Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 09:20 AM

936 posts, read 2,078,475 times

Advertisements

The carpet is old, the image is misleading. It has very long hair so it may look newer. Should I just replace the carpet in the DR with matching wood and have carpet (existing or new) in the living room since the living room is sunken by itself. This way I save on the cost, have wood in the dinning area and warm cozy carpet in the living room. I have no furniture right now. I like the idea of a mantle shell for the fire place. Should I paint the bricks around the fireplace a different color? If I were to replace the carpet, I think I have to coordinate the paint color with the carpet color. I like blue/gray paint, cool color. I like the suggestion of one single color. Do you like these color schemes?

Or this

Or this

Or this

I have a 3 year old kid. My fiance will move in with me in April. We plan to have one more child.

Last edited by jimmybirdie; 12-05-2015 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 10:16 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,878,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
The carpet is old, the image is misleading. It has very long hair so it may look newer. Should I just replace the carpet in the DR with matching wood and have carpet (existing or new) in the living room since the living room is sunken by itself. This way I save on the cost, have wood in the dinning area and warm cozy carpet in the living room.
I like this plan. Wood in DR, new carpet in LR. Ask the wood guy to quote the whole space, though. It may not be THAT much more to do wood throughout.

No tile. Tile is the worst. It's cold, hard and grout is . Plus, when you want to change it down the line, it's THAT much harder to get rid of than the other choices.

I'm terrible at choosing colors, so I will defer to the pros here for that.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:23 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,319,254 times
Carpet in the dining room is a "no-no" in my opinion. Would you put carpet in the kitchen? Hopefully, not.

I think carpet should be reserved for bedrooms but I personally prefer hardwood throughout the home and tile in the basement.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:56 AM

318 posts, read 372,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree completely. I don't even think I would mess with the ceiling. A popcorn ceiling really is not that big a deal, unless you're going to be on HGTV in the next few months.
Meh, if I had the opportunity to remove it here in some rooms of my current house I would have- some of us hated this texture before crappy HGTV shows told us to. My house it's a little less thick then the OP's pictures. If you personally loath the look, the test is cheap and if that comes back clear the whole process is pretty straightforward and doesn't cost much at all. Changed the look of my mothers finished basement. she didn't want me "making a mess" but when it was done she was really happy with the final outcome. Obviously we gained nothing really in actual ceiling height, but visually it looked like we did.

Quote:
Should I just replace the carpet in the DR with matching wood and have carpet (existing or new) in the living room since the living room is sunken by itself. This way I save on the cost, have wood in the dinning area and warm cozy carpet in the living room.
That would work. The nice part is that area is away from entry doors. Go with a good vinyl carpet and properly care for it (avoid outside shoes, bare feet oils- wear socks, have it cleaned at points) and carpet looks new for years. I'd avoid going too light with little kids or pets. anything with variations in shade are also helpful in providing a pattern so if a slight stain happens it's more hidden. And don't get a Dyson. the beater bars on those vacuums shred your carpet fibers. (poly carpets age prematurely, show walking paths, flatten etc. they keep coming out with ones they promise are better- but it's been the same story for decades)

Old 12-05-2015, 11:42 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,480,259 times
It sounds like you really want wood in both the dining and living area. If doing both is out for now, I'd do the wood in the dining room now, live with the existing carpet, and save the "carpet $" to go towards wood in the living room. You'll have to have a little patience, but you'll get what you want in the end.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:38 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,181,244 times
Dining room - one N. There is no such thing as a dinning room.

I prefer hardwood all over, with a rug in the living room. If that's not in the budget, then go with hardwood in the dining room and carpet in the living room - the fact that it's sunken does help since there is a more natural division between the rooms. But overall, having the same flooring for the entire living area makes it look more spacious and pulled together.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:20 PM

From your input I have decided to install wood in the dining room. Hope I can find something that matches the existing wood closely. I am not sure what type of wood it is but the look, and feel is similar to the hardwood of a basketball court at the gyms.

I will install carpet in the living room area since it is naturally isolated from the hallway, dining room and kitchen. It will have less traffic. I also like the softer and warmer feel of carpet. In addition I can save money. Do you think pattern or decorated carpet are OK? Or do you prefer solid colors for my living room?

I am leaning toward a modern rectangular dining table, since someone mentioned that this house is "modern". What do you think?

Old 12-06-2015, 04:41 PM

41,924 posts, read 75,118,489 times
I'm not a fan of patterned carpet, but since you're using it in a limited area, it might be OK.

Is there no wood under the existing carpet?

Old 12-06-2015, 05:22 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,982,727 times
Patterned carpets are more expensive.

The second one shown is a combination loop and plush. I have it in two rooms. I love it, but the cats get a little po'd when their toe nails get caught on the loop.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm not a fan of patterned carpet, but since you're using it in a limited area, it might be OK.

Is there no wood under the existing carpet?
I don't know what's under the carpet. I assume that it is just concrete slab. Is there any reason anyone would cover up hardwood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating