Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 01:29 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,363,735 times

Advertisements

I've got a large china cabinet in the dining room, which is pretty sparsely decorated as it is. I was thinking it'd be interesting to arrange something on the top of the china cabinet, but I have no idea what. Vases? What sort? Can anyone come up with some suggestions that are a little original?

The colour scheme right now is really neutral. Beige walls, white table, chairs, and china cabinet. I could continue with that colour scheme, or add a bit of a different colour... ideas please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 02:39 PM

7,243 posts, read 7,064,876 times
How far to the ceiling?

Old 12-12-2015, 02:48 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,433,552 times
Without knowing how much wall space between the cabinet and the ceiling its hard to say. Also, what your overall decorating style is......i.e. modern, traditional, something else, etc. Can you post a pic of the cabinet in question?

Absent more info, I would have the following suggestions. Add color. Larger is better.

A birdcage with greenery. Google birdcage décor/decorating and look at images.

An oblong brass or copper planter with silk ivy or other vine type foliage that spreads across and drapes down the side.

Maybe a large piece of art resting on the cabinet leaning against the wall.

A large statue.........like a budda in a color or anything really that you like that is large but rather horizontal.

A large round flat basket with perhaps other baskets off to the side.

If you have any color in the dishes you use when eating there, perhaps pull that color out.

A collection of large vases, either in your chosen color or something like mercury glass that adds shine.

Something opposite than everything else in the room. Example, if you have a lot of straight lines add something circular/curvy/irregular. If you have a lot of curvy lines on furniture, add something more straight lined.

Maybe just one large floral decoration in the middle that adds color and is the appropriate height/length to the space.

Go to some places like Pier One, Tuesday Morning, Homegoods, Marshalls, antique stores etc and see if there are things that catch your fancy and build from there.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:04 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,433,552 times
And one I forgot, serving trays elevated to art and or the correct height by putting them on small black Chinese type easel stands.

There are trays that match almost every décor.

You could do the same with large serving platters that match or coordinate with whatever china is in the cabinet.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:41 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,006,208 times
if the hutch is sparely decorated now why not decorate inside that and you might not need anything on top. sometimes when people decorate the top of the hutch (on top of an already full inside) it can have an overall look that you are overflowing with too much stuff.

as Blondy said go to some fun stores and buy yourself some color. just buy a few neat item that have the common color add it to a few white dishes and bowls, maybe add 4 tall glasses and call it good. or if you want pick some kind of theme or decorating style and go in that direction. in such a small space you won't need to spend a lot or get a lot of things to make a great impact.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:35 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,363,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
How far to the ceiling?
It's about 2 and 1/2 feet between the top of the cabinet to the ceiling. The cabinet is around 4 and 1/2 feet wide. Maybe one foot deep on top. I haven't measured it exactly. It's not an oversize cabinet.

Large enough to pile a few things up there, maybe two rows deep depending upon what the objects are...

Old 12-12-2015, 05:10 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,235 times
Don't "junk" it up....keep it simple....

A basket with several fake flowers is on top of mine....

Old 12-12-2015, 05:32 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,426,806 times
I would stick with a 'theme' I collect transferware jugs and pitchers so that's whats on the top of my dresser.

Maybe a collection of cream coloured jugs/vases/vessels ???
Attached Thumbnails
Decorating the top of a china cabinet - Ideas needed-cream-jug.jpg  

Old 12-12-2015, 05:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
I have been buying white china pieces for about 15 or so years now, and my collection is arranged on top of my antique china cabinet. I like the way it looks. I buy blown glass fishing weight balls from time to time, and I put them into the tops of some of the vases. At Christmas, I put ornaments among the china pieces. Above the collection, I have a limited ed. print of a painting of an Alaskan glacier. Somehow this all works--at least to my eye.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:38 PM

15,141 posts, read 27,756,930 times
I agree with don't "junk it up" - does it "NEED" something on top?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating