Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:04 AM

936 posts, read 2,080,703 times

Advertisements

Since I am buying a house that needs to be painted and I have no furniture. I have decided that I will hire an Interior Designer for 2 hours. The cost will be about $400 but I think it will worth it. I am terrible in picking paint colors. I am also very indecisive regarding furniture selection. Initially I worried about the cost but this Interior Designer doesn't force you to buy anything from her or stores that associated with her. Just straight up consulting fee for $200 an hour. She is highly rated on yelp with many reviews.

Have you used Interior Designers and are you generally happy with the suggestions? I wonder if there might be a chance that her style will not match mine. Are interior designers flexible enough to make suggestions based on client's personality and style?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 11:32 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
I would look at her portfolio before hiring her.

For example, my wife and I are modern to contemporary people.
For that reason, I would never this woman https://magnoliamarket.com/about/ in spite of her obvious decorating talent.

Yes, we have hired a designer and have been happy with the results.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:37 PM

914 posts, read 1,136,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I would look at her portfolio before hiring her.

For that reason, I would never this woman https://magnoliamarket.com/about/ in spite of her obvious decorating talent.

Yes, we have hired a designer and have been happy with the results.
You mean you don't like French Country in every room?

Good idea though about getting someone that specializes in your tastes.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:39 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
We have one showing up tomorrow for the same reasons. $65/hr though, so quite a bit cheaper, but we are on the other coast.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:22 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I like contemporary too and think the designer you linked did a superb job on updating this ranch:
https://magnoliamarket.com/our-show/...raggedy-ranch/
I'd hire her in a heartbeat if I could afford her!

Old 12-14-2015, 06:41 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,589,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
Since I am buying a house that needs to be painted and I have no furniture. I have decided that I will hire an Interior Designer for 2 hours. The cost will be about $400 but I think it will worth it. I am terrible in picking paint colors. I am also very indecisive regarding furniture selection. Initially I worried about the cost but this Interior Designer doesn't force you to buy anything from her or stores that associated with her. Just straight up consulting fee for $200 an hour. She is highly rated on yelp with many reviews.

Have you used Interior Designers and are you generally happy with the suggestions? I wonder if there might be a chance that her style will not match mine. Are interior designers flexible enough to make suggestions based on client's personality and style?

I use my hubby of 34 years... I have realized I might be kinda colored blind or something, I look at so many I can't decide , so I describe to him what I'm looking for, the feel of the color to the mood , he picks it out and nail it!

Old 12-14-2015, 06:58 PM

61,665 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
That's pretty expensive to be told what to do with your own house. If you have no clue, she will decide on generic colors and furniture styles. Your house will look like a staged place without personality.

Quote:
Not sure, how she supposed to find out your personality and style in two hours. Obviously you don't have own "style", so you better to be happy with her suggestions - you're paying big bucks for it.

I would rather spend some time on the net and check interior design websites. Then decide what I like and want to have in MY house. Later on just hire a designer to arrange stuff I decided to buy.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:00 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,181,548 times
I did the exact same thing about a year or so ago. Hired a decorator and paid her for 2 hours of work at a total of only about $150 solely to bounce ideas off for paint colors. Just wanted to hear suggestions from a professional who would get us to think outside our usual comfort zones in terms of what colors to use and where (we wanted several accent walls). My husband and I had some differing ideas she proved to be a good "tie breaker" when needed, if that makes sense.

We were very pleased with the results.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:25 PM

318 posts, read 372,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
That's pretty expensive to be told what to do with your own house. If you have no clue, she will decide on generic colors and furniture styles. Your house will look like a staged place without personality.

Not sure, how she supposed to find out your personality and style in two hours. Obviously you don't have own "style", so you better to be happy with her suggestions - you're paying big bucks for it.

I would rather spend some time on the net and check interior design websites. Then decide what I like and want to have in MY house. Later on just hire a designer to arrange stuff I decided to buy.
Meh, a good one for the right person can save plenty of money. With the price of paint now, get the colour right on the first go and the designer was worth her time at $400.

I adore my grandmother, she knew what she liked, but any decorating project she tried never turned out the way she envisioned. She'd get frustrated and go back to the store for a different paint etc. I knew what look she was after (not my style at all) and made selections she gasped at, but the final product WAS what her mind envisioned. Her style, not mine. Many people can't translate a fabric swatch, paint chip and visualize accurately what it would look like in real life. A good designer doesn't simply churn out lifeless magazine rooms. The good ones will tailor the choices to the taste and lifestyle of the owner (like choosing the best finishes that stand up to toddlers if little ones are in the house. or a fabric that releases hair easily if the owner has a lab dog.)

Old 12-15-2015, 12:01 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I like contemporary too and think the designer you linked did a superb job on updating this ranch:
https://magnoliamarket.com/our-show/...raggedy-ranch/
I'd hire her in a heartbeat if I could afford her!
I like contemporary too....the Raggedy Ranch was better than the other two I looked at, which were VERY French Country. And the Ranch did have some things I wasn't fond of, like the "to the moon and back" sign and the clock collection....too cutesy kitsch....and too much fake greenery in all their designs. But I digress...and to each his/her own, right?

If I were the OP, I would definitely NOT hire someone without looking at their portfolio. He may not know what his "style" is, but he will know what he likes and doesn't like when he sees it. And maybe he doesn't realize that every decorator has his/her own style that they prefer and lean on, so it's not like you can hire just any decorator to pull off your preferred style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating