extent where they are looking up at it all day long, thus making it not that bothersome either way.

but its the least surface that anyone really pays that much attention to, I would think, hence some of the posters stating, they don't care either way.......

Old 11-14-2015, 10:24 PM

I am amazed at the reactions some have to a popcorn ceiling. It's a ceiling.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:46 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I am amazed at the reactions some have to a popcorn ceiling. It's a ceiling.
You can say the same about a wall or a floor. Yet we have many threads devoted to finding JUST the right paint color or JUST the right wood. Why bother, as it's just a wall or just a floor, right?

Old 11-16-2015, 09:11 AM

156 posts, read 303,295 times
For some reason I think of dark dingy homes with yellowed ceilings from smokers. I don't remember them much from living in Madison, WI but when we moved to the suburbs in WA they were prevalent in the 60's and 70's homes. I think a lot of people tended to not freshly paint them.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:38 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I'm wondering since a few of you have said this, do you not have peripheral vision up and down? Do you HAVE to STARE at a ceiling to even SEE it? I can look at the TV at eye level and still see the ceiling in my living room, and it's a normal height. When I walk in, the ceiling is only a couple feet over my head (normal 8 ft ceilings) and I can see them all the way down the hall even when looking straight ahead. Why think that you have to sit around STARING upward to see a ceiling? It's one of the four surfaces you see when waling through a room or down a hallway, and the way some of you obsess over flooring and wall color, I'd think you would at least care as much about the fourth surface you can see clearly.
I'm sitting here looking at my tv. Yes, I can see the ceiling somewhat, but not enough to describe in any sort of detail about the ceiling. My eyes are focused elsewhere. The same is true when walking around the house. Yes, I see the ceilings, but I am not focused on them.

We looked at an open house yesterday. We were probably in the house for about 20 minutes before my So pointed out the popcorn ceilings. I looked up, acknowledged that "oh yeah, they are" and quickly forgot about the ceiling until I saw this thread.

As long as the ceilings are white, and in good condition I don't really care what texture they are. We looked at one house that had the ceilings painted a dark red. Now that you notice even without staring at the ceiling.

Another house had those drop ceiling panels in the kitchen. That was the first thing I noticed about the house. But popcorn ceiling? Unless you walk around looking at the ceiling its not all that noticeable.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:14 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I live in a late 80s house that still has popcorn on much of the second floor. I am totally indifferent to it and I don't really pay much attention to a white ceiling. Sure, the ceiling is in my field of vision, but if I'm not particularly focused at the ceiling, I don't really notice it. I definitely don't plan on spending the money to remove the texture anytime soon.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:31 PM

27,335 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I am totally against them. I've lived in, and know people who live in rented homes and apts with those gaudy ceilings and in all experiences, landlords use it to hide those brown spots on the ceilings caused by roof leaks or leaks from an upstairs apt or bathroom. I've also seen ceilings cave in, all over the kitchen, or living room, or bedroom due to this issue. Landlords think they're saving money by simply hiding the problem. WRONG! It ends up costing more in the long run.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:03 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I didn't pay a lot, I just had it removed when I had the interior painted and some wallpaper removed. It's not often you put the $ into a whole house paint like I did so I wasn't going to cheap out for a few more dollars. Also, I had it tested years before and I was told there was a small percent of asbestos in it. I told the painter, he didn't care or believe it was a risk. He was local and had been working in he area, painting and removing, for years. Glad I didn't pay thousands for the men in hazmat suits who wanted to "help me" after giving me my test results.

My parents have the texture in their house and kind of like it. I don't know why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating